Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students denied access to the library over late fees

Options
  • 05-10-2013 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

It's the time of year again where students who don't pay their fees on time are being denied access to the library. I know those people can be categorized as cant pay or wont pay and the latter I have zero time for but I can't abide by denying access to those who can't pay.

I'm lucky in that I am doing a PhD and don't have that problem but I know some undergraduates living in dire poverty who have been cut out of the library for basically being born into a poor family. With this in mind does anyone know if the student union have a position on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This probably won't answer your question, but here goes.

The students' union have an official policy that students should have to pay a contribution to go to college. This was created by the preferendum held two years ago on the subject. This means that students do support the status quo.

Last year the education officer did do some serious work to allow those who were still waiting on the much delayed "SUSI" grants to get library access despite having not had their fees paid. I'm sure if your friends are just waiting for SUSI the SU can help them.

I presume an undergraduate friends you have living dire poverty qualify for the grant right?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

errlloyd wrote: »
    I presume an undergraduate friends you have living dire poverty qualify for the grant right?
    I'd wonder if the grant depended on their parents, who may or may not be supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I won't be getting the grant until January as I'm 10 credits short to being qualified as a third year student officialy.

So in the meantime I have no recourse.. have the U-cards been cancelled now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My friends qualify for the top up grant which is designated for those unlucky enough to be born into poverty. It's just that they haven't received the grant yet but they have a letter saying they are approved.

Are they with SUSI or their local council?

Considering the shamolic way in which SUSI has undertaken its business, it makes the decision to restrict acces to college students so early into the semester as unfair and autocratic.

• Advertisement

I won't be getting the grant until January as I'm 10 credits short to being qualified as a third year student officialy.

I'm very sorry to hear it. Could you make a welfare fund application and use it to pay to get into the library? Cutting people off the library simply isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm lucky in that I am doing a PhD and don't have that problem but I know some undergraduates living in dire poverty who have been cut out of the library for basically being born into a poor family. With this in mind does anyone know if the student union have a position on this?
    How does being born into a poor family prevent you from returning books on time?

Are they with SUSI or their local council?

Considering the shamolic way in which SUSI has undertaken its business, it makes the decision to restrict acces to college students so early into the semester as unfair and autocratic.

To be honest my friends will be OK as they are lucky and have secured small jobs to help them pay fees. What bothers me is that a lot of students haven't got the funds and are being denied entry to the library. I was wondering what the student union are doing to combat this since it's their job to represent students.

Seifer wrote: »
    How does being born into a poor family prevent you from returning books on time?

It doesn't. I haven't a clue what you're implying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Ah you're talking about tuition fees and not library fees. Nevermind, carry on.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to hear it. Could you make a welfare fund application and use it to pay to get into the library? Cutting people off the library simply isn't acceptable.

I don't know, because as far as I'm aware the welfare fund would only be €150, whereas what registration is looking for is €905; I can't say I was ever particularly fond of registration or how it handled itself, but this has excaberated my dislike of them, with the only correspondence possible on the matter being an automatic e-mail informing students of u-card de-activation from 30th September onwards should the third of contribs not be paid.

I don't know, because as far as I'm aware the welfare fund would only be €150, whereas what registration is looking for is €905; I can't say I was ever particularly fond of registration or how it handled itself, but this has excaberated my dislike of them, with the only correspondence possible on the matter being an automatic e-mail informing students of u-card de-activation from 30th September onwards should the third of contribs not be paid.

I would go to the education officer and get him to send an email on your behalf to registration. Some or more amicable than they let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So you've failed 6 subjects in 2 years? Could be differing circumstances of course but that's how I'm getting 10 credits short.

AdamD wrote: »
    So you've failed 6 subjects in 2 years? Could be differing circumstances of course but that's how I'm getting 10 credits short.

And?

AdamD wrote: »

Yeah, your assumption is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the grant depended on their parents, who may or may not be supporting them.

It entirely depends on the parents I believe. Knew a lad who's father was minted but technically separated from the family. Meant he could not get a grant as the fathers tax bill had him over the threshold for qualification. At least that was my understanding of it.

Advertisement