Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock 2 has Games For Windows Live Removed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭jos22

the free bio shock 2 dlc crashes at random to desktop for me tonight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Actually that's another weird one, DOW2 Retribution had it, but doesn't anymore, and DOW2 Chaos Rising still has it. haven't tried fallout 3 in years since it had issues with dual core processors and bethesda didnt bother patching it (they might have by now) so id to manually edit it's ini to allow it to work on my machine

Retribution did not had Games for Windows. It was the first stand alone expansion, which ditched it and went for steam. Two first ones had GFW shiet.
    I wonder will rockstar bother taking it out from GTA 4. One of the reasons GTA 4 is a nightmare to mod is GFW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that makes sense, i thought it had GFWL, must have been chaos rising i was thinking of. My version of GTA4 definitely doesnt have GFWL though. Played it there the other day and noticed specifically that it was gone because i'd been trying to remember my pass for it. Was it not patched out or have i just modded it so much that it broke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

went to to play the minerva dlc and found that I also have the trials dlc.Was that also free?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think Minerva's Den isn't free but everything else is. I think people who already owned the game got it free but if you buy it now you have to pay for it. Well worth it, mind.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

No I got minervas den free yesterday :) just didnt realise I had the trials dlc too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I think Minerva's Den isn't free but everything else is. I think people who already owned the game got it free but if you buy it now you have to pay for it. Well worth it, mind.

I added my physical copy key to Steam today, and Minerva's Den and the Protectors trials were both added to it. The Steam licence for it explicitly describes it as Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den Retail copy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Spear wrote: »
    I added my physical copy key to Steam today, and Minerva's Den and the Protectors trials were both added to it. The Steam licence for it explicitly describes it as Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den Retail copy.

Excellent, everyone gets the wonderful DLC (2 words that you never see together) free.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vladicaris

Can we expect same for batman arkham city soon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

vladicaris wrote: »
    Can we expect same for batman arkham city soon ?

Looks like it ,

Have a read here -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619976

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Downloaded this last night and went to play it today, game just constantly crashes on me. Very annoying, anyone else having the same?

I did. Ensure the game is up to date and then delete your saves folder (transfer your saves first). Then, launch the game and quit. Finally, place your most recent save in the new folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭jos22

danthefan wrote: »
    Downloaded this last night and went to play it today, game just constantly crashes on me. Very annoying, anyone else having the same?

did you switch to Direct x 9, mine did that in direct x 10 and stopped when i switch to 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm not terribly interested in Bioshock 2, but by Christ's own testicles it's good to see games getting rid of GFWL.

Do we really need every of microsoft c++ from 2005 to 2012 ?

vladicaris wrote: »
    Do we really need every of microsoft c++ from 2005 to 2012 ?

Yes,it isnt just games that install them either.You might see that you have 4 for 2005.All are different versions.

They are needed to run software that was developed with visual c++.If it wasnt installed the gameor application wouldnt run.

I did. Ensure the game is up to date and then delete your saves folder (transfer your saves first). Then, launch the game and quit. Finally, place your most recent save in the new folder.

Just to confirm here, it seemed like a corrupt save was the issue. I only had one save in the folder, so I just started the game and immediately overwrote the save that was there, it hasn't crashed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

jos22 wrote: »
    current list is

Bioshock 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
    F1 2010
    F1 2011
    Fallout 3
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
    Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

does this mean if you have physical copies of the above games you can redeem their GFWL keys on steam like Bioshock 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Just adding to this thread -
    It looks like the Arkham games are about to be updated soon to remove Games for Windows .

The cd keys for Arkham Asylum and City are no longer visible when right clicking on them in Steam .

I have the non-GOTY version of City , with all of the DLC , and I can see the cd keys for the DLC , but not the actual base game .

Probably going to tie in with the release of Origins .

simon360 wrote: »
    does this mean if you have physical copies of the above games you can redeem their GFWL keys on steam like Bioshock 2?

It looks like it (fingers crossed ) ,

Arkham City and Asylum GFWL redemption entries have been added to the Steam database .

Batman: Arkham City GFWL Redemption
    Batman: Arkham Asylum GFWL Redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Looks like it's been removed from the batman games, I had the regular edition of Arkham City* and they also added the GOTY version to my library

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Definitely gone. Steam news has them as deals for the weekend and also adds "now with Steamworks".

Edit: they also got Steam cards added.

I really hope they take it off Dark Souls soon.

Finally only steam game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just logged in after work to find I have a free copy of Arkham Asylum GOTY edition. Didn't have any of the DLC purchased for my original copy of AA. That'll save a few quid.

Truly, the death of GFWL is the gift that keeps on giving.

Playing through this now, it's really good. Enjoying it a lot.

Arkham City has also been patched to have GFWL removed, I'll be starting it after.

Advertisement