Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do UPC throttle?

• 04-10-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

I'm a new customer, and I've been trying to download some (legal) stuff from rapidgator and also filefactory

The speeds I'm getting are worse than the 5mb Eircom line I'm coming from, hanging around 200kbs. When I try to download from other sources (for the sake of argument I tried to download ubuntu) and I got up to 4mbs. There is obviously a huge difference there so I'm wondering if it's something that UPC are doing.

The download speed in a speed test is over 150mb and web pages are lightening quick to load up so that doesn't concern me, but the fact that I've had the same problems with two providers does.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It could be congestion with the provider who provide UPC(Called a tier 3), but I dont know the details of who UPC use vs Eircom, or what their respective peering deals are. That kind of stuff isnt public afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I do appreciate the response, but I've no idea what you're talking about. I don't suppose anyone reading this using UPC can confirm or deny that they have problems with the above sites?

Filefactory is now giving me about 1200kbs, which is obviously a lot better but I'm still a little disappointed with it, rapidgator is still hanging around 200-300kbs even when there are multiple downloads ( that's each for more than one download, not combined)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Simple answer to your problems, your using websites that limit the bandwidth of free users, you will only download at your connections full speed using the sites in questions download managers that come with the paid for accounts.

your ISP is not limiting you, the sites you choose to download from are

dazdrog wrote: »
    Simple answer to your problems, your using websites that limit the bandwidth of free users, you will only download at your connections full speed using the sites in questions download managers that come with the paid for accounts.

your ISP is not limiting you, the sites you choose to download from are

I'm not a free user on either, and as I said my Eircom 5mb connection was giving me better speeds.

Nolimits wrote: »
    I do appreciate the response, but I've no idea what you're talking about. I don't suppose anyone reading this using UPC can confirm or deny that they have problems with the above sites?

Filefactory is now giving me about 1200kbs, which is obviously a lot better but I'm still a little disappointed with it, rapidgator is still hanging around 200-300kbs even when there are multiple downloads ( that's each for more than one download, not combined)

Its like this:
    You - UPC - TIER 3 Provider -Tier 3 Provider-Sombody Else-Rapidgator
    or
    You - Eircom - TIER 3 Provider-Tier 3 Provider-Sombody Else-Rapidgator

Those first too don't have to be the same, so that can be the limitation. As such UPC dont throttle anything but they have had Youtube congestion/mischief issues.

Traffic routing across the internet is a pretty complex system, weird things can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ED E wrote: »
    Its like this:
    You - UPC - TIER 3 Provider -Tier 3 Provider-Sombody Else-Rapidgator
    or
    You - Eircom - TIER 3 Provider-Tier 3 Provider-Sombody Else-Rapidgator

Those first too don't have to be the same, so that can be the limitation. As such UPC dont throttle anything but they have had Youtube congestion/mischief issues.

Traffic routing across the internet is a pretty complex system, weird things can happen.

It's tier 1, not tier 3.

If what you say is the problem is right then should it be the same for everybody?

I can't help but feel if this was the problem then I would have heard about it before.

Spear wrote: »
    It's tier 1, not tier 3.

Doh, reversed the order in my head.

Try running it at a completely off peak time, see if there's a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

a google of the companys and slow speeds premium membership shows both have had speed troubles, maybe that could give u a answer if u google the same

dazdrog wrote: »
    a google of the companys and slow speeds premium membership shows both have had speed troubles, maybe that could give u a answer if u google the same

Doesn't really explain why it's slower than eircom

ED E wrote: »
    Doh, reversed the order in my head.

Try running it at a completely off peak time, see if there's a change.
    I tried it at 1 O'clock last night (this morning) and it was still the same

• Advertisement
Advertisement