Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-icer - Homemade Pond de-icer system

• 05-10-2013 12:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28

Hello members,

I took my pump and removed the pipe that leads to the waterfall. Then place the pump in the deepest area of the pond at a height where the jet could form a dome that protects water ice formation on a portion of the pond.

The thermometer can show -25 F here... to save my fish...

I build a homemade de-icer:

My de-icer system building pictures

water-garden-de-icer.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 smartgardener

Installation is ok for this year!

I'm prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

What sort of fish? How deep is the pond?

My pond has frozen and snowed over in the past with no ill effects to the goldfish underneath

I'd be more concerned about ice expanding and damaging the liner than the fish surviving to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

If thats your garden in Quebec, I'm not surprised you need something, but weather is NEVER that severe in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭blackbox

In the severe winter of 2010 I lost nearly all of my collection of koi due to the pond being covered in ice and snow for an extended period of 2 weeks+. I guess it was the lack of oxygen or build up of toxins that killed them. Some of these were very big (40cm).
    picture.php?pictureid=8308&albumid=509&dl=1293741782&thumb=1

Previously, having it frozen for a couple of days had never done them any harm.

Butyl liner was unharmed

I'd be concerned about running a pump during the winter as it will break up the natural layering effect that results in their being warmer water at the bottom. This occurs when the surface temperature is less than 4 deg C. i.e. while the turbulence may stop icing, it will reduce the temperature of the deep part of the pond. A purpose designed heater may be a better option.

Advertisement