Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a new job. Do I need to give notice?

Options
  • 04-10-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks.

Just wondering if I could get a bit of advice please.

(sorry - be prepared I'm going to rant)

I started a new job about 3 weeks ago in a well established global company. From the out set it has gone dreadful and not from my side, from the companies side of things.

I was hired in as administrator for essentially a start up company under the umbrella of larger global company. I new it was going to be a challenge but it has just taken the biscuit so far.

I was brought in basically sat a boxes piled up because they have no desk for me, i had no pc, no phone for the first week. so I brought my own laptop in to work on. ran up my phone bill trying to keep in contact with my manager.

I was due to start a college course the first week of the job - doing the course was one of the reason they hired me. I have now worked so much over time that I couldn't attend the course and have missed first 3 weeks, so I have now delayed doing it until February because of this.

I've been driven up and down the country to meetings(this fine part of the job) but I've then been dropped at train stations with out notice because my boss was going elsewhere afterwards and couldn't bring me back to the office. shoved in and out of multiple strangers cars ( i know i sound like a 4 year old saying this but its very unnerving to be shoved in car with 3 men you don't know) to get lifts because my boss is so all over the place.
    I tried multiple time to drive my own car but my boss wanted to claim the expenses so he said he would drive.

I am essentially on my on in this job as the other team members are out on the road and occasionally they fire me mails about things I know nothing about and that I can't find the answers to as I no one to ask and no support in the role whatsoever.the people around me on my floor don't even say hello to me so when I ask them question its like trying to draw blood from a stone!!!

I've tried everything possible to go into this role to make it work but I've gotten to a point where I am now crying my eyes out before I walk in the door and having panic attacks( i have never had these before in my life) because I actually don't know what's going to come next.

I spoke with HR a week and half ago and told them that I was used to working in very process driving role and when I come in, in the morning I don't know what I am meant to be doing as my boss hasn't outlined anything to me. I don't even know if we have a folder on the shared area to save documents in!!
    I told them I took on this role because it would be a challenge but I am my wits end trying to deal with the lack of desk after 3 weeks, that I haven't been given any direction or support from my boss. I have had no role clarification at all since I started and that working 40 hours over a 4 day period wasn't what I had signed up for.

They apologised and said they they a lot of it was falling on their parts as the HR person who was meant to do my induction was out sick, but could I start afresh. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and a week and half later it still the same. I come in each morning looking for a spare corner to sit in, my boss doesn't give a toss. I pretty sure no one would notice if I didn't turn up at all.

Anyhow, where I'm out now is that throughout this. my mother has been taken to hospital with serve heart attack and other complications. we were told to be on stand by as it things were not looking good for her the last few days. she is on the mend now but they only moved her out of the ICU today.
    I continued to go to work as it is a new job and I didnt want to be taking liberties so early, I have now come down with acute bronchitis. I was sent home sick so I wound't infect anyone else (i kid you not).

My problem is I don't want to back. I actually don't think I can mentally deal with this role. I left a good paying job for this role as I thought it would be a great opportunity but its not.

I have spoken with my other half about it and while I can't afford to quit the job, I actually think I will have a breakdown if I go back. I have never been out of work. I always made sure I had job, worked hard out and just kept going but I am worn out now.

My problem is now, If I don't return, I am required to give them notice? I signed a contract going in but I have only been there 3 weeks.

What way do I phrase it to them that I will not be returning.
    They owe me wages for the time I have put in and expenses too but I am afraid I won't get paid now.

any advice at all would be great folks and thanks for reading my rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

The notice required would be as per the terms of your contract. More than likely you would have to give them a week's notice since you are there for under six months. Saying that, there is a chance that they would not ask you to work the full notice period since you are not there very long.

As HR seem to be sympathetic to your situation I would advise them of your intention to leave the role. I would simply tell them the truth and give them a summary of the aspects you mention above. You leaving reflects badly on both your manager but also the company in general so presumably they would wanted to review your reasons behind leaving the role.

You are legally entitled to get your wages and expenses so make sure you have everything documented in terms of what is owed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Walk away before your health is affected. You are there less than a month, so you have no rights, and can be fired at a moments notice. That works both ways. You can walk away, but, much as you may dislike it, you should tell you boss that you will be finishing that evening. I'm presuming you have not yet got a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd say the notice is tops one week.

Just do the week, keep everything above board from your point of view.

You never know, you might need a good word from their HR for your next job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

See what your contract says. You can always call in sick for a few days after you resign if things are really bad.

It sounds horrific by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 birdofparadise

thanks very much for your replies.

I was pretty certain they had to pay me but I am afraid that if I leave I will be fight a battle to get the wages I am due afterwards.

I have signed a contract with them. During my probationary period they have stated on it that they are entitled to to terminate my contract subject to one weeks notice.

So I would imagine If required I will need to work the weeks notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to your GP, and tell him/her what you have told us.

Most likely that will get a certificate saying that you had to leave the job for health reasons (which makes you eligible for wekfare straight away), and sick-cert for to cover your weeks notice.

Go to your GP, and tell him/her what you have told us.

Most likely that will get a certificate saying that you had to leave the job for health reasons (which makes you eligible for wekfare straight away), and sick-cert for to cover your weeks notice.

can I do this? I have never even applied for the dole so I don't have a clue about what or if I have any entitlements. I was hoping to get in straight away and start temping until I got something permanent but I probably should sign on just in case.

As it is I'm not getting paid for being sent home sick.

I should add I went to the doc about my bronchitis and told him this was all going on already. he was really lovely about it, bu gave me a note for two days as that stage yesterday I just out of with flu fever so i wasn't running at flu capacity to discussing the situation. So I would need to go back to him again?

See what your contract says. You can always call in sick for a few days after you resign if things are really bad.

It sounds horrific by the way!

horrific doesn't even cover it:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

horrific doesn't even cover it:eek::eek:

Mrs O'Bumble's is good advice, best of luck getting out of this.

I would imagine you'd need to go back to your doctor alright, but you could ring his receptionist and ask their advice.

If you resign today you could be free of this by this day next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Start-ups are always manic and under resourced. Working in a start-up always requires a person who can self-motivate and arrange their day efficiently. They requires somebody who can multi-task and by their very nature are unstructured,(you are essentially there to put a structure in place).
    Maybe you are not built for working in a start-up or a role with little supervision ,and should consider this in future employment.

That said you have only been there 3 weeks. This is no time at all and things could easily turn around once you figure out what you are required to do.

As to your original question ,offer the one weeks notice ,Even if you dread working another day ,you will find when you have done something about the problem then the working day will be fine and you will leave knowing you upheld your part of the agreement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement