Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking boundaries and previous planning applications

Options
  • 04-10-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a couple of quick question on the process of buying a home. I'm sure many of you have been through it and I appreciate any advice.

1. Solicitor has asked that I get a Surveyor to do a survey and check the boundaries of property also: I've already had an architect friend of mine thoroughly survey the property structurally (internally and externally) but not the boundaries. So do I need to hire an actual Surveyor now to check the boundaries? i.e., retrieve land deed/plans and go out and physically measure the garden walls?

2. Solicitor suggests engaging an electrician and a plumber to to ensure everything is in order: It's not an older property and I'm hoping this is not something that people routinely have to fork out for? Is it the norm?

3. Solicitor has said that a planning application search has shown an application was granted for a kitchen extension in the past. Has requested Surveyor to check this out: I didn't realize the Surveyor did all these planning checks. Is that the norm? So Surveyor will need to look up this planning application and then return to the property to check the kitchen is right by the plan and legally built etc?

thanks (apologies in advance if my questions seem unresearched, just looking for some interim fast feedback)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I imagine they intend the surveyor to check the extension was built, and built to plans. The solicitor will have the land maps, its to check they match reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One person, architect or surveyor should be able to do all that.

Involving the plumber and electrician at this stage may be a bit zealous, but it is up to you - how much are you willing to spend up front to save money down the line?

If the property is over 20-30 years old, you will need to look at the wiring and main electrical / plumbing / heating fittings, especially fuse board, boiler, hot water storage, etc.

Advertisement