Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt Temple School, Malahide Rd

Options
  • 04-10-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm looking for a co-ed school/no uniform school for my daughter. Does anyone have any experience with, or comments on, Mt. Temple Comprehensive School on the Malahide Road? I will review league tables etc., but would also be interested in any personal reviews. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Two of my good friends went there. Both took a long time to make anything of themselves, they seem to have this really, really laid back outlook on life - that's not a bad thing at all, but they have no careers to speak of, and spent their 20s in dead-end jobs that they couldn't hold down because they weren't arsed turning up on time, or going in at all. Same with any further education they've been in. I certainly think their schooling had an influence on this.

Now, in their early 30s, one is a pretty successful musician in a fairly niche genre, but he's played Electric Picnic, Cork Jazz and other festivals like that on a regular basis for the last three years or so.

The other is also a pretty good musician, but not with the success of the other, but his band played my wedding, and he's in a few bands now that play around the city in pubs and weddings and other smaller events (for example, they've been booked to play in large pubs for football and rugby matches, that kind of thing).

Of course, the school is not totally to blame, there are the parents to consider, but I find it no co-incidence that out of about ten close mates of mine the two that went to Mount Temple are the least successful in a professional and personal sense (neither has anything like a long term relationship).

I really like the lads, they are so sound and relaxed, but their life is not for me.

:)

Also, on a lighter note, growing up around the Artane, Coolock, Clontarf, Donnycarney area, it was always noted that some Devil Worshipping went on in the grounds of Mount Temple, so I'd watch out for that too, just in case. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 feebie

Thanks BC, don't mind a laid back attitude personally, but would be interested in hearing any success stories too :)

Devil worshipping sounds interesting too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

feebie wrote: »
    Thanks BC, don't mind a laid back attitude personally, but would be interested in hearing any success stories too :)

Devil worshipping sounds interesting too ;)

If you don't consider being a successful musician being a success story, then don't send your kid to Mount Temple.

Sorry to belittle the success stories, successful musician would be great! My comment was more in response to the dead end jobs / couldn't be arsed going to work/college attitude you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

feebie wrote: »
    Sorry to belittle the success stories, successful musician would be great! My comment was more in response to the dead end jobs / couldn't be arsed going to work/college attitude you mentioned.

Several of my friends went to Mount Temple, and turned out the same as the poster above mentioned. Six of them - 2 dropped out, went back, repeated 5th year and failed their Leaving Certs. The other four barely scraped passes. One did a Level 5 course, and all six are unemployed, five of them have never had a job. All are mid-twenties. I am in the same age range. I went to a secondary school in Coolock with a rubbish reputation, but managed 500-odd points in my LC. A music teacher from Mount Temple joined our school in sixth year. By the time the mock exams came around, everybody was struggling, even previously high achieving students, because he was extremely laid back and just didn't teach enough. It ended up with myself and one other student teaching the curriculum to our classmates after school and on lunch.

Then again, Bono went to Mount
    Temple, so your kids could end up being musicians. I will say that the school seems very dedicated to performing arts, so if the kids are artistically inclined, they may do well there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Gosh, I'd hoped that Mt Temple had improved.

Four of my cousins went there in the 80s, and none of them did well in the LC.

They are all in their 40s now, one is a lorry driver and is at least employed. One other had various manual jobs like shelf stacking, but has been unemployed since 2003. The other two have always lived on state benefits.

But, again they went there over thirty years ago, and I would have hoped the standards would have improved since then.

Speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I went to Mt Temple for 4 years. Personally, I think you need to be very self motivated to do well academically. The quality of teaching wasn't there, along with a lack of drive and focus.

Its a great school, with a good ethos. Encouraging creativity, etc. its just not the strongest academically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elliance

I just want to note that many of the above posts are referring to MT in the 80's which I believe was a very different school than what it is now.

I graduated from MT about 5 years ago and I did considerably well on my degree. I went on to achieve a first in my science degree from TCD and have recently received my masters in Earth Sciences.

I thrived in MT, there is a laid back approach when compared to certain schools. However the teachers will do everything to help a child achieve what they want, whether that be to be an artist or a musician or to enter retail or to enter higher education.

The atmosphere in MT is unlike any other school, they really have a strong ethos and promote and encourage diversity. I think in any school you will find 'wasters' and 'stoners' and MT is no different. It may very well just be coincidental that the above posters friends' who went to MT ended up the way they did or it may have something to do with most attended many years ago. I believe the school is a different place now, with most of my year graduating and attending third level education thereafter.

I think you develop as your own person in MT and helps to to prepare for the real world, where not everyone is the same. Not everyone who attends MT is there to achieve academically but perhaps to achieve in other ways in life whether it be as a carpenter or a fashion designer.
    If you are concerned about academic achievement I can assure you that I and many of my friends have been successful. My brother also attended and is now a biomedical engineer, my cousin is doctorate candidate in UCD for history and archaeology.

MT do not force education down your throat but they certainly encourage it. I think most people leave MT and end up in a career they wanted, not in something they were effectively forced to do, which I believe is better. If you want to achieve good grades you can certainly do it however they understand that not everyone wants to or is capable of doing so. Yes you do need to be somewhat self motivated but the teachers are generally all very understanding and really want the best for the student. Teachers there tend to talk to you more as a colleague rather than someone above you.

My younger sister is still studying in MT and is in her final year and she loves the school too and is doing very well academically. As in any school some will achieve and others may not, but in MT those who don't are encouraged to find something else they are good at. People can fall into 'bad' crowds but that can happen in any school. I believe that for most, maybe not all, the laid back approach works as you make friends who are different to you and also you do not have nearly as much pressure as other kids do especially during the LC. I think this works as you achieve better with some pressure than mountains of it, which can lead you crack.

I recommend the school and if I had children I would send them there. I believe in encouraging teenagers in everything they do.

Sorry for the rant but just wanted to provide a more recent and perhaps positive view on MT, as speaking from my own experience. If you need anymore info. do contact me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

My post doesn't, my class graduated in 2007 ;)

Also, please use paragraphs, your post is very hard to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Elliance I am delighted to read your post.

As I said I had hoped the MT had changed from the 80s, and I have to admit I always thought the methodology used in MT to develop the 'whole person' sounded wonderful. There is more to school than points.

My cousins would have been more in the stoner camp than a more focused group, which was unfortunate as they all had, in my opinion, great potential.

Delighted to hear positive stories from Mt Temple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My friends graduated in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I didn't attend but it certainly has picked up a bad reputation academically. Similar to typical High Schools in Middle America. Takes a lot of drive and ambition to do well academically.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Possibly it's peoples friends who had the issue rather than the school itself? It's certainly not entirely academically driven being mixed sex, mixed religion etc. So a lot of parents send their children there to get a more inclusive education, meet people of different backgrounds, religions etc. in my opinion it wouldn't be ideal for a child whose parents weren't going to take a role in making sure they kept their academics up, however I know about 200+ people who went there in the 90s and 80% or so went to some kind of third level (of people who finished out their leaving) Which I would have thought was about the same or better then any other school nearby.

According g to Sunday times the top 20 schools in North Dublin currently are below, table didn't come across well so direct link
    http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/about-school-league-tables#nd
    mount temple is 12th.
    Belvedere College, Great Denmark St., Dublin 1
    B
    Castleknock College, Castleknock, Dublin 15
    B
    Holy Faith Secondary School, Clontarf, Dublin 3
    G
    St. Dominic's High School, Sutton, Dublin 13
    G
    Sutton Park School, Sutton, Dublin 13
    M
    Colaiste Cois Life, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    M
    Maryfield College, Drumcondra, Dublin 9
    G
    Dominican College, Drumcondra, Dublin 9
    G
    Ardscoil Ris, Griffith Ave, Dublin 9
    B
    Scoil Chaitriona, Glasnevin, Dublin 9
    M
    Castleknock Community College, Castleknock, Dublin 15
    M
    Mount Temple Comprehensive School, Clontarf, Dublin 3
    M
    Manor House, Raheny, Dublin 5
    G
    St. Fintan's High School, Sutton, Dublin 13
    B
    St. Joseph's College, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    G
    Gaelcholaiste Reachrann, Donaghmede, Dublin 13
    M
    Loreto Secondary School, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
    G
    Malahide Community School, Malahide, Co. Dublin
    M
    Loreto College, Swords, Co. Dublin
    G
    St. Dominic's College, Cabra, Dublin 7

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    My friends graduated in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

In those years here is how final year performed.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2008: 125. College places as follows:
    UCD 9 , DCU 23 , TCD 17 , NUIG 1 , NUIM 6 , DIT 11 , Blanchardstown 2 , Carlow IT 3 , Dun Laoire 4 , Dundalk 3 , Galway Mayo 1 , LIT 1 , Tralee 1 , Tallaght 1 , Waterford 1 ,

Total sitting Leaving Cert 2007: 135. College places as follows:
    UCD 9 , DCU 24 , TCD 10 , UCC 1 , NUIM 6 , DIT 19 , Blanchardstown 2 , Dun Laoire 4 , Dundalk 2 , Galway Mayo 1 , Tallaght 1 , Total of main colleges 79.

