Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps vita or nintendo 3DS

Options
  • 05-10-2013 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

im stuck between getting a ps vita or nintendo 3ds, which one has the best selection of games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

If you have the playstation plus get the vita as you will have a stream of free games each month.
    For the 3ds only a handful of good games are out there. Make sure if you get a 3ds to go for the xl model.
    I would personally yo for the vita as with the ps plus you get loads of free games and will hook up with the ps4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From Playstation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go with the 3DS. Vita is a lovely machine but just doesn't have the library of games. The 3DS is well on it's way to being one of the best games consoles of all time with an amazing library of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness bouth got their strong points.

If you plan on getting PS4, then I would go 100% with vita. Few reasons: you can play ps4 games on vita by streaming, you will have a ps+, which means a ton of free games, its a lovely piece of hardware and we finally see some games for it. Killzone mercenaries is just fantastic game if you are looking for a good competitive fps.

Saying that 3DS is a great machine on its own. If you are getting 3ds, then get XL one as it is a lot better machine. 3DS got some very good games out already and it looks like we are getting even more.

Another thing I could recomend to you: go and check all the games on each system. No point buying a system you like, but prefer games on other system.

F1ngers wrote: »
    From Playstation.

He he only got the vita recently and 3ds since RE revelations. Remember with the vita also that you have to delete games as the memory cards are expensive.
    The new models will not have the same quality screen.
    If you don't like 3d the 2ds is coming out and be cheaper but unsure on how it handles.
    I second looking up walkthrough for games you think you like online .

Still in honeymoon period with vita.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

personally go for the 3DS as much as i love my vita 3ds library is unmatched.

just wait and see if sony brings out the vita tv ti the west and pick that up , you be able to play ps vita games on your tv then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    If you have the playstation plus get the vita as you will have a stream of free games each month.
    For the 3ds only a handful of good games are out there. Make sure if you get a 3ds to go for the xl model.
    I would personally yo for the vita as with the ps plus you get loads of free games and will hook up with the ps4

:confused:

If you want to hook up your vita to the PS4 get a Vita but if you want a handheld with a strong software library get a 3DS its already got a much stronger line up & the DS backwards compatibility is the icing on the cake. Nintendo tend to put a bit more effort into their 1st party games too whereas the Vita is suffering with shoddy ports(COD, FIFA, Resistance) but has a decent indie line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    For the 3ds only a handful of good games are out there.

Madness.

Sorry folks in my opinion only a handful of good games came out. It be better to tell the op the great games to help him decide.
    The like of donkey kong for me was only ok and short for 35 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, animal crossing, resident evil revelations, kid icarus (not a personal favourite), monster hunter 3, bit trip Saga, metal gear solid snake Eater, doa dimensions, Mariokart, super Mario 3d Land, Tokyo crash mobs, aeroporter, crimson shroud, nintendogs & cats, the Ocarina of Time and Starfox, remakes, pushblox, fallblox, mighty switch force, Denpa men.... And the new pokémon looks great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I love my Vita. I have a huge collection of games for it. I love the media and PS+ features. I will be getting a PS4 so it will become even more useful.

However, it suits me but that doesn't necessarily mean it will suit you. Look at the respective game libraries, features and hardware specs, then make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They're both great systems with completely different kinds of game cataloges. IMO, 3ds for now though, just because there are more great games. The vita will really start to shine next year, bye there's been a massive game slump for it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

thanks all i think i will go for the 3DS as i like the mario, pokemon, rayman, skylanders series of games

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

3DS if you don't have PS+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It could just be talk, but haven't sony shown a lot more commitment to the vita as of late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sarumite wrote: »
    It could just be talk, but haven't sony shown a lot more commitment to the vita as of late.

Yes but only Sony. On the other hand you have the 3DS with support from Nintendo and countless third parties.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes but only Sony. On the other hand you have the 3DS with support from Nintendo and countless third parties.

I imagine Sony are throwing money at Indie devs to port games onto it. Whereas Nintendo are chugging first party games out and raking up most of the japanese 3rd party titles.

Let's not forget it took a while for the 3DS to really take off. Obviously it's taking the Vita longer, but speaking to Sony at the Vita launch they did make it fairly clear it was launched with the next gen in mind, so I'd be interested in seeing how the land lies in 18 months time for the system

GTR63 wrote: »
    I imagine Sony are throwing money at Indie devs to port games onto it

I don't think it's a money thing, they're just incredibly welcoming and helpful to indies by all accounts. They give them all the tools and support they need to get their games onto their systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Vita still isn't worth even with PS+ 3DS all the way,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have both and bein honest, the 3ds xl beats the pants off the vita.

I like them both but if you only want to play back catalogue games and very few new games go with the vita. The 3ds in terms of games has much more debt and worth it .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

COYVB wrote: »
    I don't think it's a money thing, they're just incredibly welcoming and helpful to indies by all accounts. They give them all the tools and support they need to get their games onto their systems

I've have both a pspgo and a vita I was an early adopter of both, it makes sense why they are welcoming because nobody is developing for their systems.

Sony really need to sort their **** out when it comes to their hand helds the tech is brilliant and ts such a shame they haven't got much better on it

COYVB wrote: »

I'd imagine they throw the cash as I doubt many made huge money from a Vita release. After Tearaway I can't think of much on the system & I doubt i'd get much use from the PS4 compatability if its only going to be playing a PS4 game 10 feet away from a PS4. I have my own tv so I don't have any problem if someone wanted to watch a match or that.

Tbh guys sony have made it pretty clear vitas fate with what they are offering.

I would not be surprised if vita only has a 3 year lifecycle.

The fact of the matter is sony does not know to do with the vita, offering cross play or borderlands 2 is not a selling point and wont move systems.

Indies have treated the vita as it ps home but again that is not going to save the vita.

I love my vita , the fact i can classic ps1 titles and psp games on it that look glorious is awesome but i know vita future is not going to be saved in its current state

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you like RPGs op?if you do get yourself a 3ds.I'm a vita man myself but I'd love a 3ds for to play some of the RPG titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd go with the 3DS. Vita is a lovely machine but just doesn't have the library of games. The 3DS is well on it's way to being one of the best games consoles of all time with an amazing library of games.

This is probably fair. The Vita blows the 3DS away in terms of hardware, but the complete opposite is true in terms of software.

As others have said, you need to consider:

Are you getting a PS4 and do you have/are getting PS+?
    Are you interested in the back catalogue of PSOne games?

If the answer to those is no then you're probably better off with the 3DS. If the answer is yes I think there's a strong case for the Vita.

Banjo wrote: »
    Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, animal crossing, resident evil revelations, kid icarus (not a personal favourite), monster hunter 3, bit trip Saga, metal gear solid snake Eater, doa dimensions, Mariokart, super Mario 3d Land, Tokyo crash mobs, aeroporter, crimson shroud, nintendogs & cats, the Ocarina of Time and Starfox, remakes, pushblox, fallblox, mighty switch force, Denpa men.... And the new pokémon looks great

aww where is the kid icarus love :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

We have 2 3DS here, the kids got them last year for Christmas. I've played on them a bit here and there, but tbh, I think it's more aimed at kids. The "3D" gets turned off 99% of the time and most of the games are cartoonish affairs. I can't see me playing a serious game on there. It's more a pick up and play for an hour type device. When I had the psp I would play a lot longer and the games were better. I can only imaging the Vita being another step up from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Tbh guys sony have made it pretty clear vitas fate with what they are offering.

I would not be surprised if vita only has a 3 year lifecycle.

The fact of the matter is sony does not know to do with the vita, offering cross play or borderlands 2 is not a selling point and wont move systems.

Indies have treated the vita as it ps home but again that is not going to save the vita.

I love my vita , the fact i can classic ps1 titles and psp games on it that look glorious is awesome but i know vita future is not going to be saved in its current state

I cant agree with this at all m8. If what, PS Vita will only get life when ps4 finally hits the market. Hardware wise PS vita is miles ahead of anything in the market. It is not going to get outdates in one year, so it is not going anywhere.
    All Sony needs is just 1-2 killer games to start ball rolling and it will be same as 3ds sales wise. Have you played Killzone Mercenary? That game is just amazing and a technical achievement on a handheld. We need more such games. We need ps vita TV out too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most of the games are cartoonish affairs.

I think you'll find most of the 'cartoonish' games are much more serious and mature than half the nonsense that passes for serious and mature these days.

The 3DS cannot realistically manage gritty, realistic artstyles to compete with the AAAs, and that's for the best. Games like Attack of the Friday Monsters, Fire Emblem and Virtue's Last Reward offer more thematically complex, intelligent and engaging writing than any number of grim, miserable first person shooters, with the gameplay to match.

Advertisement