Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky landlord

Options
  • 04-10-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just tought id write this here since i dont know where to go with this to.

I moved in few years ago when I had quite well paid job, since january im not working anymore and going deeper and deeper into debt because of rent that i have to pay (410 per month). As you can see this is quite difficult to pay from jobseeker allowance which is 180. So im spending 110 per week on rent alone and the rest goes for food. Ive got numerous bills pilling up because of this and i wanted to apply for rent allowance. I downloaded the form, filled it out and sent an email to my landlord asking would there be a chance of him signing it. Ive no reply to date and its been a month now.

Does he want me to go deeper and deeper in arrears with rent? I mean wouldnt it be easier for him to accept the allowance then at least he would have his rent paid on time?

Help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you tried telephoning him?

Also is your tenancy PRTB registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I agree with Stheno, try calling him! We've had issues as well with the landlord not getting back to us and it turned out they just forgot to reply.. was all sorted out over the phone in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

As above, give them a call, don't see how they are being cheeky though!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

ok thx ill give him a ring but to date there was no issues with replying over email...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

oh and on previous tenancies ive had that PRTB number, but since i moved here ive got nothing so thats why im saying he might be bit cheeky with tax... ;]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You sent an email a month ago and got no reply; how do you even know he got the email? Why didnt you pick up the phone after a few days instead of leaving it a month?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

voojeq wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just tought id write this here since i dont know where to go with this to.

I moved in few years ago when I had quite well paid job, since january im not working anymore and going deeper and deeper into debt because of rent that i have to pay (410 per month). As you can see this is quite difficult to pay from jobseeker allowance which is 180. So im spending 110 per week on rent alone and the rest goes for food. Ive got numerous bills pilling up because of this and i wanted to apply for rent allowance. I downloaded the form, filled it out and sent an email to my landlord asking would there be a chance of him signing it. Ive no reply to date and its been a month now.

Does he want me to go deeper and deeper in arrears with rent? I mean wouldnt it be easier for him to accept the allowance then at least he would have his rent paid on time?

Help :)

cheeky landlord?????? your the smart ass thats not paying the rent!!! if u cant pay it ,get out, and let in some one who can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why do people rely on email. Lost of people hardly look at their email, and not very often.

Ring the LL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

cheeky landlord?????? your the smart ass thats not paying the rent!!! if u cant pay it ,get out, and let in some one who can!

The poster quite clearly stated that they are continuing to pay rent but that other bills are piling up as a result. Way to jump down his neck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

where did OP say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cycnus

I agree with nearly everyone, just ring him. Today emails get so full of junk its sometimes hard to keep on top unless you check them every day.

Anyway, €410 a month seems very reasonable to me, but I dont know your location or the type of property. Its entirely possible that you are getting cheap rent because he is not paying tax on it. You might be opening a can of worms here.

Hes obviously not registered with the PRTB, or you would know, because you would have had to sign the form.

The way I see it is, you have 3 choices.

1. Man up, €410 is f*** all to pay for rent per month, ive rented rooms that cost more than that. look at the value in what you are receiving. There are probably very few people who are working who can say when they have their rent paid and paid for child minders etc while they work for a living that they have €70 left over per week. by my calculations averaging €303 per month. What are you eating? Lobster? Or are you feeding a family with that?

2. Tell him the story. Tell him you cant afford to pay the rent because you have lost your job, and you want him to temporarily reduce it while you look for a job, and when you get one you can pay full whack again. If you are a good tenant he will knock a few quid off and then you can buy all the lobster you want.

3. Open said can of worms. Landlord will get a fine, kick you out/put up the rent. Either way you are worse off.

Bottom line, call up the landlord. Communication is key. If you cant afford a place. Move somewhere cheaper. Dont be a victim of circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I managed very well in 188 per week paying the same monthly rent as you, as well as my esb, landline Internet, mobile phone bill and food. I really can't see how debts are piling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cycnus

since we are sharing, i survived college on 63.50 per week 8 months of the year. Got some part time jobs too but i rarely had close to 200.
    So if you think you have it hard. with your internet connection and your smartphone, remember people like me had a really tough time while builders were causing the price of everything to go up just a few years ago.
    For me, the "boom" was really difficult because i had f*** all, and prices were ridiculous. out of that, I had to pay for rent, food, bills, college costs, and i might add medical bills because I didnt have a medical card because my mother earned €8 too much per week to qualify, therefore i didnt either.
    People on the dole, you dont know what difficult times are.
    I bet you never had to make a decision like, will i eat meat this week or go to the cinema? Will i buy a birthday present for my girl friend and f***ing starve or tell her "Im sorry that all i can give you is a ****ty card". Im sure you never had to steal teabags from a canteen because friends were coming over to your place. And before you suggest it, I didnt even drink in college, or go out for that matter. One time a voucher booklet from McDonalds came through the letter box, and it was like Christmas had come early!

To summarise, you dont know how lucky you are. Free money and free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cycnus wrote: »
    since we are sharing, i survived college on 63.50 per week 8 months of the year. Got some part time jobs too but i rarely had close to 200.
    So if you think you have it hard. with your internet connection and your smartphone, remember people like me had a really tough time while builders were causing the price of everything to go up just a few years ago.
    For me, the "boom" was really difficult because i had f*** all, and prices were ridiculous. out of that, I had to pay for rent, food, bills, college costs, and i might add medical bills because I didnt have a medical card because my mother earned €8 too much per week to qualify, therefore i didnt either.
    I bet you never had to make a decision like, will i eat meat this week or go to the cinema? Will i buy a birthday present for my girl friend and f***ing starve or tell her "Im sorry that all i can give you is a ****ty card". Im sure you never had to steal teabags from a canteen because friends were coming over to your place. And before you suggest it, I didnt even drink in college, or go out for that matter. One time a voucher booklet from McDonalds came through the letter box, and it was like Christmas had come early!

My heart bleeds for you. That sounds terrible. How did you cope? You know what you should do? Talk to Joe. 1850 715 815. He would lap that stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

What you should do is, eat meat and go to the cinema on alternate weeks, or take a week off from the cinema and do BOTH the next

OP, call your LL and have a chat. It's the only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

So did you eat meat or go to the cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So did you eat meat or go to the cinema?

Im on the edge of my seat to find out as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

syklops wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for you. That sounds terrible. How did you cope? You know what you should do? Talk to Joe. 1850 715 815. He would lap that stuff up.

I don't know which forum you think you're posting in- but this certainly isn't the comedy club. Behave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- this is not a soap opera. OP- if you want to continue posting here- please read the forum's charter.

As nothing further of a constructive nature appears likely to be posted here- I'm closing this thread.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement