Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation for trainers that WONT fall apart!

• 05-10-2013 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a pair of trainers/runners that wont fall apart in a minute :D
    Since Christmas I have gone through 1 pair of climacool(sole wore down really quickly), 1 pair of Reebok Easytone(one of the bubbles "popped") and 1 pair Nike Air(think the air went out as became uncomfortable).

Now, before people think I'm eating these shoes :o
    I walk/jog sometimes 3 times per day on rough country roads for anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour at a time so could be using these shoes for up to 3 hours per day(this is the extreme end tbf).
    Walking/hiking shoes not an option as I can't jog in them.

All opinions greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Smidge wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a pair of trainers/runners that wont fall apart in a minute :D
    Since Christmas I have gone through 1 pair of climacool(sole wore down really quickly), 1 pair of Reebok Easytone(one of the bubbles "popped") and 1 pair Nike Air(think the air went out as became uncomfortable).

I walk/jog sometimes 3 times per day on rough country roads for anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour at a time so could be using these shoes for up to 3 hours per day(this is the extreme end tbf).

Trail running shoes maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

LaHaine wrote: »
    Trail running shoes maybe?

Have you used any?
    Are they any use?

Also, I'm mostly speed walking with bouts of jogging in between

Just had a quick google, I see Merrill is a brand that I recognise(wouldn't rate them too much) but lots of brand names I dont recognise(US website).
    Some look quite snazzy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I've two decent pairs of Asics that I have about a year now both still in great condition one pair have been through Hell & Back twice with me and still in perfect condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ive used Asics trail running trainers, on trails - I just replaced a pair last week, not because they looked worn in the slightest but because its recommended to replace every 500 miles or so. They looked fine - but they probably had lost support over 500 miles as my feet were getting a bit achey after a run in the past couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I've had my pair of vivo barefoots for ten months of daily wear still in perfect nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭awesomelakes

I'm a fan of minimalist shoes, right now I have two pairs of Vibrams Merrell Barefoot. Pretty decent, and quite durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

asics20.jpg
    I currently have these Asics, got them in July, they are incredibly comfortable. The brooks I mentioned below were comfortable but these are on another level. Bit early to tell how they will hold but no signs of any wear or tear so far.

Brooks GTS. They lasted me for around 2 and a half years, they were used week in week out as well so got great use out of them
    large-gts%20adrenaline.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've always use Asics & they have never failed me! The main Asics I used months ago when I last trained were a pair of Asics HyperGirl - super lightweight; with spikes to aid my jogging on mountain-terraine; ideal for sprinting (if you like to set yourself some targets sprinting); comfy and breathable.
    Cannot wait to get able to get these trainers back on and get back out there running (lumbar injury at present).

Just my tuppence at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Asics

Wow, Asics really getting the vote!

Thanks for the feedback folks, will check them out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Can I jump in here?

I've a dodgy knee and the Physio recommended asics trainers. I got a great pair. I wear them every day for every wear.

I've started training in the gym now and they're looking a bit scruffy now - had them since January and training in gym (weights only) for about 6 weeks now.

Anyway I figure two new pairs should be good - one for gym and one for the rest of the time.

I want ones to help my knee but some shops have them at 140€ a pair.

Are they worth it?
    Which ones do you recommend (I don't really trust the genuineness of some sales staff who seem to be pushing the most expensive ones)?
    And can you recommend any online sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

December, what size are you?

Generally speaking I'm a ladies 4 but in Asics the ladies 4 crushes my foot box, I even ended up at a podiatrist over it. So I buy the kids 4.5, and not only is the size perfect but they're a lot cheaper. And they've nicer colours. Got a new pair just last week for 50 euro. They always try to give me the spiel in the shop about how the kids sizes are not designed for an adult female, and how they will wear faster - they must think customers are thick, unless kids sizes are also measured by weight it doesn't make any sense. Plus kids are usually harder on trainers!

Anyway, I've been happily doing 500 miles per pair for my last 3 kids pairs, whereas my only ladies pair ever was thrown to one side in no time because they caused pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm a size 8 (shoe, not body - YET!;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're training weight's only in the gym, a pair of cons are a better option. Save the asics for the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Solomen speedcross are really good I find.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/speedcross-3-cs.html

Solomen speedcross are really good I find.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/speedcross-3-cs.html

The problem I had with the Climacool was that my feet were getting totally soaked and then freezing.
    In fairness, I'm not running that much(just the odd burst of jogging in between walking pretty sharpish):o
    Found them very comfortable but were utterly destroyed by the hideous back roads :D

The salomen look pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Smidge wrote: »
    Hi all,

If you're doing up to 3 hours per day and you've managed this far on 3 pairs of trainers then I'd say that you're doing pretty well (particularly if you're heavy). In terms of distance traveled if you're doing 10 - 15 miles per day then you're looking at 70 - 100 miles per week. We're in October and you've gone through 3 pairs which would mean that you're probably getting the guts of a 1000 miles per pair which really isn't that bad.

Advertisement