Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedtest giving totally wrong results?

• 03-10-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am on a Vodafone DSL connection, LLU Exchange. The connections syncs at 15mb, and is rock solid with SNR margin of 6.2 and attenuation of 26.

Up until last week I was always getting about 13mb on speedtest.net. Then out of the blue, EVERY evening speedtest.net reports my connection as between 1 and 2mb.

I was worried at first so I downloaded ubuntu through utorrent and the connection gave a solid speed of 1.4 megabytes, so pretty close to what speedtest was telling my in megabits.

Netflix also streams in superhd.

How can speedtest be getting it so wrong every evening? Its perfect during the day, but come 19:00 its is useless!

The only thing that I can think of is that Eircom are installing the fibre cable around my town at the moment. Could they have done something to the hardware in the exchange that interferes with speedtest.net and not anything else?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Have you changed your antivirus recently?

I have noticed that real time scanners skew speed results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

No, nothing has changed. speedtest.net was giving the expected result at 18:00, now its only showing 2mb. Downloading a file from Heanet is slow aswell, it is downloading at about 220Kps, the same as the speedtest result. Do vodafone traffic shape at any times?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wytek

I was experiencing the same problems last night

usual speed for me is about 10mbs

noticed something wrong @ around 8pm sppedtest.net gave me a speed of 4mb

tested it a couple of times and by 11:30pm it was back to normal

Still good this morning - seemed to be a peak time issue, something I've never seen before with vodafone...

I'm on the Ferrybank, Waterford exchange

Wytek that sounds very similar to mine. I was watching netflix until about 11pm (which was streaming perfectly at superhd), and by the time I finished watching the speedtest had come back up to the usual 13.

It never happened to me before Monday. I dont want to ring the customer support though, their first action with anything like this is to drop the profile and reduce the speed even though the SNR margin is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Kencollins wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am on a Vodafone DSL connection, LLU Exchange. The connections syncs at 15mb, and is rock solid with SNR margin of 6.2 and attenuation of 26.

Up until last week I was always getting about 13mb on speedtest.net. Then out of the blue, EVERY evening speedtest.net reports my connection as between 1 and 2mb.

I was worried at first so I downloaded ubuntu through utorrent and the connection gave a solid speed of 1.4 megabytes, so pretty close to what speedtest was telling my in megabits.

Netflix also streams in superhd.

How can speedtest be getting it so wrong every evening? Its perfect during the day, but come 19:00 its is useless!

The only thing that I can think of is that Eircom are installing the fibre cable around my town at the moment. Could they have done something to the hardware in the exchange that interferes with speedtest.net and not anything else?

Thanks!

1.4MB/s (bytes) = 11.2Mb/s (bits) - which is close to your 13Mb/s

The work by Eircom should not affect the results on Speedtest.net unless you were testing on an Eircom node that was being worked on.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was happy with the speeds through utorrent. Add network overhead and its right on the 13mb.

I still don't know whats going on though!

Advertisement