Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvesting potatoes

• 04-10-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm confused. I'm growing main crop potatoes (sarpo mira and axona) and have read that they should be harvested in October when the upper vegetation has turned yellow etc. All my potatoes plants though are still sprouting green and pristine. Do I harvest them or leave them longer? G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Dig one up and see. As it is getting damper and slugs are breeding you could end up loosing some of your crop to damage. So most people would have theirs up by now. Frost is also a threat, although hopefully we have some time yet before we see that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

Thank you Redser7. I followed your advice and partially harvested my potatoes. Got a good crop. This is year 3 of planting potatoes - I have come to the conclusion that you get better results planting potatoes in containers. There seems though to be two schools of thought re: harvesting them. One school says harvest after they flower, the other says wait till the stalks go yellow. I usually wait. Yesterday was such a nice day to be out in the garden. Not much left to harvest now, other than the rest of the potatoes and some kale. G

Advertisement