Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously thinking about leaving school

• 03-10-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭

I am 16 I hate school, I am not motivated to do anything in it, It seems to much, I did TY and I loved doing practical work experience I am just wondering what options could I have if I did leave could I do PLC's or apprenticeships or anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Walshey96

OriginV wrote: »
    I am 16 I hate school, I am not motivated to do anything in it, It seems to much, I did TY and I loved doing practical work experience I am just wondering what options could I have if I did leave could I do PLC's or apprenticeships or anything else?

You could try an apprenticeship through fas but they're like gold dust. I'm 16 and I left school a few months back and I'm doing a course through fas doing metalwork and woodwork. You should go down to fas anyway and see do any of the courses they have on offer interest you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭dobman88

Make sure you have a course before you leave school. And make sure it is in an area that has work after you complete it. Otherwise you will have no job with no LC and looking at the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Stick with it if you can. I had the same feelings about school during TY but I stuck it out. In hindsight I am happy I did. I ended up going to college and progressing in life. Overall I'm happy with my lot.

If you do 'pack it in', do something that you would enjoy doing - no point doing something just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Thinking of moving to a school that does LCA and just do that instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭dobman88

My brother and sister both did LCA, my bro is doing a fas course at the mo while trying to get into the Army. My sis is doing a childcare course in Mallow college. Loads of options with LCA and you are far better off doing LCA than dropping out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You've missed quite a bit if you're planning on doing this.
    LCA is not like the standard Leaving - you can't play catch up, though you can repeat one session. You have to be consistent throughout the two years. My classes have two key assignments done already in most subjects.

spurious wrote: »
    You've missed quite a bit if you're planning on doing this.
    LCA is not like the standard Leaving - you can't play catch up, though you can repeat one session. You have to be consistent throughout the two years. My classes have two key assignments done already in most subjects.
    Would missing the first four weeks make much of a difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you've missed key assignments then you cannot get the credits for those modules, even if you get 3 out of the 4 assignments for each module done, you cannot get the credits. This could involve 8 modules, so you could be down almost all the credits for the first session.

You can still pass, but you would make a distinction grade almost impossible.
    A pass mark in the LCA is 60%, not 40% as it is in the standard LC.

Some people think the LCA is easy - they have no idea.
    The 90% attendance catches people too. Doesn't matter if you have all the key assignments done to a fantastic standard, if you don't have 90% attendance you will not get the credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhon boy

bro i left school at 15 lol and am now back at 18 to do my leaving cert. stick it out . you will neaver get a able to good job .if ur being bullyed move school:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

jhon boy wrote: »
    bro i left school at 15 lol and am now back at 18 to do my leaving cert. stick it out . you will neaver get a able to good job .if ur being bullyed move school:D:D

Why wouldn't you be able to get a good job.
    When it comes to careers success in school is not the most important factor! If you 'know your stuff' in the area your working in, show enthusiasm and motivation, you can get far!

Once you secured an entry level job, success in school is not the most important thing on earth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You've less than 2 years left out of a 14 year school term. Stick it out. You're still very young, it will give you some safety to think what you want to do. I hated school, everything but the social aspect and woodwork and art. Ended up doing carpentry and realised it wasn't for me. I've never used my leaving cert to get me anywhere but I'm glad I did it. Most people still don't know what they want to do at 18 and end up doing courses they may be encouraged into or choose simply because they have the points. Enjoy your youth while you can, you have it easy now and probably will for the next few years. You can busy yourself with other things in the mean time, set up a business or do other projects on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Why wouldn't you be able to get a good job.
    When it comes to careers success in school is not the most important factor! If you 'know your stuff' in the area your working in, show enthusiasm and motivation, you can get far!

Define "good" job? Education level is directly tied to earning power. Its just life I'm afraid.

Sure if you "know your stuff" you can get a great jobs sweeping streets or digging holes in the ground and you may lead a happy life. Once you have a spouse and child on the way you wont care anyway.

Money isn't everything right? With little education you wont aspire to much so you might be happy with less.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Define "good" job? Education level is directly tied to earning power. Its just life I'm afraid.

Sure if you "know your stuff" you can get a great jobs sweeping streets or digging holes in the ground and you may lead a happy life. Once you have a spouse and child on the way you wont care anyway.

Money isn't everything right? With little education you wont aspire to much so you might be happy with less.
    Good job= a job that pays bills, holidays, house, etc.

I didn't say you don't need an education ;), but the LC doesn't measure how successfull you are going to be in your future life. LC doesn't measure how good you are going to be in your job. It takes continous effort after the LC to be successful in the career you chose.
    If you fulfill the minimum LC requirement to get into the career you want, that's enough. You don't need to know Maslow's hierachy of needs or poems once you sat the LC, but you need the skills you gained during your years in school... both practical and theoretical (like summarising,memorising, etc.)

If you want to have a career in plumbing, carpentry or any job in skilled crafts, what you need to be good in is wood/metal work/what ever skills you need to have in that craft and have the knowledge that is relevant to your area. If you do well, you can earn more than someone with a way better LC and a 'fance degree', because you are good at what you are doing and are motivated to provide your service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I personally wouldn't recommend leaving school with out an LC or LCA, there will be a lot of doors closed to you without anything, If you prefer more practical work then perhaps the LCA is more suited to you, but please don't leave school without anything.

Yes people do and have done very well without the LC but IMHO you're still better off having one than not having one, it just gives you more options.

Stick with it. Good jobs are impossible to get even with Degrees, so you've no hope without your Leaving Cert. FAS courses are just time fillers and don't offer any real chances. I know you hate it, but if you can just get your head around the fact that 2 years are not long really.

This can be closed/locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This can be closed/locked.

Why? Did you not get any answers you liked? What have you decided to do?

Advertisement