Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 years of past travel history for permanent residency

Options
  • 05-10-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

hi all im applying for my permanent residency in canada, and one of the questions is travel history for the past ten years, now ive lost my passport more times then i can remember, so checking for stamps on my passport is a no go. ive been to plenty of countries over these years and cant remember the dates/months, and even years of some of them. is there anywhere i can find out my past travel history to where i travelled so i can put the last piece of this jig saw together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You sure its not just where you lived for the past 10 years ?

I've never heard of you having to provide travel movements for 10 years.

BTW if you lost the passport then the Entry stamps are pretty much gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

now ive lost my passport more times then i can remember

Really?

I wouldnt tell the Canadians that.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

Well I was in oz and did a fair amount of travelling so it got lost a few times.

Yup you sure do any travel history must be proven,
    Now I did ring immigration here and asked about it. And they said if you don't have the stamps on your passport,
    Another way to prove you were there Is with receipts or boarding passes of these country's.
    Which is a bit mad cause I'm not a collector of either.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

are you sure you must proove the travels?

for instance heres the application notes for the tradesman permanent visa and it mentions listing 10years travel but no mention of prooving it
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5747ETOC.asp

Surely through photos, facebook, emails, postcards to your family you could piece the main parts of the puzzle together and simply list the year and month (maybe also stay duration) rather than 100% accurate dates.
    You could also go over old bank statements/ credit card bills for transactions abroad, but I presume if you are absent minded enough to be constantly loosing something as critically important to someone living abroad as a passport then "unimportant" stuff like bank statements are long gone.

You could also go over old bank statements/ credit card bills for transactions abroad, but I presume if you are absent minded enough to be constantly loosing something as critically important to someone living abroad as a passport then "unimportant" stuff like bank statements are long gone.[/quote]

Ouch didn't need that and comments like that don't help my situation at all buddy.
    I don't know one person who had bank statements kept from 10 years ago. Do you?
    We all lose things in out life, car keys, house keys wallets, passports. It's only natural, so dose this mean the while population is absent minded. Except one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ouch didn't need that and comments like that don't help my situation at all buddy.
    I don't know one person who had bank statements kept from 10 years ago. Do you?
    We all lose things in out life, car keys, house keys wallets, passports. It's only natural, so dose this mean the while population is absent minded. Except one??
    ok, maybe my comments were a little sweeping and personal and for that I do appologise, but anyone I know who has a habit of loosing passports and other important stuff wouldn't be the type of person to diligently file away bank statements.
    I have all my bank statements for all my (10 or so?) accounts for at least the past 13 years and aside from getting robed once (in a coma asleep) never lost keys, passports etc. - at least not proper lost, just misplaced somewhere in the apartment and they turn up after a few days.

I still think you can use associations and whatnot to figure what you were at roughly in what year and what month, and if you jot all down then you can fill around what you do know.
    For instance, I was trying to figure when I came to Germany first and by figuring when the end of the bundesliga was (which Bayern won in the most bizare of circumstances so is memorable) and the all spanish champions league final - both in May 2000 - I was able to work it out to the day when I landed without having to find ticket stubs or anything.

ok, maybe my comments were a little sweeping and personal and for that I do appologise, but anyone I know who has a habit of loosing passports and other important stuff wouldn't be the type of person to diligently file away bank statements.
    I have all my bank statements for all my (10 or so?) accounts for at least the past 13 years and aside from getting robed once (in a coma asleep) never lost keys, passports etc. - at least not proper lost.

I still think you can use associations and whatnot to figure what you were at roughly in what year and what month, and if you jot all down then you can fill around what you do know.
    For instance, I was trying to figure when I came to Germany first and by figuring when the end of the bundesliga was (which Bayern won in the most bizare of circumstances so is memorable) and the all spanish champions league final - both in May 2000 - I was able to work it out to the day when I landed without having to find ticket stubs or anything.

appreciated! i understand your logic to narrowing it down and i can do that with some holidays but not all of them.
    while travelling to places like the canaries spain, they do not seem to stamp the passport maybe because its in the european union. not sure. but went there twice, with not one stamp on my passport.
    the only way i might be able to get the dates is ask the person i went with, which is of course my EX, the reason we broke up is because i wanted to come here to canada and she didnt. now to ask her for these dates because i want to stay here permanetly is not going to go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Once you can account for any travel to & from Canada & the US you should be OK. As regards European travel, once you have no arrest records, spent convictions or outstanding warrants you should have nothing to worry about. What they are really looking for is countries that you have lived in for longer periods even though they ask for details of all travel. For periods of months or yeras you'd remember anyway & you'd also have tax records etc. The only reason they'd want to know about a long weekend in Amsterdam is if you were arrested during your stay. The same goes for two weeks in the Canaries. Just give details to the best of your knowledge & if that involves a bit of guesswork then so be it. It's not a crime to lose your passport & there's no law that states you have to keep your cancelled/expired ones either. Just put in dates that sound realistic to you. If anything at all is going to/could even be checked for your European holidays it would be criminal records not flight lists/entry-exit records.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well I was in oz and did a fair amount of travelling so it got lost a few times.

Yup you sure do any travel history must be proven,
    Now I did ring immigration here and asked about it. And they said if you don't have the stamps on your passport,
    Another way to prove you were there Is with receipts or boarding passes of these country's.
    Which is a bit mad cause I'm not a collector of either.

Any ideas?

Your passport isn't stamped when you travel in the EU at all.

You don't even need a passport at border control in the Schengen zone, just show your boarding pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

I had to do this for applying for PR in Canada too and I looked through all my old emails ie I searched for Ryanair tickets etc. This helped with my movements through the EU and I was able to come up with a lot of my flights. I did luckily have my old passports for the other stamps. I queried this with the CIC about the EU and they said to just do your best. I think its more important that they know the countries than the actual dates.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement

spot on ms. ka and cushie butterfield, ive a good understanding of how it works now, i was looking for exact dates. i can def be able to get the month and i have a good idea when i was there, always left on a weekend to spent it over. thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

I have all my bank statements for all my (10 or so?) accounts for at least the past 13 years and aside from getting robed once (in a coma asleep) never lost keys, passports etc. - at least not proper lost, just misplaced somewhere in the apartment and they turn up after a few days.

Sorry, does that mean you spend all your time in the nip. I've nothing else to contribute

Advertisement