Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights at LYIT

Options
  • 04-10-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Been meaning to ask for a while now but what do people think of the new traffic lights on the Port Road at LYIT. For the life of me I can't figure the layout at all. Coming from Tesco, you can be past the lights, then they turn red so you have to stop in the middle! Could they not have had the new car park entrance straight across from the college entrance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Coming from Tesco, you can be past the lights, then they turn red so you have to stop in the middle!
    I'd forgotten about these getting switched.
    Do they not have a gold to tell you to prepare to stop? That way you don't stop in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Maldesu wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about these getting switched.
    Do they not have a gold to tell you to prepare to stop? That way you don't stop in the middle.

They do yeah but sure if they turn amber just as u pass the lights, they are red by the time you are in the middle of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

They do yeah but sure if they turn amber just as u pass the lights, they are red by the time you are in the middle of them.

So they just change really quickly then and catch people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Maldesu wrote: »
    So they just change really quickly then and catch people?

No they dont change any faster than normal lights, as far as i'm aware. The distance that has to be travelled between the two sets of lights is the problem. You really have to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

As far as I am aware the first set of lights are the only ones that are relevant, if they are green carry on , the second set of lights are only indicative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What is with the second set as you travel away from the town?

They seem to be pointing away from the road as you pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

salonfire wrote: »
    What is with the second set as you travel away from the town?

They seem to be pointing away from the road as you pass them.

Think they're for cars coming out of the IT entrance. Anyway they're a disaster in the mornings and the councils plea to people to be patient and that things will settle down is BS as nothing is going to change to alleviate the problems on the mornings. In fact they'll get worse as winter approaches and its darker and more people use cars. I avoid the area completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I may be wrong but I don't think so: once you pass over the white line at the first set on green, continue on through past the second set of lights.

The lights were removed by Traffic Solutions during last week. Allegedly the IT hadn't paid the company for them and so they took them away. I thought they were the CoCo or NRA's responsibility as it was the CoCo asking people to be patient and wait for them to 'settle' in. Anyway, I'm delighted they're gone and I'm betting that traffic will move perfectly well without them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

CJC999 wrote: »
    The lights were removed by Traffic Solutions during last week. Allegedly the IT hadn't paid the company for them and so they took them away. I thought they were the CoCo or NRA's responsibility as it was the CoCo asking people to be patient and wait for them to 'settle' in. Anyway, I'm delighted they're gone and I'm betting that traffic will move perfectly well without them next week.

As I understand it, the suppliers removed them due to a payment dispute with the main contractor who built the new carpark. If I am correct it is Siac who are going into examinership and the supplier was probably making sure they got their goods or payment.
    Its not the ITs fault but they will probably have to look at their contract with SIAC, whose difficulties apparently started over a project they were involved in over in Poland.
    It will be interesting to see how the traffic situation works out, but pedestrians will be put in danger crossing over to the carpark from the college
    I wouldn't be surprised if the car park gets closed for some health and safety as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

but pedestrians will be put in danger crossing over to the carpark from the college
    Problem solved ;)

5wiq5Z.jpg

As I understand it, the suppliers removed them due to a payment dispute with the main contractor who built the new carpark. If I am correct it is Siac who are going into examinership and the supplier was probably making sure they got their goods or payment.
    Its not the ITs fault but they will probably have to look at their contract with SIAC, whose difficulties apparently started over a project they were involved in over in Poland.
    It will be interesting to see how the traffic situation works out, but pedestrians will be put in danger crossing over to the carpark from the college
    I wouldn't be surprised if the car park gets closed for some health and safety as a result.

A pedestrian crossing and some signage would solve that problem.

muffler wrote: »
    Problem solved ;)

5wiq5Z.jpg
    I see they took my advice....seriously :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

muffler wrote: »
    I see they took my advice....seriously :cool:

And it bloody well works too, minimal traffic disruption. Just shows how ineffective those traffic lights were!

I think it was gas there yesterday. They had this "lollipop man" there but instead of using the normal "lollipop" sign with stop on both sides he was using one of the traffic management signs which has "stop" on one side and "go" on the other. So when he stuck the sign up to stop the traffic and allow people across the road only one lane of traffic stopped :D

Advertisement