Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Manor Hotel

Options
  • 04-10-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

New name of Setanta House, I heard it's opening on Oct 14th.
    It's up on Hotels.com and expedia.ie.

I wish them all the best, it's really a lovely building and hopefully they can get a leisure centre going in the near future

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

The Mulk wrote: »
    New name of Setanta House, I heard it's opening on Oct 14th.
    It's up on Hotels.com and expedia.ie.

I wish them all the best, it's really a lovely building and hopefully they can get a leisure centre going in the near future

Good news, Hopefully they will be serving decent food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

It'll be nice to have this up and running again, it was such a lovely building- fingers crossed whoever is managing the place does a good job, there's a lot of potential and Celbridge needs a hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lindam66

can't wait to see this lovely hotel up and running again. Just don't do the nightclub again.
    We need a gorgeous place to take visitors and be able to have a nice meal and drinks.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I doubt the new owners would have any interest in re-opening the nightclub, except maybe late opening at Christmas / New Years. The vast majority of Celbridge's young people go out in Maynooth or town.

From looking at the pictures on hotels.com, the former nightclub is going to be the main hotel bar. Presumably the old bar will now be the breakfast room.

Not that there was anything wrong with the nightclub. Most people who complain about it probably never even went there.

• Advertisement

definitely agree with your post. ..However there were an awful lot of problems with the nightclub hence why I hope there will not be one in the future.
    and young people going to maynooth? maynooth was always there before too and I did go to the place when it was open just because it was local and handy. .. so my own personal experience is what I'm going by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

lindam66 wrote: »
    definitely agree with your post. ..However there were an awful lot of problems with the nightclub hence why I hope there will not be one in the future.
    and young people going to maynooth? maynooth was always there before too and I did go to the place when it was open just because it was local and handy. .. so my own personal experience is what I'm going by :)

I went regularly from about 2000 on and I think I saw one fight worth talking about in 6 or 7 years (which involved a gang from Maynooth), but people often go on now about how it was trouble etc.

I just think Maynooth was always there but at the time only had the Glenroyal which was a rougher spot than the Setanta to be honest. With The Roost refurbished, Mantra and O'Neills they have a stranglehold now on people going out "locally" and younger people are a lot more prone to going into town than previous generations.

I think the hotel will prove to be some bargain to the buyers at €1.2m for such a classy building, really hope it works out well.

oh I remember a lot of issues from the past. . big thumbs up to the future of this lovely place.
    Best of luck with it and all the best :)

The nightclub used to attract the wrong kind, even the taxi men still talk about it and often refused to take calls from there. I witnessed the aftermath of the vandalism done on the Clane Rd. by people coming away from the nightclub on a regular basis.

I wish the new hotel all the best and hope it is successful without a nightclub.

Joe Public wrote: »
    The nightclub used to attract the wrong kind, even the taxi men still talk about it and often refused to take calls from there. I witnessed the aftermath of the vandalism done on the Clane Rd. by people coming away from the nightclub on a regular basis.

I wish the new hotel all the best and hope it is successful without a nightclub.

I used to do taxiing in Celbridge, none of our drivers would go through the gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Setanta was where everyone in school went underage on Saturdays as the venues in Maynooth actually put some effort in to checking you were >18, at least for the nightclubs. Everyone moved to the Hamlet in Johnstownbridge once they were actually old enough.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I never went when I was underage, but I did enjoy a few nights there alright until I witnessed an incident I never wish to witness again. But all in all, I am glad to hear it is reopening/ed. I'll look forward to grabbing some food there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Have they started doing food yet?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

ChewChew wrote: »
    I never went when I was underage, but I did enjoy a few nights there alright until I witnessed an incident I never wish to witness again. But all in all, I am glad to hear it is reopening/ed. I'll look forward to grabbing some food there too :)

At the very last new years one before it closed down there was carnage inside and then outside after, one involving a car!

beertons wrote: »
    Is it open?

anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

It’s not open and still a bit of a building site which has me hoping they are fixing all the things I didn’t like about the Setanta such as the lack of a proper restaurant, the dark and dungeon like bar and the awful Guinness. Current rumour says it will open during December. I wish them well.

The web page http://celbridgemanorhotel.ie/ is under construction and the blank FB page already has 577 likes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

The bar opened last night and my friends who were there thought the bar was smaller than before but I will have to go on a mission and check it out for myself.

