Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

d.i.d costumer service

Options
  • 04-10-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi i purchased an lg tv last drcember wich was faulty from the word go. it had two faults one being a green line goin down the screen broken circut board

instead of a replacment they offered repair which i wasnt to happy about because i coulda bought a second hand set but after the repair i mite aswell have. it came back marked with glue stains and only one fault repaired

now theirs 3 lines going down the screen and yet again they offer a repair. their costumer service is rubbish they dont ring back. ive got 2 emails then no reply.

basicaly im looking for some input im fuming the tv was not cheap i still have receipt also?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

johnogog88 wrote: »
    hi i purchased an lg tv last drcember wich was faulty from the word go it had two faults one being a green line goin down the screen broken circut board instead of a replacment they offered repair which i wasnt to happy about because i coulda bought a second hand set but after the repair i mite aswell have it came back marked with glue stains and only one fault repaired now theirs 3 lines going down the screen and yet again they offer a repair their costumer service is rubbish they dont ring back ive got 2 emails then no reply basicaly im looking for some input im fuming the tv was not cheap i still have receipt also?thanks

Jesus my eyes hurt after reading that. Why don't you go into the shop you purchased it from and explain the situation to them and ask for a replacement and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You've contacted their customer service again this time and had no joy?

Write to them, I'd deliver the letter by hand and ask the manager to sign for it, if he wont sign for it leave it in and send a copy registered post. Something along the lines of:

Dear Sir,

I bought a TV set from you on <date>, right from the first day I had issues with the set, specifically <issue>. The set was repaired and returned to me on <date> despite my insistence that it be replaced. The set was returned to me with <issue> (glue or whatever). It has now subsequently developed another fault. Under my consumer rights pursuant to the Sale of Goods and Supply of services Act, 1980 I request a replacement of the unit or refund as the repair you have made to the set in the first instance has not been permanent.

Furthermore pursuant to European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003 Section 7(5):

Where the remedy of repair or replacement is provided the repair or replacement shall be completed within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience to the consumer, taking account of the nature of the goods and the purpose for which the consumer required them.

I deem ten working days to be a reasonable time for you to complete the replacement.

Please conduct any further correspondence with me by letter or e-mail <email address> in a timely fashion. Failure to comply with my consumer rights in the specified time frame will result in me taking you to the Small Claims Court.

Yours Faithfully,

<sign>

Mr. AN Other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No offence but it is so hard to read that post OP. If you come back on this could you use an odd full stop and capital letterletter, as it's very hard to stick with a story written all as one sentence.
    Anyway, go back to them. Tell them it was repaired so now you are moving on to the replacement or refund part of the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you do get back in, ask them if they'll sell you a return key as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

oh jesus very sorry forgot i was typing a formal letter.

• Advertisement

oh jesus very sorry forgot i was typing a formal letter.

There's typing a formal letter and then there is posting so others can help you. I and others are more than willing to do so, but a basic level of punctuation and paragraphing makes this much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No wonder they didn't reply to your emails - they probably couldn't read them ;)

How do you know there was a broken circuit board ? Did you open the set and see it or did they tell you this ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - enough commenting on the post style. Stick to the topic

dudara

thanks dudara.i honestly dont think it was important enough to keep posting about.as regards the broken circuit i googled it and the repair company confirmed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

Hi OP,

I had a some dealings with d.i.d something similar, item just out out of warranty 2 separate faults arose, the manager towed the party line will repair but gonna cost yeah, right I said (lol) to myself.
    To summarize I took d.i.d to small claims, accepted a repair reluctantly but whatever happened during the repair process, they made a balls up and my item became non repairable. I was offered a new replacement similar spec happy days,

It did take about 5 months from start to completion however and in fairness I found dealing with d.i.d customer services ok,

hope this helps,

regards.

• Advertisement

Hi pat
    thanks for the helpful reply,sounds like a similar case.i contacted d.i.d yesterday,the salesman informed me repair is all im entitled to still in warranty.ive since contacted customer rights who say this isnt the case and write a formal letter.
    i wrote an email wich i got feedback to say was bein reviewed so here's hoping.haha.ive cobtacted small claims who are ready to take a case should they not reply.

The salesman is incorrect.

Initially you were entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The shop offered repair, which you accepted. If the repair isn't permanent (which it doesn't appear to be), then you are entitled to reject further offers of repair and instead seek a replacement or refund.

A written letter is a good step. Let's see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Initially you were entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The shop offered repair, which you accepted. If the repair isn't permanent (which it doesn't appear to be), then you are entitled to reject further offers of repair and instead seek a replacement or refund.

Wouldn't the repair only have to be permanent within the first X years (let's say 5 is expected for a TV)? i.e if TV craps out year 3, and they repair and it lasts to year 5 and two months, have they covered you under Sales of Goods?

Whereas if the repair lasts to year 4, they would have to replace, or offer you a value of the TV? Trying to get this straight in my head, especially if a TV is replaced in year 4, how long are you covered under the act for this? Is this just an enactment of your original agreement with the retailer in which they have to guarantee the product for X years, or does this extend the warranty as it is a new product?

I've also seen people mention when you go to courts they may only have to offer you a certain value of the TV, i.e. TV should last 5 years, was worth €600 at purchase and only lasts 3 years, they go to court would have to pay €200?

Wouldn't the repair only have to be permanent within the first X years (let's say 5 is expected for a TV)? i.e if TV craps out year 3, and they repair and it lasts to year 5 and two months, have they covered you under Sales of Goods?

The issue is not actually the Sale of Goods Act but the Statute of Limitations Act 1957. (Beware the Irish Statute book it doesn't have consolidated legislation i.e. amended legislation).

The SoL gives you six years under simple contract law to lodge a complaint. Cases are considered on their merits. A paper aeroplane is not expected to last as long as a granite statue. The repair would have to last as long as is reasonable but not beyond six years.
    Whereas if the repair lasts to year 4, they would have to replace, or offer you a value of the TV? Trying to get this straight in my head, especially if a TV is replaced in year 4, how long are you covered under the act for this? Is this just an enactment of your original agreement with the retailer in which they have to guarantee the product for X years, or does this extend the warranty as it is a new product?

It would depend on some external factors and how the replacement was handled. The short answer is if its a new contract six years again, if it's not a new contract you have until the end of the six year period, but that does not mean it's covered for six years. The Small claims court may well decide 4 years is enough.
    I've also seen people mention when you go to courts they may only have to offer you a certain value of the TV, i.e. TV should last 5 years, was worth €600 at purchase and only lasts 3 years, they go to court would have to pay €200?

They will always look at the depreciation in the value of the goods. This is where sometimes it's better to accept a second repair than insist on a refund - a refund will not be a full refund. It's in various parts of our consumer law that a retailer is not under an onerous obligation to provide a remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

From a purely technical perspective and kind of siding on the retailers side:

Scenario.

Someone buys a TV and after 6 months the screen goes dark, let's say the back-light gives up and dies, back-light is replaced and all is good for another 2 years. After that the power supply goes faulty because the set is on for 24 hours a day with the symptoms the screen goes dark again. 2 completely different faults but to the customer it looks like the same fault - dark screen. To the repair company or whoever inspects the set for the second fault they are completely different faults - unrelated and unconnected.

Seems a bit harsh to expect the retailer to replace the TV on the "repair must be permanent" rule, no ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    From a purely technical perspective and kind of siding on the retailers side:

Scenario.

Someone buys a TV and after 6 months the screen goes dark, let's say the back-light gives up and dies, back-light is replaced and all is good for another 2 years. After that the power supply goes faulty because the set is on for 24 hours a day with the symptoms the screen goes dark again. 2 completely different faults but to the customer it looks like the same fault - dark screen. To the repair company or whoever inspects the set for the second fault they are completely different faults - unrelated and unconnected.

Seems a bit harsh to expect the retailer to replace the TV on the "repair must be permanent" rule, no ?

Ken

Perhaps, but this is what happens when consumer law dates from 1893. That said the goods should be durable enough to have zero faults in the majority of cases rather than two.

update guys.
    d.i.d rang today and said that its repair or nothing the law is repair 3 times then replacement.This of course isnt what consumer rights wich i told him,i also mentioned small claims court wich he said go ahead but u still wont be entitled to anything other than repair.

ZENER wrote: »

Ken

The repair must be permanent. If the SAME fault arises then the repair was not permanent. If a different fault arises, then the whole repair rigmarole can start again. The retailer always has the right to investigate the reason for the failure and identify the root cause. If the fault is deemed to the due to misuse or damage, then they do not have to have repair, replace or refund.

However, the consumer could likewise argue that two unrelated faults with an item indicates poor quality.
    johnogog78 wrote:
    update guys.
    d.i.d rang today and said that its repair or nothing the law is repair 3 times then replacement.This of course isnt what consumer rights wich i told him,i also mentioned small claims court wich he said go ahead but u still wont be entitled to anything other than repair.

Time to test them in the Small Claims court.

thanks for all the help dudara will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

update guys.
    If you want a bit of fun, ask him to reference which law says that and watch him huff and squirm as he tries to find something that doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

hi slimjim
    he said he would ring back tomorow to find out if im booking it for repair or goin with court.il test out his knowledge of the law then.haha.thanks

sorry,forgot to mention he said" its the law cause of the companys who manufacture the tv's and he has vans on the road non stop with tv repairs their just like cars,theres only repair not replacement with tv sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find DID great to deal with. They are about the Irish electrical company who are competitive, if not cheaper than foreign firms.

OP I imagine if you brought this TV in any other store in Ireland, they would all offer a repair and not a replacement. I presume you want a working tv, getting a repair will give you take.

hi hfallada,
    i duno i had a tv several years ago that kept turning of by itself and got replacement right away.

Advertisement