Total sitting Leaving Cert 2006: 145. College places as follows:
    UCD 15 , DCU 17 , NUIM 5 , DIT 23 , Blanchardstown 3 , Dun Laoire 4 , Dundalk 1 , Tallaght 1 , Waterford 1 , Total of main colleges ?.

Figures for trinity for 2006 missing.

So for instance in 2008, out of 125 people, 50 went to UCD, TCD or DCU alone, and 95 out of 125 went to 3rd level.

It would appear unusual to to be in the 30 that don't rather than the norm. This seems pretty good for a inclusive school than doesn't concentrate totally on academics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

copacetic wrote: »
    This seems pretty good for a inclusive school than doesn't concentrate totally on academics.

One of the HUGE plusses I would see for Mount Temple is their inclusive admissions policy. They will take children with special needs unlike many others on that list who 'advise' their parents that such children would be better off going elsewhere.

After that, it's like almost any other school. Some do well, some don't. There is no school in ireland where every single student gets to do what they want to in college/life. The biggest influence on how a child will do in education is the home.

Thanks to all for your input, and for taking the time to post league table info etc. I was happy to read some positive reports for MT and, despite some of the less successful stories shared above, I do believe MT is a good choice for our family. We like their inclusive admissions policy, plus their approach to self directed learning rather than "teaching to the test".

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sandra.c

Can I just say that Mt Temple is a fantastic school, they put a big emphasis on learning, 2 of my children are there now and I was there in late 70's, early 80's. Several of my classmates are in high end jobs, 2 are vets, I know of doctors, people in the financial sector, actors, musicians (including U2), all I would consider very successful. I was happy enough to do a secretarial course and had a good career as a medical secretary. My sister has 2 degrees from Trinity college, and was a financial director of a company.

Interesting to see the league tables now, Manor House is now below MT temple in the league tables, back in my day a lot of my friends went to Manor House and most of their parents turned their noses up at Mt Temple. Personally I'm not into league tables. I know the parents of a girl who is in leaving cert year now, who got 10 A's in her Junior Cert, so it cant all be bad.

There are also very progressive and inclusive, and so helpful with one of my kids who needs a bit of learning support, even though he has no formal diagnosis. They don't talk ****e to the kids, and don't have any 'nonense' rules, but do have discipline, no uniform but a dress code, no tracksuits, short tops etc, but they do encourage kids to be themselves.
    There is a huge waiting list though, and every year they are very over subscribed, so even if you are in a feeder school you are not guaranteed to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizzyno

I've recently been speaking with a good friend of mine whose house backs onto the school. There have been Mount Temple kids smoking joints of some short in a laneway near her. She reported this to the school whose response was its out of school grounds so nothing we can do about it. I appreciate that its out of school grounds and obviously this goes on everywhere. However, I was very concerned at the attitude they took.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

lizzyno wrote: »
    I've recently been speaking with a good friend of mine whose house backs onto the school. There have been Mount Temple kids smoking joints of some short in a laneway near her. She reported this to the school whose response was its out of school grounds so nothing we can do about it. I appreciate that its out of school grounds and obviously this goes on everywhere. However, I was very concerned at the attitude they took.

How does she know they are MT students. They don't wear a uniform so there is no way to identify them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I found it to be an excellent school. I like the relaxed attitude and reasonable approach shown by (most!) teachers. There's still an expectation that work gets done but the teachers are more likely to converse with and listen to students. I'm surprised people saying they see a lot of 'wasters' coming out of Mount Temple, certainly most people I know did very well for themselves, and while I wouldn't rely solely on those League tables, they seem to back that up.
    Oh and I was there til 2001,so a while ago actually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I went to MT in the 90s. Great school. Produces actual humans instead of robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

Mount Temple is very hard to get a place in unless you are in the top 2 categories. That alone should tell you that it's highly regarded.
    The education is there but as the motto is 'all different, all equal' there are children from all walks of life and all academic abilities in attendance.

There are VERY high achievers, there are usually one or two past pupils a year who are awarded Schols in Trinity and many go on to be doctors, dentists, scientists etc. BUT MT in not all about points and exams results - it provides students with the opportunity to think for themselves and to be in a position to contribute to the society that they are growing up in so that they can shape it accordingly. A counsillor appointed in the recent local elections is a past pupil. If you want your child to be able to think for themselves then this is possibly a school for them. If you want them just to do what they're told and not to question why - then it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scooter1

Hi,

We're thinking of sending our kids to Mount Temple School. It was good to read that last positive review from that past pupil. If anyone else has anymore feedback please post!

In addition to this I was wondering what anyone has heard about the school's future building plans. It is apparently to undergo a major refurb bringing it to state of the art. While this is all great news, I also heard that there are plans to merge the school with 3-4 other schools, bringing the student numbers up to thousands. This is obviously not such great news. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I wasn't offered admission after sitting an aptitude test for them. I was musically inclined so my folks wanted to send me there but I think it was down to the fact I was a baptised Catholic that I wasn't admitted. Do they have a policy on that?

scooter1 wrote: »
    Hi,

We're thinking of sending our kids to Mount Temple School. It was good to read that last positive review from that past pupil. If anyone else has anymore feedback please post!

In addition to this I was wondering what anyone has heard about the school's future building plans. It is apparently to undergo a major refurb bringing it to state of the art. While this is all great news, I also heard that there are plans to merge the school with 3-4 other schools, bringing the student numbers up to thousands. This is obviously not such great news. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

There is a big rebuild in the pipeline, plans are drawn up, every year its set to go ahead, then delayed for some reason or another. No plans for merging with any other schools, cant see that happening at all, there's no other similar school on the north side. There are 15 feeder schools though. And this does not guarantee you entry, each year they get 3 times the number of applications that they can take, way oversubscribed. Children who are Protestants get priority, then siblings, then feeder schools. even though protestants get priority, there are more Catholics in the school than protestants, and religion doesn't play a big part, if that makes any difference to you.

Dr Crayfish, you wouldn't be refused because you are Catholic. Its just that Protestants are given priority but there are kids of all religions in the school, in fact there are more Catholics than Protestants. Its a bit strange that you say you did the aptitude test and were then refused, as all offers of places go out in October - then if you accept and pay a deposit of €100 (which comes of the voluntary fees) you do the aptitude test in the February. So nobody does the test if they haven't accepted a place. I know this as I have 3 kids in the school (one in 1st year). If you don't accept the place and pay the deposit you don't get called for the test. If people drop out after they've paid the deposit kids who are next on the waiting list are offered a place. This is a fact, you only get called for the aptitude test if you've accepted a place, maybe it was a long time ago and has changed since then?

I wasn't offered admission after sitting an aptitude test for them. I was musically inclined so my folks wanted to send me there but I think it was down to the fact I was a baptised Catholic that I wasn't admitted. Do they have a policy on that?

You only get called for the test if you were offered and accepted a place, if not there'd be thousands sitting the aptitude test, as there are thousands of applications every year. And there are more Catholics in the school, than any other religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Sandra.c wrote: »
    Dr Crayfish, you wouldn't be refused because you are Catholic. Its just that Protestants are given priority but there are kids of all religions in the school, in fact there are more Catholics than Protestants. Its a bit strange that you say you did the aptitude test and were then refused, as all offers of places go out in October - then if you accept and pay a deposit of €100 (which comes of the voluntary fees) you do the aptitude test in the February. So nobody does the test if they haven't accepted a place. I know this as I have 3 kids in the school (one in 1st year). If you don't accept the place and pay the deposit you don't get called for the test. If people drop out after they've paid the deposit kids who are next on the waiting list are offered a place. This is a fact, you only get called for the aptitude test if you've accepted a place, maybe it was a long time ago and has changed since then?

Yeah it was about 25 years ago, so I'm not sure what has happened since. I definitely did a test though, I remember being in the school. Unless my folks lied to me and told me I wasn't accepted or something! What a shame, because I went to a Catholic boys school I didn't talk to a real woman till I was about 21 lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On the big school issue - numbers of over a thousand would allow a school to employ the teachers to provide the full range of subjects at all levels, something very few schools can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I know quite a few people, including my other half who attended MT and they are all doing well for themselves and speak highly of their time there. When the time comes my children will also be, hopefully, attending as it sounds like the kind of environment I missed out on by going to a large Catholic boys school.

Advertisement