Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abusive PMs from Mods

Options
  • 04-10-2013 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Is it normal to get abusive and offensive PMs from mods?
    I got one today and am unsure as how to recieve it, i.e. should I view it as just a Pm from another user or as from a mod and how do I tell the difference?.
    In both cases what is the best course of action?.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Report the PM using the usual icon (report.gif) and we will take a look.

Abuse is abuse, whether it's from a regular user or mod, and will be dealt with as such if warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Can this thread be moved to Helpdesk, just realised it would be more appropriate there, also can you tell me when a PM is reported, who get's to see it and in what sequence?.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's nothing to be added to this in the Helpdesk, you've already been given the correct approach to this.

Reported PMs are only seen by the admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry David, but the PM was not abusive. No further action will be taken.

Mr E wrote: »
    Sorry David, but the PM was not abusive. No further action will be taken.
    Have you read the PM? if so then tell me what you would call the term that was used? would you call it a term of endearment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was it "being a dick"? that's a term of endearment here

Was it "being a dick"? that's a term of endearment here
    No, but it might as well have been, with the way it's been handled and seemingly brushed aside as a thing of nothing.
    I suspect if it was a "normal" user who sent the PM then it would be handled very differently, and they would almost certainly have gotten a ban for an offensive PM and personal abuse, plus it's bizarre that just one person here is enough to arbitrarily decide what I personally do or do not find offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

david-k wrote: »
    No, but it might as well have been, with the way it's been handled and seemingly brushed aside as a thing of nothing.
    I suspect if it was a "normal" user who sent the PM then it would be handled very differently, and they would almost certainly have gotten a ban for an offensive PM and personal abuse, plus it's bizarre that just one person here is enough to arbitrarily decide what I personally do or do not find offensive.
    It's not really about what you find offensive in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I know it wasn't meant as abusive but I'm not so sure calling posters dicks is the best way to get the message across that certain behavior isnt tolerated.

Maybe it needs updating to reflect what is acceptable and what isnt. Because whether or not you're a dick on here is pretty subjective and there's quite a lot of posters on here who are dicks to other on a regular basis. You cant have internet discussion without that.

As a rule in the charter or the unspoken golden rule or whatever its ok to have it about that its not ok to be a dick. But when it comes to mod action there should be a specific reason the poster crossed the line and not a vague statement about being a dick.

It's not really about what you find offensive in fairness.
    If not, then what is it about in your opinion?.
    I know it wasn't meant as abusive but I'm not so sure calling posters dicks is the best way to get the message across that certain behavior isnt tolerated.

Maybe it needs updating to reflect what is acceptable and what isnt. Because whether or not you're a dick on here is pretty subjective and there's quite a lot of posters on here who are dicks to other on a regular basis. You cant have internet discussion without that.

As a rule in the charter or the unspoken golden rule or whatever its ok to have it about that its not ok to be a dick. But when it comes to mod action there should be a specific reason the poster crossed the line and not a vague statement about being a dick.
    Just to be clear here, the abusive term that was used was not used in a footnote or modnote when sending a PM about a infraction or ban.
    It was sent totally out of the blue and was unwarranted and unprovoked IMO.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between "you were being a dick" and "you are a dick"
    I'm pretty sure the latter isn't tolerated, be it mods or users.

This is all a bit cloak and dagger, I'd like to get other peoples opinions on the PM, if it ok to publish the PM and give a little background?.

If not, then what is it about in your opinion?.
    What you find offensive might be shrugged off and laughed at by another user.
    You can't legislate for individual users. There has to be a standard, I'm guessing yours didn't fall into what's considered offensive here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This is all a bit cloak and dagger, I'd like to get other peoples opinions on the PM, if it ok to publish the PM and give a little background?.

Why? An admin has already given their decision. Also, its against the rules to publish PM's (except in DRP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Just to be clear here, the abusive term that was used was not used in a footnote or modnote when sending a PM about a infraction or ban.
    It was sent totally out of the blue and was unwarranted and unprovoked IMO.

If it was "Dont be a dick" then it doesn't matter whether it was a footnote, modnote or a gentle warning by pm. Its all the same and not abusive as its just a mod reminding you of the charter. Which you must have provoked with some of your posts. I doubt a mod just randomly sent you a pm to call you a dick.

I do think though that it could be changed so as to be clearer. "Dont be a dick" just seems so unnecessarily crude and unhelpful or something. And Its been known to cause an issue from time to time as it seems to conflict with standard of posting that's generally expected of people on here.

This seems a bit of a non-issue. An admin looked at it and saw nothing abusive about it. Other admins will likely see it too and might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

This seems a bit of a non-issue. An admin looked at it and saw nothing abusive about it. Other admins will likely see it too and might not.

indeed. the PM is not abusive. This isn't feedback either.

If you receive a PM you find abusive, report the PM , don't start a thread in feedback making accusations please.

your complaint has in no way been ignored david-k but, given the content of the PM - *and* the context of the PM (prior communication but PM or post etc) which was sent to you from a USER that happens to mod a forum and not from a MOD in a mod capacity - this should have been resolved with the initial reporting.

Closing thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement