Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone advice?

• 04-10-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057035451

This is my thread in the Eircom forum. I just dont know what to do, its killing this trouble im having. Every night and weekend im having this trouble. Imagine you come home from work to relax and you have to put up with this crap.

Iv had 3 Eircom engineers in my house and they have cleared everything. Iv been told by Eircom awful technical support and the Eircom engineers that the problem is the exchange but yet today iv come home to find my broadband has been reduced to 2mb. I was in an uproar and long story short I got my 3mb line back. Imagine iv had this trouble since August, can you believe that and nothing has been done. Iv had 3mb broadband since 2010 and never had this kind of trouble. Yes the pings and speed are crap each night but at least my broadband didnt cut out.

I dont know what else I can do, their talk to forum on boards is awful, their technical support is awful and the majority of engineers are only good for testing the line quality and no **** all about the exchange.

Here's a bit of back story about my exchange

A letter from Eircom

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

Iv also learned a while back that my exchange is a satellite exchange, so there's a big mast near it. Im not sure the ins and out of the satellite exchange, be nice to know

Has to be the congestion that is a causing the red light on the modem for me.

Is there anyway I can sort this out?

3 times already tonight now this problem

N6DTpn9.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

In the same boat. I'm 3 miles from a rural area exchange and at the end of the pipe on a crappy 2mb line. Every night I have to deal with network congestion resulting in very high pings and lower speeds. It goes well over 350ms from around 6pm to 1am which makes it impossible to play online games. Eircom doesn't care so, I'm looking into a fixed wireless solution. I've heard great things about this crowd so, I think I'm going to give them a go. http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/

It might be worth looking into a fixed wireless company near you. A friend of mine has it and is getting better pings then from guys using UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I had the same problem years ago, started off getting around 2.5 Mbs and gradually it declined, they changed my profile from 3 to 2Mbs but it continuted to detoriate. Eircom support couldn't give me an answer but now when I do a line test it say I can't even get it. I'm around 4 miles from the exchange so I imagine as more people signed up I began to suffer. When I signed up initially it was pretty much as soon as the exchange had gone live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Headshot wrote: »

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

The situation with Golden is well known and with lots of other exchanges around the country, see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056995145 for a list and other people in the same situation

Not much can be done at a user level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I can understand the ping and speed being dreadfully slow each night but I cant get my head around how the internet cuts out and needing to restart the modem to get it back or it comes back by itself

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FlawlessWeb

From terrible experience, just keep at them. I know full well how infuriating it can be, but keep bugging them every day until someone competent is sent to sort out the issue.

I wish there was better advice I can give, but it really does seem pot luck as to how each case is handled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement