Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily dinner in Dublin

Options
  • 04-10-2013 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I have been working in Dublin for the last three years and studying for four before that, and I still haven't figured out what to do for dinner. I can get breakfast in the canteen at work, same with lunch or can go for a sandwich somewhere, but what about dinner? I generally stay in work until at least 7 and usually 8 to avoid the peak hour loads on the train, so I get pretty hungry for the last while. When I get home it's too late to be making dinner, and I can't be bothered making anything, at most I have a bowl of cereal to tide me over.

So where do I go for an affordable, tasty, somewhat healthy dinner around 6-8 in the GCD area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Jesus if you havn't even got time to cook yourself a hot meal in the evenings you need to slow down a bit.

Eating out every evening is going to be exensive and ultimately unsatisfying and most likely unhealthy.

Why not take the time to cook something basic at home when you get home?

I mean it takes 3 minutes to fry a steak and you can cook a chilli con carne or something like that in about 20...just make sure you buy the ingredients on your days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

GCD, there's a little Italian restaurant on Hogan Place, just off Holles street called Di Bella that do the nicest pizzas! Yum! Steak ain't too bad either but generally I can't get pass their pizzas to order anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

chopper6 wrote: »
    Jesus if you havn't even got time to cook yourself a hot meal in the evenings you need to slow down a bit..
    I'm 45 years of age and haven't ever cooked a hot meal! I'm firmly in the "can't cook, won't cook" category. It's terrible I know, but if I'm hungry I either eat out or make a sandwich. The thoughts of having to wait for a meal to cook would drive me insane.

I'm 45 years of age and haven't ever cooked a hot meal! I'm firmly in the "can't cook, won't cook" category. It's terrible I know, but if I'm hungry I either eat out or make a sandwich. The thoughts of having to wait for a meal to cook would drive me insane.

Yeah but it actually doesnt take long to cook a meal when you think about it...i mean you'd spend at least as much time per day queuing up for takeaways or waiting for your order in a restaurant.

Learning to cook is actually quite a lot of fun..it actually becomes enjoyable to cook your own grub instead of paying somebody else to feed you.

Or.........meet somebody who likes cooking and tell them to move in.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

starry night....best chinese in dublin

milanos for pizza or di bello (never ate their)

ely for a burger and pint

hot chicken roll from fresh

schoolhouse has a restaurant but its a little walk...few more places that way

kanum for a thai

apache for pizza....

now......

• Advertisement

Yeah but it actually doesnt take long to cook a meal when you think about it...i mean you'd spend at least as much time per day queuing up for takeaways or waiting for your order in a restaurant
    OK - I see food as a fuel. I don't know if you drive but assuming you do lets suppose your vehicle needs refueling, I assume you would go to a filling station and expect to be refueled ASAP and move along. What if you were informed that you could examine the various properties of Shell, Esso, Topaz and decide which is best for your engine/driving style etc. I presume you wouldn't be interested.
    Learning to cook is actually quite a lot of fun..
    I can't see anything remotely fun about it. I have spent most of my life living in institutions where my meals where provided. I have absolutely no interest in changing that!

Or.........meet somebody who likes cooking and tell them to move
    I did - Mrs WA is a top notch cook!

I can't see anything remotely fun about it. I have spent most of my life living in institutions where my meals where provided.

You make it sound like you've spent the greater part of your life in a madhouse

I did - Mrs WA is a top notch cook!

...and landed on your feet!:D

You make it sound like you've spent the greater part of your life in a madhouse
    I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Is Gerry's still open on Montague Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't see the problem with anyone wanting to eat out every night if they don't want to cook. There's nothing crazy about it, some people just don't want the hassle/bother and some people really just don't have the time. It's not up to you to tell them to slow down if they haven't got time to cook, as long as they're not wasting your money spending it on the food they want it's not your problem.

I don't know have any suggestions for restaurants though because I don't get to eat out often :p

• Advertisement

I have!
    PM Sent!

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Is Gerry's still open on Montague Street?
    Yes it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

PM Sent!

to yourself? :P :pac:

I have!

*backs away slowly*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Follow this blog my good man http://eatforafiver.com/

The latest entry has a most appetizing picture of a beef stew for €4.50!! Life saver of a website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Yes it is. :)

Walked by yesterday and the place was lovely and busy. Long may it and Cafe Sofia prosper!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

There is a nice café in GCD along the quay near to Facebook offices. I forget the name of it but it is good. its past Herbstreet Spar etc..

Café Bar H does great tapas! Donnybrook fair is opening in GCD this month - I think with a restaurant in tow.

Also, beggars bush has a few good places and is only a 5 minute walk from GCD.

Food game, Juniors, Paulies Pizza, chophouse and Farmer browns are all really good. especially the pizza joints Juniors and Paulies. The Bath pub is supposed to do good food also.

Bit more expensive but the bridge bar and grill is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I know it's slightly off topic but consider a slowcooker? easy as hell to make food, honestly less than 10 mins prep and then come home to a lovely stew

reddit.com/r/slowcooking for recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Be wary of your weight if you're eating out every night. Seriously, even what can look like a very healthy dinner from a restaurant can end up being very heavy in the old calories due to sauces etc. in a way that doesn't happen cooking at home to the same extent. I had a phase where due to long hours I was eating out 5-6 times a week for my dinner for a few weeks, I ended up gaining about 14-15 pounds in a little over 2 months. It wasn't as if I was eating pizza/burgers etc. every night either-this included a lot of Thai and Indian food and some vegan and vegetarian.

Be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'll end up eating a huge amount of salt as well, as restaurants are invariably heavy on the salt in their dishes. If you're already eating breakfast and lunch in a canteen, it'll be even higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Govindas on Lower Baggot St? Lovely, vegetarian grub and very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Cheap and Cheerful lunch

A tin of fish (sardines/herring/mackrel) from Aldi/Lidl 79cents and a salad from superquinn €3

Advertisement