Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip your beauty therapist?

• 04-10-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the etiquette is on this, I am not a regular user of salons except for a basic bikini wax which is about €14. I normally give my therapist €2, but I always feel a embarressed as it's such a small amount. But then it is almost 15% of the price of the treatment and any more would leave the wax quite expensive.

Just wondering what other people do, do you tip your therapist and if so, how much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Don't feel bad about a 2 euro tip, it's more than most tip and especially if she's a junior therapist, she will be delighted with it. Don't feel like you have to tip either, most don't.

Whether I tip or not depends on a few things.
    Was I late being taken into my appointment?
    Did I feel like the treatment was rushed?
    Did I enjoy it/was it a good treatment?

I would tip for facials or massages or pedicures because who likes touching feet eh? But only if I was super happy with the treatment I received from the minute I entered the salon.

I won't tip for a mediocre service like shellacs, spray tan, or an eyebrow shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would tip for facials or massages or pedicures because who likes touching feet eh?
    That's kind of why I tip for a bikini wax, however bad touching someones feet is, that is surely worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not usually no, but then I don't really tip hairdressers either. However if they worked really hard or the finish was exceptional I wouldn't hesitate to tip. Some beauty treatments require a bit more elbow grease than others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I always tip my beautician. She does my eyebrows exactly how I want them so i always give her an extra fiver. I think she values the tips as she is always very good at fitting me in at awkward times. I don't tip at hairdressers because I've yet to find one I really like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

pow wow wrote: »
    Not usually no, but then I don't really. tip hairdressers either. However if they worked really hard or the finish was exceptional I wouldn't hesitate to tip. Some beauty treatments require a bit more elbow grease than others!

Hi pow wow,

Just curious, I used to tip my hairdresser (in the Celtic days), usually 5 euro.

These days I don't because I can't afford to do so. I feel a bit bad that I don't because the girls are brilliant and always do an amazing job on my hair.

During the summer I had to attend a few weddings and the updos they created were fantastic. But between the hair do, the outfit and the wedding present I wasn't flush with money to give the girls a tip.

My updo consisted of a full set - for the curl effect, then they did the updo, and put in the fancy clips I had bought. All for 20 euro.

I felt bad not tipping them. Two weeks ago I was back again to my local hairdressers to get my roots done and I gave them a 5 euro tip.

Is a 5 euro tip a bit mangey? Do they understand that some months I can't give them a tip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I tip 5, same as I tip my hairdresser unless I am not happy with the treatment. Most beauty therapists are badly paid and often get a very low percentage of what you are being charged..it goes to the salon owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I tip my waxer, the treatment is €35 (50 in most other places) so I give her €40 each time. I usually tip my hairdresser too, mostly a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I usually tip a fiver to my beautician and hairdresser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aineoil wrote: »
    Hi pow wow,

Just curious, I used to tip my hairdresser (in the Celtic days), usually 5 euro.

These days I don't because I can't afford to do so. I feel a bit bad that I don't because the girls are brilliant and always do an amazing job on my hair.

During the summer I had to attend a few weddings and the updos they created were fantastic. But between the hair do, the outfit and the wedding present I wasn't flush with money to give the girls a tip.

My updo consisted of a full set - for the curl effect, then they did the updo, and put in the fancy clips I had bought. All for 20 euro.

I felt bad not tipping them. Two weeks ago I was back again to my local hairdressers to get my roots done and I gave them a 5 euro tip.

Is a 5 euro tip a bit mangey? Do they understand that some months I can't give them a tip?
    I don’t think €5 is mangy to tip, that’s what I tip my hairdresser and the main reason I tip at all is because she only charges €25 which is really reasonable, so I don’t mind throwing an extra €5 on top. I’m sure they don’t think you’re stingy if you don’t tip every time, especially if you were in quite frequently over the summer. I don’t think people expect a tip these days as much as they would have in times past, I think they know people are hard up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement