Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps vita or nintendo 3DS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I cant agree with this at all m8. If what, PS Vita will only get life when ps4 finally hits the market. Hardware wise PS vita is miles ahead of anything in the market. It is not going to get outdates in one year, so it is not going anywhere.
    All Sony needs is just 1-2 killer games to start ball rolling and it will be same as 3ds sales wise. Have you played Killzone Mercenary? That game is just amazing and a technical achievement on a handheld. We need more such games. We need ps vita TV out too.

Killzone may be a technical achievement on the vita but as close to console like experiences you can push the vita does not mean jack.

If sony were smart they would of signed up and done a deal like nintendo did with capcom with monster hunter or atlus with the shin megami tensei series.

Sony yoshida has already come out and stated that they will bring games to moble market and of couse vita tv further proves my point thats vita is dead at this current time. Can things change of course but bringing console games to it or cross play with ps4 means jack and to me i rather see new experiences on the vita to take advantage of its features than just been console like experiences on the go.

edit: As bulky and ugly as the nintendo 2ds is its price point and coming out the same week as pokemon x and y no one is gong to want to own a vita i am sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I cant agree with this at all m8. If what, PS Vita will only get life when ps4 finally hits the market. Hardware wise PS vita is miles ahead of anything in the market. It is not going to get outdates in one year, so it is not going anywhere.
    All Sony needs is just 1-2 killer games to start ball rolling and it will be same as 3ds sales wise. Have you played Killzone Mercenary? That game is just amazing and a technical achievement on a handheld. We need more such games. We need ps vita TV out too.

What does it need?
    One minute its the PS4, the next its 1 or 2 games then a Vita TV. The PS4 argument to me seems to suggest they made a handheld without a clue how to back it up with software. Vita TV is just a budget home console really oddly enough releasing in the market that handhelds thrive in. The game argument doesn`t hold up as Nintendo are constantly releasing new titles since they got the ball rolling after releasing Mario Kart & 3D Land & Sony have released an Assassins Creed, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone & an Uncharted game. I have both & I already have four times as many 3DS games & I have a load I didn`t get yet either. After Tearaway is released what is there. Oh I can play something like Assassins Creed IV on my Vita, Nah i`d rather play it on my TV with a controller like it was meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

they had a couple of great games on the PSP but ****ed it up by cannibalizing home console titles they're doing it again too. everytime i look at the ps vita i look at what titles i want and the only 2 i want are persona and maybe soul sacrifice.

Nintendo know how to run portable consoles and keep games exclusive to a platform (they do this with pokemon even though if they released a proper game on the WiiU it would move a crazy amount of units)

The ps vita isnt going to die but it will probably wither away except for japan like the psp did. Vita tv could easily end up being japan only as home consoles are not doing fantastic over there and they need a way of stopping 3ds dominance. there just doesn't seem to be the interest in the vita in the west (yet) because of how badly the psp did (ive played more nintendo games on my psp than psp games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Are you for real lads? Ps vita has its own issues, but it's not going to die in a year. Sony is working on it and it will be here to stay. End of story. You can hate it, you can moan about it not having games, you can bitch about it, that it's not a Nintendo handheld. No matter what, it is a good handheld and getting better.

I got both handhelds and, oh my god , I had a lot of fun with 3ds fire emblem and monster Hunter. I have traded in fire emblem and got killzone for vita and 3ds was not turned on for month. Both handhelds have some good games it's jjust the matter what you prefer and like. I have not bought a single game outside fire emblem and monster Hunter on 3ds. I don't liie Nintendo first party_ but that does not mean 3ds is bad for me now. I prefer games on vita now. When mh4 comes out . Will be back drooling over 3ds.

There is more mmoaning and bitching about vita then it deserves. It's fashion moaning at this stage. Like cod moaning.

Are you for real lads? Ps vita has its own issues, but it's not going to die in a year. Sony is working on it and it will be here to stay. End of story. You can hate it, you can moan about it not having games, you can bitch about it, that it's not a Nintendo handheld. No matter what, it is a good handheld and getting better.

I got both handhelds and, oh my god , I had a lot of fun with 3ds fire emblem and monster Hunter. I have traded in fire emblem and got killzone for vita and 3ds was not turned on for month. Both handhelds have some good games it's jjust the matter what you prefer and like. I have not bought a single game outside fire emblem and monster Hunter on 3ds. I don't liie Nintendo first party_ but that does not mean 3ds is bad for me now. I prefer games on vita now. When mh4 comes out . Will be back drooling over 3ds.

There is more mmoaning and bitching about vita then it deserves. It's fashion moaning at this stage. Like cod moaning.

There is a difference enjoying a system and a system doing well , because you have been enjoying the vita does not mean its going to be hear to stay.

there has already been talks of sony bundling the ps4 with the vita , what does that say about the vita ? that a system cant hold its own so they might be willing to bundling it with a ps4 hopefully to add some life into it.

I own a vita but instead of sony adding more experiences like gravity rush which can only be got on the system we get water down versions of console games.

the only uses my vita gets right now is playing psp games and ps1 classics thats it.

Its not moaning its a simple fact sony dont know how to properly treat and sell systems to people so what did they decide to do is to try to bring vita tv a cheaper module to get people buy that you play on the go games at your living room.

No one is going to play killzone mercenary nor buy a vita for it and it will be long forgotten in november when the ps4 and killzone shadow fall comes out.

The harsh truth is sony does not have the ips to move systems. is it a good system ? yes hardware wise is outstanding but its price and lack of software is abysmal something the wii u is criticised for alot it is justified to give the vita the criticism aswell.

the vita is very much like the neo geo home console

its a powerful system but overpriced with a lack of games that the average consumer wont buy

• Advertisement

Vita is not overpriced. Not anymore. Unless you are one of those people who want everything for 50p.
    Vita is expanding its library and sooner or later it will have its strong place in the market. It's a good system and has great hardware to last it for years in handheld market;

Why exactly bundling ps vita with ps4 is a bad thing? VITA WAS CREATED WITH PS4 IN FOCUS!!! It's a supportive piece of hardware, which is a very strong handheld too.

VITA has its issues in current state, but I just completely disagree with your point of view on it. You are expecting 3 years life sickle for vita, which is complete bollox. I will bookmark this thread and contact you in a year or so m8. We will be able to bury and sing out vita together so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really cannot see how the PS4 is going to somehow help the Vita?

Vita is not overpriced. Not anymore. Unless you are one of those people who want everything for 50p.
    Vita is expanding its library and sooner or later it will have its strong place in the market. It's a good system and has great hardware to last it for years in handheld market;

Why exactly bundling ps vita with ps4 is a bad thing? VITA WAS CREATED WITH PS4 IN FOCUS!!! It's a supportive piece of hardware, which is a very strong handheld too.

VITA has its issues in current state, but I just completely disagree with your point of view on it. You are expecting 3 years life sickle for vita, which is complete bollox. I will bookmark this thread and contact you in a year or so m8. We will be able to bury and sing out vita together so.

its very overpriced , even more so if you included the overpriced ps vita memory cards.

no one and i repeat no one will buy vita in its current state.

If the vita was designed with the ps4 means the vita was doomed out of the box. you can bookmark it , screenshot and put a ribbon on it the truth is the truth :pac: .

you keep saying the vita library will get better but you have stated in the past wii u was also overpriced even with the price drop and its lack of games , differences is mario, zelda , donkey kong will move systems can you name me one title sony has in their arsenal that would do the same.

also saying the vita is getting better i would sure hope so cause they have not done anything so far since the launch.

some indie developers have come out and stated due to the lack of games from 3rd parties vita users have been buying their games more.

nothing against indies but they speaks words on vita is.

You really do need to explain to me how when ps4 comes vita life will change cause i am not grasping how this will change anything.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It all depends on your needs. If I would lose both of my handhelds now, I would rebut vita first. Owning vita was one of the reasons of getting ps4 and not Xbox. The ps4 game streaming is a functionality that I was dreaming for ages. The 2 reasons I almost bought Wii u were monster Hunter 3 and ability to play full out console games on the tablet controller in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

the vita was never overpriced but the memory cards were and still are which they are a necessity. They'll expand the library no problem and will have a decent amount of indie games (if sony have it set up correctly). The problem with the vita's library will be the same that happened on the psp. you'll have the console edition and have the ps vita edition with limited features. its happening again the last game of note on the vita that wasnt a portable version/spinoff or an indie game was soul sacrifice.

people are unwilling in my experience to pay €50-60 on a game for the Home consoles then buy a spin off @ €40~ when a console is doesnt have the games to set it apart form its bigger brother people wont see the need to buy a vita.

The PS4/PS vita promises are all well and good but i heard the same thing about the psp and ps3 and while remote play is a good feature is it really a console seller probably not

I dont mean to **** on the vita as hard as it probably looks like im doing and ill probably get one when theirs more to play on it but i cant justify dishing out the bones of £200 to play 2-3 games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Some indie developers have come out and stated due to the lack of games from 3rd parties vita users have been buying their games more.

nothing against indies but they speaks words on vita is.

You really do need to explain to me how when ps4 comes vita life will change cause i am not grasping how this will change anything.

I was really hoping i`d get NHL, NFL & FIFA games on it as the likes of Madden would look lovely on a Vita but EA couldn`t give a toffee about it. :(
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don`t get it either, so I can play my PS4 games on a handheld, i`d rather play them on a controller & not use a backpad as a missing trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I don't understand this stone-age mentality of wanting to play games on your telly. If the WiiU has taught me anything it's that human relationships flourish more when you're pretending to care about Downton Abbey while smashing the living crap out of a room of Tyger guards. Is it just me or has Mr Bates become creepy now that he's no longer suspected of murder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Banjo wrote: »
    I don't understand this stone-age mentality of wanting to play games on your telly. If the WiiU has taught me anything it's that human relationships flourish more when you're pretending to care about Downton Abbey while smashing the living crap out of a room of Tyger guards. Is it just me or has Mr Bates become creepy now that he's no longer suspected of murder?

How dare you besmirch the character of someone like John Bates! :eek:

I own a PS Vita, but not a 3DS. I bought one off a boardsie earlier this year... €150 with a 16GB card, and like the true gamer he was, the system was like new. I've spent a fair chunk of time with it, and like it a lot. That is helped by the approx 25 games I own for it purely because of Playstation Plus. The screen is stunning.

At the same time, 3DS looks like it's properly hit it's stride now, and great games are coming out on it more consistently.

I reckon either is a good purchase, but make your decision on things like the games you're interested in, and what your friends have, not what some strangers are saying online ;)

GTR63 wrote: »
    I was really hoping i`d get NHL, NFL & FIFA games on it as the likes of Madden would look lovely on a Vita but EA couldn`t give a toffee about it. :(

I don`t get it either, so I can play my PS4 games on a handheld, i`d rather play them on a controller & not use a backpad as a missing trigger.

I like to lay in bed and play few games before going to sleep. Misses is watching her shiet on TV so I cant just go and say: "love, would you feck off, I want to play my ps4 now". So what, do I put a second TV in the Bedroom?! And no, I dont want to go to my Mancave to play games until I pass out in reclainer chair before work...
    Instead I can just turn on Vita, put any ps4 game I want to play and boom! Misses not pissed off, I am happy camper too. Madness, I know.

Then again, my handhelds have never left my house since I got them. Those are purely for indoor use or in the garden when we got good weather. So I would not be traditional handheld user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Given the choice of having to lose either my Vita on 3DS XL, I'd keep the Vita everytime. Just over the last months alone Persona 4, Guacamelee, Thomas Was Alone, Spelunky and Killzone Mercenary have eaten up more of my gaming time than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I have a Vita but it hasn't been used in months and I'm currently trying to sell it to fund a 3ds xl. The Vita is a great piece of hardware but watered down console games make up 90% of its titles. The 3ds on the other hand has a great library and will continue to get better. I honestly couldn't recommend the Vita in its current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Nail on head right there. I'll probably rarely play the PS4 on the Telly as we only have one. But the vita gives me the option to look like I'm interested in whatever crap she's looking at whilst still able to game away.

Also like the exclusives.

Uncharted - good
    Resistance - good
    Gravity Rush - excellent
    Tearaway - coming soon looks great

Lots of good reasons to own vita and I for one am delighted I went this route.

That said the 3DS for good nintendo IP's is another great option.

We're spoilt as gamers these days!
    I like to lay in bed and play few games before going to sleep. Misses is watching her shiet on TV so I cant just go and say: "love, would you feck off, I want to play my ps4 now". So what, do I put a second TV in the Bedroom?! And no, I dont want to go to my Mancave to play games until I pass out in reclainer chair before work...
    Instead I can just turn on Vita, put any ps4 game I want to play and boom! Misses not pissed off, I am happy camper too. Madness, I know.

Then again, my handhelds have never left my house since I got them. Those are purely for indoor use or in the garden when we got good weather. So I would not be traditional handheld user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

But the vita gives me the option to look like I'm interested in whatever crap she's looking at whilst still able to game away

PlayStation Vita - promoting marital bliss this holiday season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have a PS Vita and a 3DSXL (Pikachu edition, perfectly normal for a 36-year-old man).

I only picked up the Vita a while ago and I got a PS+ membership along with it, and it's great to be able to access so many free games. However, the free games aren't all that great in my opinion. Gravity Rush is decent, and Uncharted is very good too, but the game I'm playing most on the system is Hotline Miami which is 7.99 and can be played on PC. What's more damning is that, when I look on Amazon at the games I can buy, I have no interest in any of them. So many are like smaller versions of what you can get on PS3. Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and KillZone off the top of my head.

On the other hand, the 3DS is probably one of the greatest consoles of all time. The sheer number of triple A titles on it is frightening, and many of them are Nintendo exclusives. I bought more games on 3DS last year that any other console (Wii, Wii U, PS3, XBOX30) in any single year in the last three. I actually bout Star Fox 64 3DS for 9 euro and played it for 4 hours solid last night.

So if you love games, then the 3DS (preferably the 3DSXL) is the way to go.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have a PS Vita and a 3DSXL (Pikachu edition, perfectly normal for a 36-year-old man).

I only picked up the Vita a while ago and I got a PS+ membership along with it, and it's great to be able to access so many free games. However, the free games aren't all that great in my opinion. Gravity Rush is decent, and Uncharted is very good too, but the game I'm playing most on the system is Hotline Miami which is 7.99 and can be played on PC. What's more damning is that, when I look on Amazon at the games I can buy, I have no interest in any of them. So many are like smaller versions of what you can get on PS3. Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and KillZone off the top of my head.

On the other hand, the 3DS is probably one of the greatest consoles of all time. The sheer number of triple A titles on it is frightening, and many of them are Nintendo exclusives. I bought more games on 3DS last year that any other console (Wii, Wii U, PS3, XBOX30) in any single year in the last three. I actually bout Star Fox 64 3DS for 9 euro and played it for 4 hours solid last night.

So if you love games, then the 3DS (preferably the 3DSXL) is the way to go.

Gravity rush isnt just decent imo. I'd say one of the most innovative and beautiful looking games I've played on any platform recently.

Star Fox 64 3DS is a port of a game from 1996. I'm not saying thats a bad thing as I absolutely LOVE the game. I still play it nearly evey week on N64 but its still a port of game we've played long ago so probably not the best example you can use to try sell this system to someone, in the same way as Zelda OOT is just another port. Great game in its own right but still a port of an old (admitidly brilliant) game.

Nintendo are doing the same with the Wii U at the minute with Zelda Wind Waker.

Personally I dont go in for HD remakes of games I've already experienced. Maybe for some who didnt play them already but for me a system should be as innovative and fresh as possible.

For example I'm looking forward to Tearaway at the moment on Vita. I think it looks great from the previews on youtube.

All of that said I think there are many games on the 3ds to make it a great little/xl console.

Bottom line is to make the decision on this you need to look at what games are on each system and make the call yourself.

I wanted high end graphics with the link to the PS4 when I eventually buy it so it was a no brainer for me.

If I had wanted Mario, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc I would have gone with 3ds.

ps... I think the pokemon case looks cool on the 3ds xl and I dont even like pokemon!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Big Knox wrote: »
    I have a Vita but it hasn't been used in months and I'm currently trying to sell it to fund a 3ds xl. The Vita is a great piece of hardware but watered down console games make up 90% of its titles. The 3ds on the other hand has a great library and will continue to get better. I honestly couldn't recommend the Vita in its current state.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I got a Vita a few months back and to be honest, the only games I enjoyed were Uncharted and Rayman, havent picked it up since August, which is never good for a handheld. All Indie games can still be played on the PS3 so to me, whats the point...

I have PS+ and getting free games for the Vita each month is brilliant but I find I have no interest in the ones given for free and it makes me not want to buy on Vita game cause maybe in a year it will be free on PS+ :(.

Killzone COD etc do not interest me, Tearaway looks interesting but I know I am not going to pick it up.

Now with my 3DSxl, that thing gets played to death, so many awesome games on that thing and its only gonna get better with Pokemons (I dont have any interest) and Zelda next month too! Ninty just know how to run a handheld system for a mass market.

I feel that maybe Sony should have held off on releasing the Vita till maybe around now, or at release of the PS4 or maybe a few months after that as all I can see any use for it now is with a PS4 remote play, and I wont be getting a PS4 for a few years as there is years left in the PS3 and have a Wii U which I think is starting to build up steam.

Also, the idea (rumour) of a PS4 and Vita Bundle means the Vita is tanking and they have to do something to get Vita's into peoples hands/homes sadly, they would lose at least €100 on a bundle like that. I wonder if they will release the Vita TV thing in the west, the reason they are releasing that in Eastern markets only is because the home console is really on the way out in Japan. But it is an awesome idea to play Vita games and all Indie games from the Playstation store. and I would love a 3/DS Player for my Wii U but I think think thats never going to happen cause Ninty dont need to release something like that to help sales with the 3DS.

I dont know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Anything changed since this time last year between Vita and DS ?

I'm looking to buy a handheld this Christmas for a child.

I see Smyths are doing the Vita with 6 Lego games for €169.99, is this a good price ?

Satts wrote: »
    Anything changed since this time last year between Vita and DS ?

I'm looking to buy a handheld this Christmas for a child.

I see Smyths are doing the Vita with 6 Lego games for €169.99, is this a good price ?

Just go with 3DS or 2DS at this point. Even I lost all hope in Vita at this point. Your Child will have a lot more titles to play on it.

Just go with 3DS or 2DS at this point. Even I lost all hope in Vita at this point. Your Child will have a lot more titles to play on it.

If it's for a kid I'd agree. The vita can't compete with a 3DS for kids games. Plus there's plenty for adults if you want to play too.

The vita is a great console but it's a little more of a niche market. I love mine but can understand why others would rather a 3DS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3DS is the far better console at the moment but have to say the Vita has had a stellar year and if you are into weirder japanese games then it's a fantastic machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Bought a vita for my then 8 year old son last year, 3ds for the other 2, I'd say be plays with the old dsi as much as his vita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

3Ds probably my favorite console system since the SNES.

PS+ feature is certainly nice but I'd wait on it. 3Ds game library is leagues better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I might wait for the New 3DS now. Just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Can you look at Netflix and Youtube on the 3DS/2DS ?

Is the 3DS worth the extra 90 quid over the 2DS ? Are the games better ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

The 2DS is the 3DS without 3D and in a different form factor, so the games are the same.

No netflix as far as I'm aware. There is a Youtube app.

Edit: Looks like you can watch Netflix.

Advertisement