Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grace period when parking

Options
  • 04-10-2013 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

So today I parked in Monkstown for an hour using the text park system. According to my last text from them my parking ran out at 11.18. As I got back to my car it was 11.27 (silly me!) and there was a parking attendant putting a ticket on a car two cars behind me (so up the street from me). The car in front if me (so further down the street also had a ticket) and the parking guy was working his way up the street away from my car as I walked down.

I arrived at my car at 11.27 but he didn't give me a ticket (which is of course nice) despite having passed my car already and given tickets to cars either side of it . Why though? Is there a 10 minute grave period maybe? I was surprised!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Yes there's a fifteen minute grace period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Yes there's a fifteen minute grace period.

I thought that the 15 minutes grace period was when you arrived to allow you time to get change from a shop if you had none on you. Never knew of it for arriving back late at your car

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I thought that the 15 minutes grace period was when you arrived to allow you time to get change from a shop if you had none on you. Never knew of it for arriving back late at your car

In this Irish Independent report of the John Waters parking martyrdom case, a council official confirms that it applies to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Good to know! That's more generous then I thought it would be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In this Irish Independent report of the John Waters parking martyrdom case, a council official confirms that it applies to both.

I can see where you're getting that but I think that's sloppy reporting rather than an actual quote.

If you read the piece, you'll see that the council official never actually says (i.e. is not actually quoted as saying) that there is 15 minutes at the start of the period...

But the council said: “Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council decided to introduce a grace period to assist the council's customers and business operations in the council's administrative area.

“Motorists ... are given a grace period in which to purchase and display a valid pay-and-display ticket.”

It added the period is 15 minutes.

A 15-minute period is also allowed after the expiry of the paid parking time.

Dun Laoghaire give you 15 minutes grace at the end of the period. I'm pretty sure there is not 15 minutes grace at the begining because if that was the case, a traffic warden would have to hang around for 15 minutes before giving you a ticket because (e.g.) if he gave you a ticket at at 10 a.m., what's to stop you claiming you had only parked there at 9:50?

Typically what they do when they arrive in a street is scan up and down to see if there are people putting money in meters, if they don't see people messing with coins and meters then they start giving out tickets. No way does DLR give 15 minutes grace at the start of the period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »

If you read the piece, you'll see that the council official never actually says (i.e. is not actually quoted as saying) that there is 15 minutes at the start of the period...

Yes they are. You even quoted it in your very post there:

“Motorists ... are given a grace period in which to purchase and display a valid pay-and-display ticket.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes, they do

When picking my children up from primary school, parents have to park in an adjacent road due to the volume of traffic. The only parking spaces are pay and display. At the time of parking one day, I was immediately approached by a traffic warden who asked was I picking up kids from the school and he told me I had fifteen minutes without paying or he would have to give me a ticket..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'm pretty sure it even says it on the parking meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

coylemj wrote: »
    No way does DLR give 15 minutes grace at the start of the period.
    Yes, they do. The warden confirmed this to me when I arrived at a parking spot and tried the 'I'll just be a minute' excuse. He said 'You're grand, you have 15 minutes grace period anyway'.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Good to know! That's more generous then I thought it would be :)

Indeed, but still not enough for 'special' people like JOhn Waters

Advertisement