Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Challenge, Limerick Parent and Baby Centre, Sat 5th

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If someone urinated, or spat right beside me, I'd move away. If someone was eating with their mouth open, I'd do my best to move.
    If I'm having my lunch, I wouldn't be too impressed with someone breast feeding right beside me at the next table. Sorry.
    Add to the mix that I don't like screaming babies anyways, and I'm never going to be comfy with it.

Saying that, I've been assured that everything changes when those screaming babies are your own. So I'm open to change. :)

I was a screaming baby once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

And that's completely your issue! Breastfeeding is a child eating with their mouth closed. So doesn't fit into your list at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

In that case I look forward to the day when you post here encouraging breastfeeding or promoting the breastfeeding challenge when you have little ones of your own Seachto7!

It's the boob on display. Even when a towel is laid over the boob, I think it's the bodily function thing that makes me uneasy.
    I don't consider it dirty or anything like that, I just don't like to be in close proximity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

But breastfeeding is simply that - a baby feeding in the most natural of fashions - i.e. from the breast. It's not in the same category at all as urinating.

This is why us breastfeeding families need the breastfeeding challenge, we need to help support families to feed in public - the more that is done the more people will get used to it.

I breastfed my baby in Spain over the summer and I got nothing but approving glances and smiles, in fact people walked over and admired my baby while I was feeding him. They are normalised to it completely.

I really respect how you have changed your tune over the course of the dicussion btw seachto7. :) I wonder if my husband/family may have been a bit like you prior to our breastfeeding journey? (and even myself if I'm honest about it!)

Once you think of a breast in the same category as lets say an elbow - elbows make your arm bend - breasts feed babies, there is no issue. Its unfortunate that breasts have been sexiualised beyond reason in our culture.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's parts of the body I don't expect to see that makes me uneasy. As I said, a group of people breastfeeding would make me feel uneasy, not disgusted, but I would prefer not to look. I've been in the company of people breastfeeding before, and while I stayed, I found it odd. I suppose I just assumed they would go somewhere a bit private.
    I also get freaked out at nappy changing!
    In no way do I think a bare breast suggests arousal. On the continent you see a lot more skin on display on tv and billboards etc. Maybe I'm just a prude.
    I guess if I ever have my own kids, I'll be pro-boob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Nothing is wrong with breastfeeding, you are in the place to eat, why shouldn't the baby?

phill106 wrote: »
    Nothing is wrong with breastfeeding, you are in the place to eat, why shouldn't the baby?

???

Advertisement