Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newgrange winter solstice

• 03-10-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever been to the solstice inside in Newgrange? Just found out today that I won a ticket to see it. Just wondering what the experience was like?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

siblers wrote: »
    Hello, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever been to the solstice inside in Newgrange? Just found out today that I won a ticket to see it. Just wondering what the experience was like?
    You're in the right forum.
    Opinions differ on the Newgrange 'experience'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

it may be possible to encounter de-ja-vu as part of the overall experience....:pac:

/you lucky sod....:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was there myself back in the 80's. It's impressive or at least it was to me. Your milage may vary of course. Now I was very lucky that it was a cloudless(and bloody cold) day, so if it's overcast then it's not gonna be much cop. The thing is it's also observable on the days(nay fortnight) either side of the main event. Not as spectacular but still impressive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I was there a couple of years ago, was pretty amazing as there was cloud on the horizon and instead of a slow beam moving into the chamber we got a massive blast out of nowhere. Quite spectacular.

You stand in darkness for quite a while so your eyes get used to the low light, then if all goes well a sliver of light appears on the floor which widens and moves across it.

There's usually a bit of fuss in the centre, you get the bus over and then back for a great breakfast. The year I was inside the place was snowed over so the centre was closed and there was no crowd outside. They got rid of the places for politicians and their cronies as far as I know and there's a competition for a group of schoolchildren to get in instead from what I gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I did it a few years ago but unfortunately it was over cast. Still a lovely experience being up there so early. Cold though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There were 30,000 entrants and 50 people got drawn. The fella who I went with also got his name drawn out which seems pretty crazy. They run it from the 18th to the 23rd, i'm due to go on the 20th. I always thought it only ever happened on one day. I wouldn't mind doing it the same day as the dignitaries get to do it, might to see some interesting folk, although it'd probably just be the usual smattering of political folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

It's all changed now, isn't it? No celebrities, politicians and the like. That was the way last year anyway, I recall reading it in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

siblers wrote: »
    There were 30,000 entrants and 50 people got drawn. The fella who I went with also got his name drawn out which seems pretty crazy. They run it from the 18th to the 23rd, i'm due to go on the 20th. I always thought it only ever happened on one day. I wouldn't mind doing it the same day as the dignitaries get to do it, might to see some interesting folk, although it'd probably just be the usual smattering of political folk.

Next time you and your mate are doing the lotto will you let me know? :D

I've been putting my name into the Solstice draw since it started but no luck so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sacredireland

Hey, congratulations on winning the ticket! Not sure if im in the right thread, but I cannot seem to find a place to announce Winter Solstice Experience - our through the night Solstice celebration, Newgrange & Dowth this year.

If there is anyone looking for a beautiful time together to celebrate Solstice, we've created a whole night and a morning experience/journey (with healings, meditations, sweat lodge, drumming circle) before we all head up to Newgrange for sunrise and join in the crowds: www.wintersolstice.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Not sure if im in the right thread, but I cannot seem to find a place to announce Winter Solstice Experience - our through the night Solstice celebration, Newgrange & Dowth this year.

You should contact Boards.ie advertising.

• Advertisement
Advertisement