Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currys, pc world, Harvey Norman ?

• 04-10-2013 7:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Went to these three shops last night looking to buy a laptop and found this which I really liked until I realised for 699 euro Microsoft office wasn't included and would bring the price up to 850 euro.

http://currys.buy4now.com/PRODUCT/HP-ENVY-m61310sa-156-Laptop/319433/7.36

Is this a good laptop and is it worth the money?? it's 699 in currys.
    Will be using it for photos, backing up iPhone, Word, watching tv/DVDs, basic stuff the only thing is i cannot stand slow computers so was thinking this would be good.
    Any opinions or suggestions for others, or any idea where else apart from the three shops above that I can buy one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 FlawlessWeb

Speed should not be a problem (quad core processor, 8gb ram etc) with that laptop so I wouldn't be worried about watching DVD's etc.

The only major issues that stand out to me is that Windows 8 is installed and the laptop does not have a touch screen; You will have no trouble using the laptop with the keyboard and trackpad and I know people who enjoy using it in that setup; My personal opinion is that Windows 8 is designed with touch screens in mind and you will never be able to get the best out of the operating system without one.

As I said above, specs look good and if you have no interest in a touch screen, then its probably a good bet for the money. All laptops these days will come pre-installed with Windows 8 but it would be fairly easy to 'downgrade' to Windows 7 on it if you wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

It is absolute not worth the money, that AMD A-10 APU is not even a match for an Intel Core i3 in terms of processing power. The on-chip graphics compares to a Nvidia GT 630M. A laptop with this performance isn't worth more than €500.

J8gKIML.jpg

KlVWKnH.jpg

For little more (£700) you'll get this MSI laptop with the latest Intel quad Core i7 and a Nvidia GT 740M.

H54Y0mi.jpg

Light years ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for the replies. Really starting to think touch screen is the way to go. Any good recommendations for a good touchscreen less than 700 euro?! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Blingy wrote: »
    Any good recommendations for a good touchscreen less than 700 euro?

Sure about the touchscreen? With such a low budget, you'll only get crap resolution touchscreens (1366x768)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Which is better? Would really prefer 1TB rather than the 500 being offered with the i7 Acer. I wouldn't have a clue how to upgrade it myself!

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb-02pc/80011394/acer-aspire-e1-572-54206g75dnkk/details.aspx

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.037_1478219.html

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement