Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning from the harbour fiasco - Today's referendum ...

Options
  • 04-10-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

As we in Greystones have all learned the hard way how small-minded politicians decisions, actions and lack of moral backbone can have an immediate impact on our lives, I would urge everyone NOT to ignore today's referendum.

Think of the Harbour fiasco - but on a national scale :eek:

Did you know that a YES vote in today's Seanad referendum will ... delete seven entire Articles, and to amend, in one way or another, all but 12 of the existing 51 Articles of our Constitution ....... strip the President of the power to refer Bills to referendum of the people by repealing Article 27;
    .... Abolish the “double lock” inserted in Article 29 at the time of the Lisbon Treaty to prevent Ireland’s government surrendering without referendum its EU vetoes, including our tax veto, or taking major steps towards EU integration without consulting the people;

I am appalled that our Government - and the other political parties - are trying to hide these widespread changes under the guise of saving a €20m a year - which won't even happen for another 3-4 years anyway.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thank you for the above post, I would also urge a no vote in relation to Seanad abolition for the above reasons, amongst others.

This government now has an exceptional track record in trying to remove fundamental democratic principles from our laws. The proposed Oireachtas enquiries was rejected but if it hadn't been, the abolition of the Seanad would mean that the Dáil (and really that just means the Cabinet) would be in a position to put people on trial at its whim. There are other examples of this extraordinary power-grab but I don't want to come across as a zealot (excepting that I may have already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This really has no relevance to local Greystones/Charlesland issues

Politics forum here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement