Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The smell of dog and their diet

• 03-10-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I had honestly forgotten how bad wet dog smells until I took my friends dog to the vet, they borrowed my slip lead which is now in the washing machine, she is on supermarket dog food and it really tells, the dog stinks to high heaven. Another friend bathes their dog atleast once a month because he too smells, I honestly can't remember the last time I bathed my fella, it is well over a year ago at least and his coat is shiny, his whites are so white, there is no yucky oily residue left on your hands when you rub him and unless he is wet there is no pong off him and even then in comparison to my friends dog you could nearly say it was non existent.

It's amazing what a good diet can do, I don't know how anyone could have their dog smelling like that in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Unless he's never out of the house I don't believe his whites are whiter than white. I only bathed mine Monday, went for a walk Tuesday in the rain and their white paws are no longer whiter than white despite a rub down when they got back. Regards the smell, dogs get smelly, their diet is not going to keep away the smell of whatever they decide to roll in when you're not watching them like a hawk.

Of course dogs are going to roll in things etc. my boy doesn't seem to have penchant for this, he whites really are white despite running in fields and going for walks the the rain, I give him a quick rub down when we get back, he also likes to clean himself in the manner of a cat so this will have a lot to do with it. Their diet I can assure has a lot to do with it, my lad goes for a lot more walks and runs in the field than my friends dog but yet theirs stinks to high heaven. Now I'm not saying my boy smells of roses but he actually doesn't really smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

My collie rolls on wet grass to clean herself..never in any thing bad and she washes and grooms her feet when we come in

and the worst stink ever from my dogs is after feeding raw turkey...I rarely feed dog food and even then never noticed any smell but the day after raw turkey you need a gas mask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I sometimes mind my friends dog, he's fed supermarket dog food and the smell off him is really bad. He's only about 2 and is an indoor dog but stinks and has a really greasy coat. Food definatly makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I had honestly forgotten how bad wet dog smells until I took my friends dog to the vet, they borrowed my slip lead which is now in the washing machine, she is on supermarket dog food and it really tells, the dog stinks to high heaven. Another friend bathes their dog atleast once a month because he too smells, I honestly can't remember the last time I bathed my fella, it is well over a year ago at least and his coat is shiny, his whites are so white, there is no yucky oily residue left on your hands when you rub him and unless he is wet there is no pong off him and even then in comparison to my friends dog you could nearly say it was non existent.

It's amazing what a good diet can do, I don't know how anyone could have their dog smelling like that in the house.

What proof is there that the smell is due to being fed supermarket food?
    I have 5 dogs that are fed on this food and none of them smell. The only time I have to bathe them is if they decide to roll in something untoward.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I think some are just more smelly than others. My collie was fed on supermarket food up to a year ago and he has never smelt and keeps himself beautifully clean. My friend's boxer on the other hand smells rotten most of the time, both ends!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

My dog is fed on supermarket food and you wouldn't notice he's around. Coat is shiny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Makes sense as some people have more BO than others and smellier feet:eek:;)

Individuals..

Advertisement