Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad dip or MA??

• 03-10-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

I started an MA course last year in an area that's really difficult to get work in. Due to working really hard for the first two semesters, getting a ton of work experience, and making all my projects really industry-relevant, I was offered a full time job and started it this summer.

My problem now is I still haven't finished (actually haven't started!!) my final project/thesis. I have an extension, but even with that I cannot see myself doing it while working full time. I feel like I put so much work into my other 4 projects, and they've all been a huge help to me in getting work, but this would just be a rushed mess that I definitely wouldn't be proud of. (Its a practical course so would involve a huge amount of practical work and research, which I just don't have time, energy or enthusiasm for!)

Should I stop now and just take the postgrad diploma? I don't think it's an industry where qualifications matter - just experience, and I'm grateful to the course for giving me that. When I tell people (mostly academic friends and my parents) that I'm thinking of not working towards the full MA they tell me I'm being ridiculous and that I'll regret it, and that it'll be a waste of money.

I'm so confused! So many others from the course have got the full MA and are still jobless, so I know I'm in a good position, I just don't want to regret it later or feel like a failure! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd say it sounds like you've achieved what you needed out of the course, if you're in a permanent full time job then I'd take the diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Stevie Wonders Bifocals

I was in the same situation as you this summer and I have to agree, take the diploma and concentrate on the new job.

That's what I did and I don't regret it at all. Been working the last few weeks and it's so sweet not having to worry about doing a dissertation in my spare time!

Congrats on your job btw!

Advertisement