Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna do something cool?

• 04-10-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in contributing to a game of some sort? I'm a games dev grad but I'm working outside of the games industry so I'd like to be creative in my down time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hi there,

If you aren't having much luck getting a team together, might be an idea to get something started yourself, and then try to recruit. I suspect it's a lot easier to get others on board if you have even a simple prototype. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

I'd be up for something like this. I have an audio background. Just finished a Masters in Music Tech and did a prototype for generative music and procedural audio in a text-based game I created in Python.

Looking to get into the industry as an audio programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Fairly busy with work at the minute so I've nothing to show, I'm just trying to gauge the skills that are interested. I'm completely open to whatever technology/genre anyone wants to use for their CV/Portfolio btw. Whatever helps get someone work I'm down with using.

That being said I'd love to make a web based MOBA clone like Dota 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Fairly busy with work at the minute so I've nothing to show, I'm just trying to gauge the skills that are interested. I'm completely open to whatever technology/genre anyone wants to use for their CV/Portfolio btw. Whatever helps get someone work I'm down with using.

That being said I'd love to make a web based MOBA clone like Dota 2.

Could I suggest doing anything else :) Never mind the complexity of the whole project in general (which is too high), The balancing that goes into a game like Dota is crazy!

I'd also recommend starting small. Even a relatively simple game can run into hundreds, if not thousands of hours.

Think about ways to cut down the assets you'll need as well. Passable music and SFX are relatively easy to come by, but someone's going to have to draw or model everything in your game.

Even if you aim for a big project first time, and it's too much to finish, you'll learn a lot. Obviously it would be better to have a small complete project, than a large, partially finished one, but all things considered, the time won't be badly spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrnobodyfan87

I'm interested (programmer)

I'm interested (programmer)

Cool beans, I'll get in touch at the weekend for a bit of scheming :D

Jaysus sure tis only a bit of dota like :rolleyes: Can't be that hard to make...
    It was my suggestion though, if we can get a small team we can trash out what to make.

I wouldnt mind making a tower defence game either.

Click some cookies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭numb3r

Hey,
    I know this is more post-production but I'd be up for scoring any cinematics or ambiance needed (battle scenes, love scenes, drama etc. etc.). I'd even be up for contributing to sound effects (I'm not a foley artist though :P)
    Let me know what you're feeling.

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Cool beans, I'll get in touch at the weekend for a bit of scheming :D

Jaysus sure tis only a bit of dota like :rolleyes: Can't be that hard to make...
    It was my suggestion though, if we can get a small team we can trash out what to make.

I wouldnt mind making a tower defence game either.

Click some cookies!!

Cool, I don't mind what we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Im an animator, would be interested in getting into some game making project in my spare time. check out my blog to see some work.

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Im an animator, would be interested in getting into some game making project in my spare time. check out my blog to see some work.

Your work is awesome! Loved this: http://vimeo.com/47896017

Your work is awesome! Loved this: http://vimeo.com/47896017

:) thanks ive been meaning to upload a new reel, most of that stuff im not happy with to be honest >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Ah but you will never be! that is the life of an artist :D
    Long as you enjoy it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I might be interested as a programmer or 'artist'.. What sort of time commitment are you thinking of?

Personally would love to do a stealth game of some sort.

So what type of game are people thinking about, 2d 3d or a mix of both ?
    Wouldnt mind giving a platformer a go or an isometric rpg <3, i have no idea what software you would, I was trying to find some on the internet but didnt have much luck.

I was thinking about a 3d rpg battle area type game earlier. That might be too complicated though.

I don't mind taking on a big challenge but I also don't mind if other people want to keep it more straightforward (which would be more likely to finish!)

Well at the moment im planning on just making some simple scene with a 3rd person view style where i can just run around jumping, maybe some simple hack and slashy type of thing. Trying to get to grips with unity 3d, can anyone recommend me some books for beginners ?

Well at the moment im planning on just making some simple scene with a 3rd person view style where i can just run around jumping, maybe some simple hack and slashy type of thing. Trying to get to grips with unity 3d, can anyone recommend me some books for beginners ?
    Haven't really gone out looking for books myself.
    I am always broke :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfTAdamson

This guy is awesome as a teacher. Does basics and also advanced programming in several areas.Focusses on Unity as an engine for a lot of his stuff too.
    I am amazed he has so little views for the information he gives!

i hate code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Yeah if you PM me your email address I have a load of pdf's of game design/ dev books!

Goes for anyone else I suppose too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Mebbel

Hi All,

Although I am probably in the wrong place here, I too have an interest in game development and have been keen to take on a project. Although inexperienced, I have dabbled in basic animation (animation cycles through 3dsmax) and importing them into the Unreal Engine. I have played around with node based editors, and some very basic scripting. I've used programs like Maya, Blender, Modo, 3ds Max, Zbrush and Engines like Unreal, Cry and Unity. Again, all very basic.

I spend most of my days (the free time that I have) browsing tutorials and going through magazines (3d artist) to gain inspiration and resource to put stuff together. Due to the fact that I have had no education in the field, having the lack of direction in terms of these kinds of projects can be daunting and demotivating.

I would like to display my interest towards providing a contribution if anyone is looking for a beginner (but enthusiastic one at that).

Either way, I wish all those pursuing the project the best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Going to start working on a game myself at the moment. I have a couple of years of a games dev course done but I'm gonna commit full time to learning unity 3d.

I have Unity pro and a crap load of assets. Making a good looking game environment is easy. I love this tool and engine. The community is fantastic as well.

However my coding and scripting knowledge is limited but I have some good ideas, at least imo, for games. It's just a case of choosing a project and starting work on it.

Mobile is probably the place to start but i don't think there is any money in it. I'd be looking for a multi platform pc and console game release. With steam greenlight, kickstarter and open indie game support on next gen consoles getting a decent game published shouldn't be a problem.

Im rather pleased with myself that i now have a block running and jumping around on rectangles woo aww !

Im rather pleased with myself that i now have a block running and jumping around on rectangles woo aww !
    Nice one :)
    If you are using Unity and/or C# I may be able to help out with some stuff regarding troubleshooting issues.
    Got so much on my plate right now with development, but happy to help others too.
    Can probably help with javascript(unity specific by the way, not real java afaik)maybe too since reading one language is kind of similar to the other.
    But mostly trouble shooting as I am doing so much myself.

Your animations look great by the way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I love your work John. Might be contacting you in the future to ask for some help/work done on my own projects.

Your animation is brilliant.

Hey guys, sorry for the absence, kind of busy with work at the moment.

I'm gonna lay my cards on the table here and say that whatever I'm gonna be involved in is probably going to be webGl of some sort. With IE11 supporting webgl, along with chrome and firefox, I can see webgl getting bigger so it makes sense to sharpen the auld teeth. It wont make a difference to any animators that are getting on board but it will to all the Unity heads among you.

Ima gonna stick something on github and link it here. Probably gonna get a small server to host it all so if you have any suggestions drop it.
    Definately gonna use a scrum tool of some sort like Jira. The thing with side projects is tracking progress and despite it being a side project I'd like to have something of portfolio standard at the other end.

So to summarize:

3D game/ probably a moba clone
    WebGl/Three.js
    Physics Engine/Physijs
    Dedicated server/Node.js

I've a bit of a head start using the above, except Physijs. Outside of the thread there is another developer in work on board for the long run.
    In saying the above it wouldn't take much for me to be persuaded to C++, Havok and Ogre3d or another rendering engine so it's all just ideas at this stage.

Edit: I'd prefer to start coding from January btw, The 4th quarter is the busiest in work. So that leaves a few months to trash out genre, architecture and who's involved

So i skinned a rigged a model today, just banged out some animation on it I made it a year or two ago, full intentions of trying to make a small platformer demo with it, just kind of running around and climbing, I was just getting to grips with unity a small bit. But have to meet some one tomorrow about a job so mite be on the back burner for me temporarily.

So i skinned a rigged a model today, just banged out some animation on it I made it a year or two ago, full intentions of trying to make a small platformer demo with it, just kind of running around and climbing, I was just getting to grips with unity a small bit. But have to meet some one tomorrow about a job so mite be on the back burner for me temporarily.

Nice work!

Well mine hit a brick wall, after re rigging my model doing a bit of animation unity's is not liking my bone structure :( FAIL

back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement

Well mine hit a brick wall, after re rigging my model doing a bit of animation unity's is not liking my bone structure :( FAIL

back to the drawing board.

Hmm... looks pretty good to me. What's the problem with it?

Advertisement