Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to start house refurb - what preparation for alarm?

Options
  • 04-10-2013 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

As the title says I'm about to start full refurbishment on a house including rewiring. I haven't decided on what alarm system to go for, but in the interim what preparation should I be looking to have done during this phase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Good luck with the refurb,we got our house done last year and a new extenstion .One bit of advice I would offer is getting who ever is going to be stalling your system to have a look over your plans and suggesting where to put wires and it's best to have it wired for further updates and maybe even CCTV wiring.
    Our contractor failed to wire our house proper for our new system and it made things hard for the likes of CCTV and the new securtiy alarm and had to go for a wireless one in the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Single cable to every window/door. Cat5 from alarm to network point. PIR'S in every common area. spare cables to attic. Extra keypads. Cable Cable for telephone, allow a cable for both upc and eircom.

Wire for cctv as well. Cat5 and rg59 coax to each point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That pretty much covers it.
    I would be future proofing a but further & going with cat6 cable.
    Network speeds are increasing all the time & its good to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Single cable to every window/door.....

...Wire for cctv as well. Cat5 and rg59 coax to each point.

Hi,

I'll be building a house soon (hopefully) and want to know how to prepare the house for an alarm system but install it later.

Sorry for noob questions but when you say single cable do you mean just a single (one) wire? I thought you would need a 2 or 3 core cable.

What type/size of cable do you require for PIRs?
    And the CAT 5 for CCTV can this supply power to or do you need a separate cable for this? I guess the answer will depend on the camera!!!

Thanks,

WM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

water-man wrote: »

Sorry for noob questions but when you say single cable do you mean just a single (one) wire? I thought you would need a 2 or 3 core cable.

A single cable so you can split up the zones much better.
    A single cable can be 4,6, or 8 cores.
    What type/size of cable do you require for PIRs?
    4 core will do, but I would use 6 or 8 core all the time.
    And the CAT 5 for CCTV can this supply power to or do you need a separate cable for this? I guess the answer will depend on the camera!!!

On standard analogue cameras you can use a pair for power & a pair for video.
    For IP cameras you can use a normal cat5 with RG45 plugs. But you will need a POE switch to connect them through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement