Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Closure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

God that's crap. My first school :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Sad to here it's closing but it had really gone down hill in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I have heard Nessans numbers have plummeted also so best for both schools really.

Nessans is a state of the art facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AgBaintTriail

I wonder if another nearby school will press across the road for lebensraum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It'll be sad to see the Salesians go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I won't be sad to see it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I am a former student of Salesians. Many years since I was though and it was a great school with wonderful teachers. I know it has downhill a bit but I am surprised by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Was talking to a friend of mine and her daughter will be going into 6th yr when its moving, I dont feel this is acceptable at all the stress of the leaving cert is bad enough but to be expected to find your way around a new school in your final yr is totally unaccepable.

Plus St nessans is a considerable distance away for a lot of students that went to St Nessans in the first place as they live in my area and can simply walk across the bridge to the school...Sad to see and I pity our future generations of kids as their choices are getting smaller and smaller.

steveon wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend of mine and her daughter will be going into 6th yr when its moving, I dont feel this is acceptable at all the stress of the leaving cert is bad enough but to be expected to find your way around a new school in your final yr is totally unaccepable.

Plus St nessans is a considerable distance away for a lot of students that went to St Nessans in the first place as they live in my area and can simply walk across the bridge to the school...Sad to see and I pity our future generations of kids as their choices are getting smaller and smaller.

I can't really see any stress as they are just being moved to nessans. Nearly no one from the area went to the secondary school anymore so its not really going to make a difference to the few who walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

sioda wrote: »
    God that's crap. My first school :-(

Only the secondary school closing chief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Ooops

I dont think there will be any stress involved in moving especially for exam year students and Nessans is not that far from those that attend Salesians.

There will be additional though of new uniforms.

I wonder does the school intend to take in first year students next september

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    I dont think there will be any stress involved in moving especially for exam year students and Nessans is not that far from those that attend Salesians.

As far as I heard they won't be taking in new students so the current first years will have completed their Junior Certs when they move. However I checked the list of open nights and they are down as having one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Nessans is getting a big revamp as part of regeneration aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

leaving cert can be very stressful for students and more importantly so if there is an additional stress thrown in to the pot - change in environment, change in teacher & teaching methods, routine, etc. why don't you think it would be any different "especially for exam year students"? I know of plenty of girls who came through Salesians in last few years having got very good leaving certs and university courses of their 1st choice. an additional stress like changing school could be very detrimental to achieving this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Yey !!! Slightly less traffic in that area in the mornings.....see, there's usually a silver lining.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

an additional stress like changing school could be very detrimental to achieving this.

They have a few years' notice, and they switch-over will happen at the start of the year. You might have a point if they were changing buildings in February or March, right before the exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

don't agree with you at all - having had 2 kids go thru leaving cert I feel there is only one thing they should have to worry about during that year and its routine, keeping things very even and being as stress free as possible.

however, I've often wondered how Salesians managed to keep going as long as it has been - with only 5/6 students in some classes, or 30 students in a whole year, it's days have been numbered for a while imo

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

As a past pupil I am saddened by this but the school is old and dated but if I was a parent I would be disappointed even if you just sent a first year in this year.

As well st nessans is a mixed school so girls are obviously going to outnumber the boys and a lot that are attending Salesians might not have wanted to be in a mixed school, but saying that st nessans is obviously bigger and a newer school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

I wonder will the high school build a bridge across the road and take it over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I was told nessans only has 80 students now.

It's a number I can't believe as when I was attending there was around 800 students. It is pretty much a brand new school so I can't understand the rapid decline in numbers.

If Nessans only has around 80 and Salesians similar then it's only right to amalgamate.

It may be extra stress for certain students but sadly it has to be done at some stage.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

From their website.
    The College grew to almost 950 students and 61 teaching staff in the mid-nineties. Currently we have an enrolment of 360 students, 3 special needs assistants and a teaching allocation of 38.00 teacher equivalents including resource teachers and learning support teachers.

So 80 might be the first years?

For a secondary school 80 is small so i think it might be first year students.

My cousin is also a former student of Salesians and said that the funds to run the school no longer exist. If this is true its a shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How do they have such low numbers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Schools change, areas change. You often get a glut of 12 year olds for a period fo a few years and then it gradually reduces until the intake in local schools is too low to be sustainable.

This trend generally reverses again, but no one in the Department of Education seems to realise this and shuts schools. Then you get a situation where there aren't enough places and new schools have to be built and then a few years later they are over quota again.

For what it's worth, knowing both schools, i think it will be good for the children of both schools, especially if some staffing allowance is made to ease the transition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

But then I hear its hard to get into Ard Scoil and Laurel Hill

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They've got good reputations (and deservedly so), so the demand is always going to be high. The two merging schools aren't what they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

bigpink wrote: »
    But then I hear its hard to get into Ard Scoil and Laurel Hill

you hear right!!

And taking another school off that common application form will cause more hassle to prospective first years all over the city.

The Limerick Leader has an article about it. There are some parents who are former students and they are very angry about it. They choose to send their daughters to an all girls school and did not want them being in a school with boys as they are not used to it. Also the added cost of new uniforms is frustrating for them aswell

• Advertisement

The Limerick Leader has an article about it. There are some parents who are former students and they are very angry about it. They choose to send their daughters to an all girls school and did not want them being in a school with boys as they are not used to it. Also the added cost of new uniforms is frustrating for them aswell

I disagree if they won't them to go to an all girls school they can apply to any of the other all girl schools to transfer. But it was pointless keeping two schools with so little pupils open.

Advertisement