Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Welfare System

• 04-10-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I see that the Conservative Party in the UK are making some significant changes to their welfare system:
    • Benefits capped to a max of £26k per year (apparently some households were claiming of £100k per year)
    • Bringing in a Universal Credit which consolidates 6 benefits and tax credits into one simple payment
    • Reforming disability benefits
    • Increased labour activation measures
    • Requiring long term claimants to work for their benefits
    Meanwhile back in Ireland, we are getting castigated time and again by the Troika for failing to make significant reforms of this area.

IMO the vast, vast majority of claimants are 100% valid. However, I also think that there are some welfare traps out there where people are actually better off not working. As long as it's done in a humane manner, I would like to see some of the same changes that are happening in the UK brought over here.

My question is whether others feel that the system needs reform?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sure but it's not going to happen while the Labour Party are in government. Perhaps at the beginning of the next government as long as SF aren't in power either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Pity we couldn't be as focussed when dealing with the massive welfare programs we're paying to unsecured bond-holders, failed banks, failed property speculators, failed politicians, and failed civil servants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

During the boom, the unemployment rate was about 4%, which was pretty much classed as full employment. This was despite the fact that social welfare rates were higher than they are now. It only suits the likes of Joan Burton to suggest that people won't take up employment because welfare payments are too high. It was amazing the amount of mothers she met who asked her to do something about reducing welfare because their sons wouldn't get out of bed and look for work because their welfare payments were too high :rolleyes:

The biggest welfare recipients are the corrupt and incompetent politicians who destroyed this country and are now in receipt of €100k+ pensions. If we're going to start reform, let's start with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

There is one simple question i would like to ask.How can we have people that never worked in this country,claiming social welfare and driving 20grand vans,jeeps,cars.If they can afford to live like that then they dont need the social welfare.Its easy to look back at their history and i bet they got their fist cheque in and around 18 years old.
    Then we have the poor hard working man or woman that goes looking for their dole after being let go and all the questions come at them as if their up to no good.Its time this fraud was stopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

One word "Jobs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Sure but it's not going to happen while the Labour Party are in government. Perhaps at the beginning of the next government as long as SF aren't in power either.

I know left leaning parties cannot be seen to be hard on welfare claimants, however, I do find it difficult to see how either party could disagree with a reasonable cap on welfare benefits.

Jumboman wrote: »
    One word "Jobs".

Yes, jobs will help, of course they will. However, that doesn't really reform anything. It just hides the problem until the next crisis. There is no reason why we can't have both jobs and reform. We live in hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bigroad wrote: »
    There is one simple question i would like to ask.How can we have people that never worked in this country,claiming social welfare and driving 20grand vans,jeeps,cars.

Ask it - I'm sure you will find out that that the vast vast majority don't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ask it - I'm sure you will find out that that the vast vast majority don't

The vast mojority aren't on the dole or countless other benefits. The vast majority are out working. The vast majority are not nor ever have been the problem. It's the 20% subset of any measurement that generally the problem, still needs to be sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The vast mojority aren't on the dole or countless other benefits. The vast majority are out working. The vast majority are not nor ever have been the problem. It's the 20% subset of any measurement that generally the problem, still needs to be sorted out.

20% of people on the dole are driving 20k cars?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well there's well over 20% of the traveller community driving around in vehicles worth well over 20k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yes, I meant that completely literally. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

There really does need to be a concerted effort to reduce fraud in our welfare system. That's a given. However, do we also need reform of the system itself. There are lots of cases out there where people would love to get off welfare but it just doesn't make financial sense for them to do so. In those cases, I blame the system rather than the individual and that is why we need reform.

Advertisement