Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between DSL providers

• 04-10-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am wondering is there any difference between the broadband sold by the various providers from an exchange that's not LLU or NGB. Do all providers use the eircom equipment in the exchange and do they all use eircoms back haul. Most of the people in my area are with Vodafone or Sky. Do the eircom customers get a faster or less congested connection due to less people using their equipment or is everyone using the same equipment?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only smart use their own equipment in LLU exchanges. Everyone else is on the same DSLAMs and the same backhaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am wondering is there any difference between the broadband sold by the various providers from an exchange that's not LLU or NGB. Do all providers use the eircom equipment in the exchange and do they all use eircoms back haul. Most of the people in my area are with Vodafone or Sky. Do the eircom customers get a faster or less congested connection due to less people using their equipment or is everyone using the same equipment?

Thanks.

Short answer is no...it's like the Ford motto you can have any colour you like as long as it's black...here you can have any provider you want as long as eircom supply it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FlawlessWeb

No difference, but you can fully expect sales people from every company to tell you that there network is far superior to the competition; when probed as to how/why; that's when the bs really starts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Actually there is a difference but not on last mile or backhaul as mentioned above. All of that belongs to eircom and each isp has own logical network but physical is all the same (same dslam, same backbone equipment, same fibre uplinks). The differences starts at eircom handover point. Handover is a location where eircom terminates its infrastructure to isp network. From there isp is responsible for routing traffic to other local networks (local means irish) and handling international traffic via tier 1 carriers (cogent etc). Generally here is where different isps have different bandwidth for local traffic and international. Small isps can afford smaller pipes and hence congestion might occur. As far as remember upc and eircom have terabps pipes in ireland and ie magnet gbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Thanks for all the replies. Just wondering if there is any advantage in going with eircom over vodafone, utv, sky etc. Speed and quality of broadband is my priority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Thanks for all the replies. Just wondering if there is any advantage in going with eircom over vodafone, utv, sky etc. Speed and quality of broadband is my priority.
    Eircom is always my choice if price is not primary factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

It basically boils down to pricing and how you view the providers customer service. Other considerations are what hardware (router) and landline options each provide.

Advertisement