Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what age?

Options
  • 03-10-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Well my little man is nearly 6 months and it seems as though we disturb him when we are all asleep in the one room. So tonight we are gonna sleep in the spare room which will be our room anyway when the times right. Thing is, are we doing it too early. Or when have others tried?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

It's not too early, there is no "too early", different times suit different people. I have friends who's baby never slept in the same room, was straight in her own room from the hospital (they said it was a bit of a brain fart and they just never considered the option of putting the cot in their room, but there were never any issues), others who had the baby with them until 1 or more. If you're disturbing his sleep it's a good time to do it, what do you think would be gained from staying in the same room if he's being disturbed? No reason not to put him in his own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We have just put our 19 week old son into his own room since last night. We did it for two reasons, firstly we were all disturbing each others sleep for the past few weeks. Secondly, I know if we left it much later he it would be much harder to move him. I wasn't prepared for how it would affect me though! I felt really sad going to bed and being able to turn the light on!! He slept the night and woke up laughing and talking to himself. If he was upset I would have brought the cot back into our room.
    I know from other experiences, such as moving him to his cot which we did at 4 weeks as he'd outgrown the Moses basket. At the time I was so sad and I felt the cot was massive but he was so young it wasn't an issue with him. I think it's the same with his own room. He is still young enough for it not to bother him. I say this after one night, tonight could be a different story! Hopefully not. I think it's an each to their own situation. Whatever suits your family. Good luck with it!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We had our little girl out at 10 weeks. Bottle fed though, so was easier. First one was moved out at 12 weeks. It's what ever works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

SS I think there's a week or so between our babies and my LO is spending her first night in her own room! We have been himming and hawing about this since she was 9 weeks old really! However the 4 month sleep regression out scupper to our plans as I didn't fancy going back and forth to her room even if it is next door... I wanted to wait until her sleep improved before moving her and when it did we were back at the stage where we were disturbing her going to bed and my husband can be an awful snorer at times too. She does wake most nights for a feed about 4 but I have a rocking chair in her room so don't mind going in :)

So far so good, she's been up there since 7 although the night is young yet! Had to happen sometime but it pulls on the heart strings none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

We put our little fella into his own room about 3weeks ago for the exact same reason. I felt we were disturbing him when we went to bed and when we were moving in bed. I wasnt sleeping at all either for fear of waking him.

It has worked out great even if i was a bit nervous at first.

Before we moved him we made a decision that we do it on a specific day so it gave me time to get used to the idea and i guess feel better about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I put my little fella in his own room at 14 weeks it was when we had the really warm weather in July our room was showing 30 on the thermomitor and his room was reading 23 so I said I would try him in there. He was also moving from his cradle to his big cot aswel. We had placed him in the big cot a few times while we were doing things upstairs and he never had an issue so he was used to the cot. I was very nervous about him in his own room and I felt sad that he was no longer beside me in the cradle. I use the baby monitor all the time even tho he's only across the hall and the doors are open. Anyway best decision I ever made moving him in there. He started to sleep the whole night through...me on the other hand was up checking on him every few hrs even tho I could see him on the monitor. He is 6.5 months now and we have never had any issues and we're all getting a good nights sleep :-) hope it goes well for you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My boy is almost 4 months and we're thinking of moving him out this weekend. In the last week we've noticed that any small sound or movement we make disturbs him but when he is there alone from his bedtime (about 8pm) to when we go to bed he doesn't stir at all. I really feel we are disturbing him and he certainly disturbs us.

He's still breastfed but some nights doesn't need a feed until about 8am. My concern is that he wakes up for his dummy a lot, Some nights every 30 minutes or so. We're weighing up whether it's worth it or not, but maybe if he is in his own room he wouldn't wake up so often anyway (we're wondering if maybe noises we make in our sleep are actually making him stir and then he wants his dummy). Who knows and only one way to find out! It's so hard to know though, isn't it?

OP, I don't think it's too early at all if it works for you. Some people I know had their babies in their own rooms from a few weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Remember you could try it for a couple of nights and if you dont feel comfortable move him back to your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Thanks all feeling less silly about been all emotional about it now. I thought I was been silly. It's sad to think he'll be all alone but I know he won't want for anything.

Here's hoping it all goes well tonight. Will update in the morning. Hopefully I'll sleep

Well how went it. I add another voice to those saying there is no "too early". It is when you feel ready overall. We have one child so far and she has been in her own room since day 1 at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We're hoping to move A at 6 months. We found O slept much better once we moved him at that age. We're gong through 4-5 month sleep regression so no point in doing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We took both our sons out of our room at 6 months with no issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 1st was about 13 months but that was due to a house move,my 2nd was 12 months,my 3rd was 6 months because he slept all night and once he gets to sleep he does not mind where!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

We moved our little one out at 8 weeks- she was a good sleeper at night from the start so felt there was no need for her to be in our room and we just had the crib in our room and the last few nights before we moved her she kept waking up as she would hit her hands on the bars.

I think it's each to their own really- if your disturbing him then no harm trying as he may sleep better.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

We moved our son at 3 months because he outgrew the crib and the cot wouldn't fit in our room. Our daughter is six months now and she is still in with us because we bought a cosleeper crib this time around. Also while pregnant this time, i read that there is a greater chance of SIDS for babies who sleep in a separate room to their parents (http://www.isisonline.org.uk/where_babies_sleep/room_alone/) and since I am terrified of SIDS I decided we'd wait until at least six months this time. (Plus the 4/5 month sleep regression was hell with my son because of separate rooms. I hadn't realised sleep regressions even existed when we moved him to his own room!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We're trialling our boy in his room tonight. He goes down at about 8pm and we give him a dream feed at around 11.30pm. Tonight we put him down in his own room at 8 with the baby monitor on and now we're in our room baby free! It's weird but nice and he's sleeping away. we've hardly heard a peep out of him.

When we do the dream feed at 11.30pm we'll put him back next to me in his crib in our room for the rest of the night. We were thinking we'll do it this way for a week or two to ease us all into it and then see about doing it full time.

Well due to teething it was a tough first couple of nights. But now he's settling again it's usually 1 feed around 4am change him back into the cot (same as when in our room) and 2 mins later asleep again. He has started gettin up at 7.30 used to be 9 or 10 but I can handle this (even though I'm 12 weeks pregnant and so tired) I realise we have it good in comparison to some couples. Tomorrow is his 6 month jabs so I'm sure that will put a spanner in there somewhere.

But all in all having him in his own room (killed me at first) is working great and on daddy's night up for the feed I don't stir at all but been in the one room I'd be up too and really exhausted by the end of a week

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Well due to teething it was a tough first couple of nights. But now he's settling again it's usually 1 feed around 4am change him back into the cot (same as when in our room) and 2 mins later asleep again. He has started gettin up at 7.30 used to be 9 or 10 but I can handle this (even though I'm 12 weeks pregnant and so tired) I realise we have it good in comparison to some couples. Tomorrow is his 6 month jabs so I'm sure that will put a spanner in there somewhere.

But all in all having him in his own room (killed me at first) is working great and on daddy's night up for the feed I don't stir at all but been in the one room I'd be up too and really exhausted by the end of a week

My little guy used to sleep till 8 or after and for the last week his new wake up time is between 5 and 5.30... Not fun! I don't think it has anything to do with him being in his own room I really think he's happy there. Hoping its just a phase. With him being up so early I am trying to get to bed really early. With him in his own room I can now go to bed early and relax with a book before I go to sleep. Wouldn't be possible if he was still in with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

6 months is perfect. Hse guidelines. Say that you should keep child in the same room as the parents for the first 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Teething issues here too. My LO has been cruising along for a few months while teething however a demon seems to have taken over the last few days! I can see the edge of the tooth since Monday and get a very sharp nip when I put my finger in so hopefully it won't take much longer! Must be very painful, she's just not herself and as a result getting her down for naps and at night is challenging whereas she usually goes down easy!

Sleeping in her room is working out though, she just wakes at 4 for a feed but otherwise fine! Fair play to you doing all this while pregnant, you must be absolutely bushed!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

6 months is perfect. Hse guidelines. Say that you should keep child in the same room as the parents for the first 6 months.
    Really? I got the HSE cot death booklet and I don't remember that! :)

We put our baby into his own room at 3 months because he literally could not fit into the Moses basket anymore, and we couldn't fit his cot into our room anymore. It was GREAT. We all slept better straight away.

Digs wrote: »
    Teething issues here too. My LO has been cruising along for a few months while teething however a demon seems to have taken over the last few days! I can see the edge of the tooth since Monday and get a very sharp nip when I put my finger in so hopefully it won't take much longer! Must be very painful, she's just not herself and as a result getting her down for naps and at night is challenging whereas she usually goes down easy!

Sleeping in her room is working out though, she just wakes at 4 for a feed but otherwise fine! Fair play to you doing all this while pregnant, you must be absolutely bushed!!

Well if I thought teething was bad enough he got 3 injections yesterday and my god it was awful come half 11 last night. He had a temperature and still hasn't fully gone yet. At half 8 this mornin he got worse again and eventually slept at 11 and since he woke up he's been great. In flying form even though temp isn't fully down but he's gettin somethin do for it all the same. Last injections weren't this bad but 6 month jab is horrible!!!

But him in his own room still goin great.
    I'm totally shattered which is killing my head with migraines but tonight I'm off duty hubby is gettin up. I don't advise been pregnant with baby already it's hard. Will be worth it but right now it's hard

Advertisement