Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UltraLight, Compact 3 Season Sleeping Bag under 200euro?

Options
  • 03-10-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hiya everyone.

Thinking about getting Super compact 3 season sleeping bag for decent price.

I will be using under wet-ish weather often so synthetic bag would be great?? :confused:

Light weight , and more importantly very compact to throw in my rucksack corner.

I already did some research on the internet but mostly USA based forums but weather is much different in EU.

Already looked at a couple of brands, such as Snugpak, Northface, Thermarest etc...

but I would like to hear from some experienced people ;)

heard good things about Alpkit. but looks bit big for ultralight range.

any recommendation will be much appreciated :)

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

A couple of years ago I picked up a Snugpak Softie Micro, (was ordered through Great Outdoors). Very light, packs small and pretty comfortable. To warm it up slightly I got a silk liner which adds a good bit of warmth with very little bulk.

That said I cannot seem to find it anymore on the Snugpak website so maybe not much use to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lennyantonelli

I have two sleeping bags for Irish use.

A Snugpak Chrysalis 3 synthetic bag, weighs 1.6Kg (so not particularly lightweight) and comfortable down to -5C. I know it's a bit on on the heavy side, but at €100 for a bag that's good down to that temperature I think it's hard to beat.

For warmer use I have a Lifeventure Downlight 900 that weights 900g. The comfort temperature is 5C, but for a man it should be fine down to the transition temperature of 2C. I'm actually keen to push the temperature limit of it with a sleeping bag liner, thermal PJs etc, to see how low it can perform to. Packs down real small too with a very clever vacuum pack. I have had some problems with down leaking from it though. Cost about €60 I think.

However next time I buy a bag I will definitely look at Alpkit. They seem highly regarded by UK hillwalkers and their combination of price, weight and performance seems hard to beat. I just ordered one of their Airo 120 self-inflating mats, packs down tiny and was only €60 and weighs less than 500g.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭tphase

back in '05 I picked up a GoLite Featherlite down bag in the US for the equivalent of about E80, can't remember the original price but it was seriously marked down I suspect because there was too much down in it and rated as a "2nd'. It's my main bag, I use it about 95% of the time and would rate it my best outdoor gear bargain. It's supposed to be a 2-season bag but is definitely warmer than that (2.5 or even 3 season). Weighs about 750g, I normally pack it in a 5l dry bag and it compresses to about half that. It has no hood and no zip which keeps the weight down but lack of a zip would put some off.

I was obviously very lucky to get a bag that suited my needs extremely cheaply but I'd be happy to pay a lot more for a bag that keeps me comfortable for a long number of years.

Personally I would not go back to synthetic bags. I kayak with down bags, never have a problem with them getting wet (ie with keeping them dry), weight is not a huge issue for me but space is so compact is my preference. If I need warmth, I can add a layer - liner, bivvy bag or a 2nd lightweight bag - all of which are easier to pack (in a boat or rucksack) than one large sleeping bag.

BTW I have an Alpkit bivvy bag, I think it was only STG30, packs nice and small and would certainly consider their sleeping bags next time I need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

I just ordered one of their Airo 120 self-inflating mats, packs down tiny and was only €60 and weighs less than 500g.

Thanks!

PS: Could you please do a review on Airo 120 matt when u get a chance to test it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lennyantonelli

I will do! I had intended to bring it to Kerry last weekend but it didn't arrive in time, only got here Monday. I guess I'll just have to plan another excursion. :-)

• Advertisement

did you manage to test airo 120?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i just bought an quilt from enlightement prodgy x 850 down havent tested it yet i'm a fair weather camper :D but great reports on it i paid 220 dolors for it packs small weight nothing :cool:
    if i see a few chilly dry nights coming from now till christmas i might camp out c how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've an Ajungilac (sp?) bag got it in 2000 for about 100 pounds.
    Bivvied out on Glaciers a few times, no bother.
    Comes in Zip-left/zip-right so I've a lighter one, we use when mrs C comes camping on Holiday

You have some inflation, but then you have textile advances too so you should get something decent for your budget.

i just bought an quilt from enlightement prodgy x 850 down havent tested it yet i'm a fair weather camper :D but great reports on it i paid 220 dolors for it packs small weight nothing :cool:
    if i see a few chilly dry nights coming from now till christmas i might camp out c how i get on.

Hey I'm ineterest in one of those Quilts and need some more info. how much do they charge for postage ot ireland? looking at Revelation or Revelation X.thanks in advance

Mac2010 wrote: »
    Hey I'm ineterest in one of those Quilts and need some more info. how much do they charge for postage ot ireland? looking at Revelation or Revelation X.thanks in advance
    i got a great deal from him TIM he's a real nice guy he paid for postage:cool:
    i paid 220 dollors its a well made quality quilt i couldn't fault it but im no expert either .
    if you want to see it before you buy pm me.

• Advertisement

i got a great deal from him TIM he's a real nice guy he paid for postage:cool:
    i paid 220 dollors its a well made quality quilt i couldn't fault it but im no expert either .
    if you want to see it before you buy pm me.

thanks mate! Free postage is awesome. Hope customs won't interfere with their tax duty etc:D
    large number of positive reviews on those Quilts. I'm lookign at Alpkit pipe dream range (used) on some auction sites at the moment. 220 dollars is not bad for decent bag. especially after converted to Euro:P

what was your model again ? Prodigy? whats the rating on the bag and compressed size and weight? cheers

i had the alpkit pipedream 400 great bag but useless in winter as i found out to my cost :D
    i wanted something that would pack fairly small/ 3 season/ light/ and the prodgy x ticked all those boxes.
    to be totally honest i'm a fair weather camper so dont take what i say as gospal.but i did read good reviews on the quilt on bikeforums.net american site.
    i asked the guy Tim if he done a deal on the postage i would buy from him :D
    well you can't beat a fella for trying he's a nice guy, i didnt have to pay postge or tax as he paid both.he has a new range of quilts at the moment 4 season i think but if you camp in cold winter weather then why not get the best and he much cheaper in prices than anyone.
    if you sus out the prodgy x it will give you all the ratings you probably understand them much better than i can.:o
    sorry i can't give you all the tech stuff but as i said i'm far from being an expert.

Advertisement