Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque clearance

Options
  • 04-10-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭

I lodged a cheque on monday, and the funds have appeared in my account. How do I know whether the cheque has cleared or not ? Is there a way of ascertaining this online without traipsing down to my branch ? The cheque was not a BOI cheque so I fully expect it to take a few days to clear but I do have to know 100% that it has cleared.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Daire, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

A non BOI cheque takes 5 working days to clear.

If you go through the motions of making a payment online, it will bring you to a screen that says 'available funds'. This figure is a cleared balance and what is available to you at that particular time. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hi Daire, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

A non BOI cheque takes 5 working days to clear.

If you go through the motions of making a payment online, it will bring you to a screen that says 'available funds'. This figure is a cleared balance and what is available to you at that particular time. 

Thanks

Billy
    Is that 100% ? I ask because I was in my local branch about half an hour ago and the cheque hadn't cleared, but if I go through to do a transfer right now my 'available funds' is the same figure as my balance, implying that it -has- cleared. It certainly could have happened in the space of the last 30 minutes of course, but I have to be certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Daire, 

It may be that your account is set up to allow access to uncleared funds.
    If this is the case, you would have access to the value of the cheque before it has cleared. I would advise making a call to Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 to clarify this as accessing uncleared funds may incur charges. 

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement