Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X and Y, cart or download?

• 04-10-2013 6:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, what are people planning to get, cart or download for X and Y?

Personally I'm getting cart. Nintendo don't discount, you don't get any freebies, system transfer has a maximum limit and if you lose the console with the game, you've no way to get it back. All the while Nintendo get to cut out the middleman and prevent resales.

Nintendo will probably charge €44.99 on eShop, while I'm in China, I can get a French copy DHLed to me for €52 including a freebie Pokéball cart holder. For me the wait is the better deal, even if it kills me.

How are you buying Gen VI? 49 votes

Cart
    0% 0 votes
    Download
    79% 39 votes
    Not buying it.
    20% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Download - Got a freebie (Pokédex 3D Pro, which is a lot less useless than I expected, loving the quizzes!) courtesy of Game.Co.Uk

At the risk of raining on a parade, I've lost a 3DS with - ironically - a Pokémon White cart in the back and a bunch of downloads on it. The downloads were the only thing I *did* get back.

And I'll probably get my key on Friday Night :)
    (I have no factual basis for that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Both! I got the pokemon centre 3ds with y pre-installed and then going to get X in cart form. Much prefer physical games to digital downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Banjo wrote: »
    At the risk of raining on a parade, I've lost a 3DS with - ironically - a Pokémon White cart in the back and a bunch of downloads on it. The downloads were the only thing I *did* get back.

I presume you asked nicely and Nintendo CC helped you out?

The fact is, that Sony and Microsoft both do this as policy, not at their discretion. The downloads have huge benefits for Nintendo, but they pass very few of those on to the customer, even those we've come to expect (i.e. just log in with username and password and you can recover it).
    Much prefer physical games to digital downloads.
    With you on that. Especially when there's so little added benefits and no discounts. If it were cheaper or guaranteed to be recoverable without the console, I'd go for download. But until that day...

I presume you asked nicely and Nintendo CC helped you out?

The fact is, that Sony and Microsoft both do this as policy, not at their discretion. The downloads have huge benefits for Nintendo, but they pass very few of those on to the customer, even those we've come to expect (i.e. just log in with username and password and you can recover it).

I said I got them back. I didn't say it was quick, I didn't say it was easy :)

They do have a policy of sorts, but it is by no means a "log out / log in" and I really wouldn't fancy having to do it again. However, they did recognise that their process is ridiculous, which didn't help but eased the pain a little. I keep hearing that there's a unified account system on the way that was supposed to be tied to Miiverse but with no Miiverse 3DS launch on the immediate horizon I guess that's still a ways off.

I prefer the cart in most cases but I know I'm not likely to trade the game in (I still have my Blue cart somewhere, and hopefully the battery is keeping Deano the Blastoise alive...) and I like the fact that I don't have to go fishing for the cart if I get 5 minutes spare to go pick berries, bump into someone who fancies a trade or stumble across a Nintendo event. The only issue with the download for me is that I won't be able to manipulate the save game 'cause it will likely be keyed to the handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

I prefer the cart in most cases but I know I'm not likely to trade the game in

Oh neither am I! I'm not crazy! :p But I like knowing that I have that option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Cart only for me. Nothing like having the physical cart in your hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

I'll always buy carts, in the same way that I'll never buy an eBook.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I'm the same really. I know I probably should get an e-book reader at some point, but I just prefer having the physical object. So yeah, cart for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Was gonna pick it up on the eShop as I was hoping for a price tag of €40 there but prices were announced, and nope €45 :eek:
    I'm gonna pass now.

That €5 made a world of difference in my choice :P €45 each digitally, and each one being 1.7GB = a lot of nope.
    They should have sorted some option to get both on the eShop digitally for a slight discount, and figure out a way to only download the game assets once. There's a LOT of overlap in data between the two games so it'd just be wasted space on my SD card.

Wanted to keep the game on my 3DS all the time, but guess i'm just gonna finally swap out Mario Kart for that honour :P

When will Nintendo ever learn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Physical is king :3. Same price, less risk. more chance of a discount, no reason to buy digitally at all like unless your really into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

I'll buy digital if it means I can get it midnight Friday. Anyone know if that's going to be possible? Or will it not be up until midnight in America?

Could be midnight in Germany based on previous releases. Could be midnight in Tokyo! If you can dream it, Nintendo can make it happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Download - Got a freebie (Pokédex 3D Pro, which is a lot less useless than I expected, loving the quizzes!) courtesy of Game.Co.Uk

And I'll probably get my key on Friday Night
    (I have no factual basis for that)

Out of interest if I bought that offer would the code work on my Irish 3DS XL?

Meesared wrote: »
    Out of interest if I bought that offer would the code work on my Irish 3DS XL?

Good question! I'll have an answer at midnight on Friday (in Tokyo/Berlin /new york - delete as appropriate)

Nintendo support said it would be fine, but you may have to change your region to UK to activate

I'll buy digital if it means I can get it midnight Friday. Anyone know if that's going to be possible? Or will it not be up until midnight in America?

It'll be 11PM our time because Nintendo's based in Germany :D

It'll be 11PM our time because Nintendo's based in Germany :D

If this is true..
    n5U1cJO.jpg

it was true for eu releases, and getting the jump on Animal Crossing was cool, but this is a world wide release... anything could happen!

My money is on a midnight firework display in Sidney, with a live broadcastfrom N force one as it chases the dawn around the earth from Japan to Hawaii (the long way), possibly distributing lvl 50 Barrelerion via wifi as the go. But i've been wrong before!

Listed as €50 on the gamestop site :eek::eek::eek: (and theres often a price difference between that/in store :eek: )

45 on the xtravision site :p

okay 45 doesn't look THAT bad on the eshop compared to the gamestop price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I don't want to buy it from Gamestop cos of that :/
    They are awful for profiteering on popular games, for example GTA 5 is €65

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Probably digital because I'm lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€50 retail in Gamestop. FFS...

On sale now for those who want to pay a premium for day-early access.

It's also available in Smyths, Tesco and HMV for €44.99.

Gamestop who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ordered it from game.co.uk for me and my girlfriend and should be getting the pokeball card case with them too. Probably have them on monday. I still need to finish soul silver and then play emerald, diamond, white and white 2 first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Digital for me although I do think the servers will buckle under the weight and this could be a cluster****. Nintendo don't have a a decent online infrastructure and have never had a launch of this magnatude in their online store.

Downloaders, we are Oscar mike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Downloaders, we are Oscar mike...

I don't know what that means, but I'm downloading now :D
    About 33% of the way through, so i'll probably have it for midnight. SOru HAPPYru :pac:

46 Mins - Done. Now to catch some, if not all of those little buggers!

Well done, Nintendo servers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I bought it on the eShop. However, I won £40 in vouchers from the Nintendo Area at Eurogamer so it was essentially free :)

Herself bought the physical cart.

Had some credit on my 3DS so went digital in the end :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement