Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dimmer switch

Options
  • 03-10-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a 3 bulb chandeler in my sitting room and i use a dimmer switch on it . While its on i can hear a humming coming from the switch. Today i got energy saving bulbs for this light and when i turn it on now the humming has got a bit louder. I wonder can i fix this and is it still safe with this noise.

Thanking You :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi I have a 3 bulb chandeler in my sitting room and i use a dimmer switch on it . While its on i can hear a humming coming from the switch. Today i got energy saving bulbs for this light and when i turn it on now the humming has got a bit louder. I wonder can i fix this and is it still safe with this noise.

Thanking You :)

hi Johnny, what type of lamps did you get, dimmer switches can be annoying, sometimes changing them to a higher rating can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Stoner wrote: »
    hi Johnny, what type of lamps did you get, dimmer switches can be annoying, sometimes changing them to a higher rating can help.

Hi STONER, thanks for your reply. I fitted 3 eveready 7 watt golf ball bulbs. The room has 2 switches for this light , one the dimmer and 1 the ordinary on/off switch. Even when I turn on light by the on/off switch the dimmer still noises. I know the dimmer can be troublesome and i am lucky it lights the bulbs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Most dimmers (AFAIK) won't work properly with energy savers - so you should swap that bulb out for an ordinary incandescent one.

Do you know what sort of dimmer you have? Sometimes it's a byproduct of the way it works - sometimes a more expensive one will have components in it to reduce the buzzing...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Prenderb wrote: »
    Most dimmers (AFAIK) won't work properly with energy savers - so you should swap that bulb out for an ordinary incandescent one.

Do you know what sort of dimmer you have? Sometimes it's a byproduct of the way it works - sometimes a more expensive one will have components in it to reduce the buzzing...

Hi i had ordinary bulbs in but one blew so i said i would go down the energy saving root. The dimmer is a brass effect one but i dont know the make. Is this sound dangerous or just a bit of a bother to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agentsmith

not an expect in electrical matters but looking at changing CFl bulb on dimmer also to LED bulb and came across this which sounds like your issue

http://www.universal-lighting.co.uk/buying-guides/choosing_the_correct_dimmer_switch

seems buzzing noise related to correct dimmer switch being installed/used i.e. trailing or leading edge depending on bulb etc as buzz sound due to arcing due to load

house is 10yr old so assume all my dimmer switches are leading edge for incandescent bulbs so not really suitable/optimal for CFL/LED?

• Advertisement
Advertisement