Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microbrew beer in Tullamore pubs?

Options
  • 04-10-2013 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I'll be in Tullamore over the Christmas period, anyone know if there's any pubs where I can get microbrew stuff, not necessarily on tap, bottles'd be fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Currently.... No ...bit of a wasteland where decent beer is concerned. :( I have been onto the lads in Bo Bristle in banagher to try and get some into tullamore pubs , but still waiting.
    http://www.bobristle.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Tullamore Dew visitors centre do O'Hara ale ans stout,. Last Christmas they had Carrick on tap too, not sure this year, Carrick is made by the same crew tha. Do Bo Bristle. Nit exactly a pub though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Guill wrote: »
    Tullamore Dew visitors centre do O'Hara ale ans stout,. Last Christmas they had Carrick on tap too, not sure this year, Carrick is made by the same crew tha. Do Bo Bristle. Nit exactly a pub though

No, not exactly a pub, and I think it closes at six o'clock. It was also closed over the Christmas period last year, if I remember correctly. Still, if it hasn't closed by the time I get home, I might pop in for a few mid-afternoon drinks some day.

Update: Just had a look at their website "Closed for Christmas between Dec 24th - Jan 1st"

Going in on the 23rd, woo-hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hugh Lynchs has Hoegaarden on tap and they sell O'Hara's bottles (Stout, Pale Ale,Irish red), http://hughlynchs.com, seemingly the Copper Pot Still are "Looking into" getting some craft beer in, but not as yet, when/if they do I'll let you know

I was chatting the lads in "The Copper Pot Still" on high st., so seemingly they are just waiting on taps from bobistle, so it should be in the next couple of weeks, definitely by Christmas I should imagine

• Advertisement

I was chatting the lads in "The Copper Pot Still" on high st., so seemingly they are just waiting on taps from bobistle, so it should be in the next couple of weeks, definitely by Christmas I should imagine

Any ideas which beers will be on tap? The IPA apparently isn't great, but the American Brown Ale is excellent (according to Ratebeer).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Emmet Lynch

Hugh Lynch's will have Donegal Blond in stock in the next 2 weeks and are also introducing a number of other craft beers. www.hughlynchs.com as well as Hoegaarden on tap and O'Hara's bottles

Any ideas which beers will be on tap? The IPA apparently isn't great, but the American Brown Ale is excellent (according to Ratebeer).

I have only ever had the Amber Ale in bottles ..... but it was really nice...i was in Hugh Lynch's twice recently and both times the Hoegaarden tap was dry.... :(

Ah balls, I just spotted that the American Brown was a special for the Irish Craft Beer & Cider Festival 2013. :(

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bo-bristle-american-brown-ale/228070/

Hugh Lynch's will have Donegal Blond in stock in the next 2 weeks and are also introducing a number of other craft beers. www.hughlynchs.com as well as Hoegaarden on tap and O'Hara's bottles

Nice one, have to say I love the O'Hara's Leann Folieann (spelling?). Really nice stuff.

The Bo amber ale is lovely, inly had it in bottles too.

• Advertisement

laros wrote: »
    I have only ever had the Amber Ale in bottles ..... but it was really nice...i was in Hugh Lynch's twice recently and both times the Hoegaarden tap was dry.... :(
    I was in there last Sunday and they had it as I had 1 or 2 as the saying goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Emmet Lynch

I can confirm it is back in stock now.
    The Brand changed suppliers in Ireland last month but a regular supply has been re-established now.

Hugh Lynch's Craft Beer Tap is being installed next week and will be pouring by the end of the month.

Lovely stuff Emmet! What'll be on the craft beer tap?

Update, still no sign of taps in either pub

Looks like I'll just have to get some bottles of my choosing from Dunnes or Tesco, have a few drinks with the family in front of a nice fireplace. No point making the effort to head out to the pub if there's no decent beer on.

A word of advice to any publicans reading this, if you have craft beer in bottles available, make it known to the public. I'm sure the brewer can give you some promotional stuff to stick up. If people don't know it's there, they won't buy it. Customers can't generally see too well what's in the fridges.

Bo Bristle Amber Ale is now available in "The Wolftrap" and acoording to Bo Bristle they are in talks with other pubs in Tullamore at the moment, fair play to The Wolftrap for been the first pub in Tullamore serving Irish craft beer on tap. I shall sample some at the weekend and report back

AFAIK ... The Wolftrap only has bo bristle in bottles.... :( I spoke to them on facebook today about it. its also available in Baggots Centra in Clara

AFAIK ... The Wolftrap only has bo bristle in bottles.... :( I spoke to them on facebook today about it. its also available in Baggots Centra in Clara

The problem with bottles is that it's very easy forget to stock up and end up running out. If there's a tap there's more pressure on the pub to keep the beer in stock.

Also with bottles there's a fair chance the barman, especially the extra guy(s) they have in for busy periods, won't even know they have it. "Bo Whistle, nah we don't have that. Sorry, next please". On a busy Saturday night, he's not going to waste two minutes looking for it.

Still, bottles are a start, but they really need to advertise. As has been said elsewhere, the contents of the fridges are really only visible to bar staff, not to the customers, so if the Bo is just sitting in the fridge, it won't sell well. Well, except maybe to those weirdos on the internet who get all hot and sweaty over beer!

@benny or Laros

If ye're in the Wolftrap, let us know what price it's selling at. I hope to Jaysus it sells at roughly the price of a pint, and not the price of a longneck + €2 cos there more beer in it.

Hugh Lynchs are now pouring "8 Degrees Sunburnt Irish Red" and "Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA"

• Advertisement

Hugh Lynchs are now pouring "8 Degrees Sunburnt Irish Red" and "Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA"

On Tap....???

yep on tap,also they have porterhouse selection in bottles, I'll be in tomorrow and will report back, https://www.facebook.com/Hughlynchs

IPA? On tap? I dTulach Mhor?

What a time to be alive!

Had a pint of the Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA tonight, first time I has a black IPA.
    I have to say it was lovely nothing like an IPA, seemingly its should be classified as a Cascadian Dark Ale, anyway it was gorgeous and at 4.40 a pint a good price for a craft beer on tap.

https://www.facebook.com/events/682475628454152/

Just a heads up Bo Bristle will be having a "Meet the Brewer" event in Hugh Lynch's pub in Tullamore on Fri 16th May

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

Can you buy bottles of the Banagher beer in any shop/off-license in Tullamore?

The off licence opposite the court hotel ( carry out .. ? ) has both the Amber Ale and the Pale Ale.... :)

Might be worth a look:

8dXLjxH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

The off licence opposite the court hotel ( carry out .. ? ) has both the Amber Ale and the Pale Ale.... :)

Thanks for this. Got a few bottles of the pale ale. Impressed

• Advertisement

Thanks for this

Your welcome... Baggots centra in clara also stock it if your out that way. ;)

Advertisement