Rigel wrote: »
    It’s not open and still a bit of a building site which has me hoping they are fixing all the things I didn’t like about the Setanta such as the lack of a proper restaurant, the dark and dungeon like bar and the awful Guinness. Current rumour says it will open during December. I wish them well.

The web page http://celbridgemanorhotel.ie/ is under construction and the blank FB page already has 577 likes :)
    Rigel wrote: »
    The bar opened last night and my friends who were there thought the bar was smaller than before but I will have to go on a mission and check it out for myself.

Builders worked overtime yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

was there on Sunday for some food

a limited menu and a bit pricey but I guess they are only starting out and may expand if succesful

food itself was fine quality wise but was waiting a while for food

overall there is potential

place itself looked well and it even looked like they had some guests already

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    was there on Sunday for some food

a limited menu and a bit pricey but I guess they are only starting out and may expand if succesful

food itself was fine quality wise but was waiting a while for food

overall there is potential

place itself looked well and it even looked like they had some guests already

Normal bar menu type of stuff?
    Much more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

dobsdave wrote: »
    Normal bar menu type of stuff?
    Much more expensive?

basically bar menu yes

steak, burger, fish and chips and curry were main courses I think

off the top of my head the fish and chips was about €14 and the steak €16

basically bar menu yes

Thanks, will have to check it out.

For a new venture, they aren't publicising it very much (at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

basically bar menu yes

That's what annoys me - why bother opening another place with the god awful burger/chilli/steak/chicken curry menu, you can get them in every single food pub in the country, and why would you even consider going there if that's all that's on offer? Something a bit more adventurous and inventive would be much more likely to tempt me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I went there today with the intention of having lunch. Place has had a lick of paint, new signage, carpet. Reception area has moved, it's a bit hidden now, opposite the bar.

The bar is pretty much as previously. Had a look at the menu and walked out due to the prices.
    As said above typical lunchtime bar food. Hake was €11.95, Roast beef was €12.95, Steak €16.95, Fish, chips and mushy peas was incredibly, €16.95.
    I went to the Village Inn where the fish and chips was €7.95 and included bread, butter and tea. It was also excellent. For 2 adults and 2 kids, both of whom had dinners we paid €34. I reckon it would have been about €50 in the Celbridge Manor, not something I would pay for Friday lunchtime. Given the competition I'd be very reluctant to even pay it on Sunday. Abbey Lodge do a 3 course Sunday lunch for €17 or €18, including the option of steak.

All in all, a bit underwhelmed

I like the hotel feel and look of the place and provides a nice place to bring or meet people. The new paint finishes, decor and carpets gives it a brighter and more comfortable experience. A hotel has been badly missed in Celbridge for too long now and here's to hoping all the best for its future survival. I hear they have 20 rooms of the 70 up and running and are booked out for the next few weeks.

It is important to keep in mind that hotels make most of their money from rooms and services provided rather than filling the bar by selling meals at budget prices. When people stay in hotels they like their comforts and are prepared to pay a little extra to have a relaxing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Just been in, the bar was full but a couple left so we got their table. The fella that appeared to be in charge picked up the empties and we sat down. No-one came near us so the mrs went and got menus. The table remained wet and unwiped. After 10 minutes of being ignored we left. There were 3 staff milling about behind the bar the whole time. On the way out the mrs went up to the fella that cleared the table and let him know she was unhappy. He asked where we were sitting, she told him he should know where we were sitting. Then instead of offering to sort out the situation, he asked what her name was!!!! Doubt we'll be back. Went to the Village Inn instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

"It is important to keep in mind that hotels make most of their money from rooms and services provided rather than filling the bar by selling meals at budget prices. When people stay in hotels they like their comforts and are prepared to pay a little extra to have a relaxing time."

That statistic does not justify poor service in a bar/restaurant of a hotel. If someone is paying a little extra to have a relaxing time there and they get screwed by the price of food and drinks they're hardly likely to stay there again don't you think? It doesn't take a genius to get the balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭everest1980

To say that I will not be going back in a hurry is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wow ... between the complete lack of advertising in the Celbridge area and bad reports from early users ... it's not exactly a positive re-opening for the Setanta.

Can't say Im eager to go explore based on what I'm reading in this thread.

Advertisement