Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glaze recommendations

Options
  • 04-10-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

I picked up one of those 2kg hams in dmc this morn n fancy roasting it. Any good glazing ideas.

OT but 6e for 2kg was a bargain in my eyes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You could boil it for a few hours, then remove most of the fat, score the ham on the fatty part you've left on, brush on a mixture of marmalade and cloves and bake in the oven.
    Or you can buy pretty decent ham glazes in pots in any supermarket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I agree with fussyonion about boiling it first because a 2kg piece is small for baking and might dry out a lot.
    Then I'd put a honey and wholegrain mustard glaze on it and bake it for 20-25 minutes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Id do same as above, boil for 2 ish hours and then cut off the fat. For the glaze I'd use honey and black pepper and then grate some orange rind over it before popping it under the grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I boil mine in Coke Cola for around 1.5 to 2 hours, then peel off the layer of skin on fat, score it glaze with honey and stick with cloves and throw it in the oven for 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Or boil in cider...mmm...with a honey and wholegrain mustard glaze after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement