Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Referenda 2013 Tallies and Results

• 05-10-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭

Early indications are that its too close to call, although not a lot of boxes opened and tallied, plus tally numbers a lot lower than General Elections. Only thing certain is that it will be a lot closer than the opinion polls suggested

Thats the Seanad referendum btw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Bookies saying it will be defeated. Currently evens to carry, 1/2 for defeat. Enda with egg on face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

sandin wrote: »
    Bookies saying it will be defeated. Currently evens to carry, 1/2 for defeat. Enda with egg on face!

Wow, they were going 6/1 a no vote on Thursday thats some change

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Well there is a strong yes in Limerick City which surprises me. People seem to believe what Enda says about the savings. It will be a disgrace if a small minority of people can change our constitution

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wow, they were going 6/1 a no vote on Thursday thats some change

and kicking myself for not taking a punt especially after the 2 debates which I thinks swung the undecideds against. Micheál Martin was particularly strong in his argument and enda staying away told enough in itself.

Odds for No have gone to 1/4.

5/2 for a yes.

Looks like a 55% No vote. - That's a huge swing in the final few days.

sandin wrote: »
    and kicking myself for not taking a punt especially after the 2 debates which I thinks swung the undecideds against. Micheál Martin was particularly strong in his argument and enda staying away told enough in itself.

Had a couple of bets myself way back on no at 9/2 and 7/2 but had written them off in the run up glad to be getting a sweat now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looks like the Seanad Eireann will not be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    Well there is a strong yes in Limerick City which surprises me. People seem to believe what Enda says about the savings. It will be a disgrace if a small minority of people can change our constitution

That small minority were the only people who could be bothered to vote,shocking indictment on both voter engagement and the body politic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

For anyone l know who were in favour the savings factor never even came into the equation.

If a minority of the electorate vote for something but they're in the majority of those who turned out, the vote is carried, that's democracy for you at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mikofo

it appears

Its not going to be enda's way,

the people are beginning to wake up and stand up for themselves

mikofo wrote: »
    it appears

Yeah, they're all voting for a house in which the majority of them have no choosing who sits.

• Advertisement

Had a couple of bets myself way back on no at 9/2 and 7/2 but had written them off in the run up glad to be getting a sweat now

No sweat! methinks you can look forward to dropping by your local bookie later and coming out with some extra cash in your pocket!

Betfair now 1/100 for No, 22/1 for yes.

yes at the moment ,but reform will fix that....

gov/ enda will have no choice but to reform BOTH houses, now

You would think, but I'd wonder how likely that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

The back peddling by the Yes side is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

it appears

Maybe soon they'll progress from standing up to walking to their polling station and actually voting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Maybe soon they'll progress from standing up to walking to their polling station and actually voting?

You don't vote you don't matter. Every citizen has a duty to engage if they don't bother that is their tough luck.

fair play ,well put,,you were up very early this morning,,,, you know what I saying "in anyways"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

No choice?

There has been no reform for a few generations now.

With the Irish people looking like they prefer the status quo, there will be no chance for reform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If it thankfully is a no vote, then the reform of the Seanad must be taken out of the politician's hands, perhaps tacked onto the constitutional convention.
    At this stage, I'd not trust Kenny or Gilmore on any meaningful constitutional reform.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Horrid Henry

Personally, I'm delighted with what looks like being a "No" vote.

People claiming that they didn't understand what "Yes" or "No" meant when they were in the polling booth is embarrassing though. Read the booklet, read the paper and watch the news...ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

To be honest I'd didn't have much interest in this vote, at 1st I was with the Yes to abolish it.I viewed it as a job for the boys more cronyism until I seen Edna wanting a Yes vote.Edna is totally untrustworthy and I hope it will be his downfall.I voted No why because Edna said vote Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dave1982 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd didn't have much interest in this vote, at 1st I was with the Yes to abolish it.I viewed it as a job for the boys more cronyism until I seen Edna wanting a Yes vote.Edna is totally untrustworthy and I hope it will be his downfall.I voted No why because Edna said vote Yes!

Good god:rolleyes: You only latterly realised that Kenny was in favour?

Results coming in...

Galway East: Yes 51.37%, No 48.63%
    Tipperary South: Yes 50.41%, No 49.59%
    Limerick city: Yes 52.72% (No 47.28%)
    Cork South Central: No 51.27% (Yes 48.73%)
    Kildare North: No 54.61%, Yes 45.39%
    Cork North Central: YES 51.84% (No 48.16%)
    Kildare South: No 55.51%, Yes 44.49%
    Meath East No 52.58%, Yes 47.42%
    Dublin South West No 52.32%, Yes 47.68%
    Donegal South West No 50.42%, Yes 49.58%
    Dublin Mid West No 54.70%, Yes 45.30%
    Donegal North East No 51.69%, Yes 48.31%
    Limerick Yes 50.45%, No 49.55%
    Tipperary North Yes 50.38%, No 49.62%
    Waterford: No 53.46%, Yes 46.54%
    Kerry North–West Limerick: Yes 53.84%, No 46.16%
    Dublin North: No 54.67%, Yes 45.33%
    Clare: Yes 51.33%, No 48.67%
    Sligo-North Leitrim: Yes 50.76%, No 49.24%
    Longford-Westmeath: Yes 51.02%, No 48.98%
    Mayo: Yes 57.46%, No 42.54%
    Meath West: No 53.61%, Yes 46.39%
    Dún Laoghaire: No 57.10%, Yes 42.90%
    Dublin South East: No 61.33% , Yes 38.67%
    Dublin North West: No 54.69%, Yes 45.31%
    Dublin South: No 53.21%, Yes 46.79%
    Dublin North Central: No 54.77%, Yes 45.23%
    Dublin West: No 57.58%, Yes 42.42%
    Dublin North East: No 54.57%, Yes 45.43%
    Louth: No 52.33%, Yes 47.67%
    Dublin South Central: No 56.56%, Yes 43.44%
    Kerry South: Yes 54.48%, No 45.52%
    Cavan Monaghan: Yes 54.87%, No 45.13%
    Galway West: No 50.66%, Yes 49.34%
    Cork South West: Yes 50.94%, No 49.06%
    Cork East: No 51.40%, Yes 48.60%
    Wicklow: No 57.82%, Yes 42.18%
    Carlow-Kilkenny: No 50.53%, Yes 49.47%
    Wexford: No 50.09% , Yes 49.91%

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Limerick City has just over 52% yes and just over 47% No. The electorate was over 60,000 and just over 24,000 turned up to vote. Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Limerick City has just over 52% yes and just over 47% No. The electorate was over 60,000 and just over 24,000 turned up to vote. Its a disgrace.

Limerick has always had a low turnout and it's no real surprise as to why, it is a real shame.

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Limerick has always had a low turnout and it's no real surprise as to why, it is a real shame.

What is the surprise as to Limericks low turnout?

Weeeeeee, unexpected monies
    Paddy Power @paddypower

BREAKING: It was as big as 5/1 yesterday but we think it's now done & dusted. We're paying out on a 'No' result in the Seanad Referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

What is the surprise as to Limericks low turnout?

I said there was no real surprise, and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to guess why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Overdahill

I hadn't really decided how to vote, except that I felt the fact that the abolition and establishment of court of appeal being independent of each other was of concern. But spent the week reading, listening...and Regina Doherty on morning ireland on weds made my mind up. She explicitly stated that people needed to understand that of they didn't vote to abolish then NOTHING would change. Full stop. Her position was so absolute and so at odds with my view of how a democracy should work, I decided there and then. Here's hoping the country will carry the NO

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Overdahill

I said there was no real surprise, and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to guess why.

I'm no brain surgeon but would you like to enlighten me?

This is an embarrassing day for Enda Kenny. Hopefully today will mark the beginning of the end for him with people like Bruton, Creighton, Varadkar and Coveney taking power back by way of a heave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was a yes vote for abolish the seanad but I decided no as I didn't trust the yes side and the powers it was giving the the party in power not just now but years down the line.

Bruton I thought was terrible in the prime time debate and I think this might have swung a good few to the No's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Overdahill wrote: »
    I'm no brain surgeon but would you like to enlighten me?

I've just asked a neurosurgeon /brain surgeon and he doesn't know why either, come on then , why ??!

Care to enlighten us?

(without going on about surprises)

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    I was a yes vote for abolish the seanad but I decided no as I didn't trust the yes side and the powers it was giving the the party in power not just now but years down the line.

Bruton I thought was terrible in the prime time debate and I think this might have swung a good few to the No's

The party/ies in power control the seanad anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very close one to call, but it looks like the No constituencies are more emphatic than the Yes ones, so on balance the No should carry through. Lots of counts to come in yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

This is an embarrassing day for Enda Kenny. Hopefully today will mark the beginning of the end for him with people like Bruton, Creighton, Varadkar and Coveney taking power back by way of a heave.

I think I'll heave if that lot take control , the last ' heave 'went well as far as I recall.

seamus wrote: »
    Very close one to call, but it looks like the No constituencies are more emphatic than the Yes ones, so on balance the No should carry through. Lots of counts to come in yet though.

Not really close anymore seamus, its definitely a no vote now. Varadker even admitting on the TV

Oops69 wrote: »
    I think I'll heave if that lot take control , the last ' heave 'went well as far as I recall.

Fair point, although I'd take them any day over Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    The party/ies in power control the seanad anyway!

While this may be true, there are serious ramifications within the Irish constitution if the senead is gotten, something that was hardly mentioned if ever.

Michael McDowell highlighted this a few weeks ago. As much as i despise the man he made very valid points.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

We will have to do it all again. Clearly the will of the people has not been clearly expressed. EU style do over :rolleyes:

'Fine Gael parliamentary party chairman Charlie Flanagan admitted there was an element of confusion.
    "In spite of the best efforts of the Referendum Commission and those campaigning, there is evidence of voter confusion. Presiding officers in polling stations are being put in invidious positions where they have to advise voters on the question of Yes or No," he said.' - link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

seamus wrote: »

The issue is the No constituencies are trending towards being the big ones population wise and having a higher turnout and the Yes ones being the smaller rural ones with a worse turnout on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Trampas wrote: »

I'm worried that (a lot of) people might actually be swayed by a television debate.
    God forbid we think on our own two feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Manach wrote: »
    If it thankfully is a no vote, then the reform of the Seanad must be taken out of the politician's hands, perhaps tacked onto the constitutional convention.
    At this stage, I'd not trust Kenny or Gilmore on any meaningful constitutional reform.

+ 1,000,000

Varadker now saying that the low turnout means people dont care and there is no mandate to reform the seanad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Varadker now saying that the low turnout means people dont care and there is no mandate to reform the seanad.

Some fantastic logic there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Standard spin. Ignore what any of them say today or the next couple of days until they've done post mortems.

Well... The people were asked if they wanted the status quo.

and the people said 'yes'

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

While many of the No side were very well informed as to why they made that decision, others appear to have done so just to oppose government.
    Enda Kenny should have done the old 'reverse psychology' trick and sided with the No campaign if he really wanted the Yes side to win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement