Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icra 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Interesting.
    But there will be no change to the professional rule operating at the Fenit event and it was also agreed that the IRC rules were properly applied in Kerry and should be so applied in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Agreed.

This is also interesting...
    The question of whether a non-ICRA boat can win the National Championships was also raised and as it was an open event it was confirmed non-ICRA boats can win the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What on earth happened at the ICRAs last year?? I keep hear all sorts of pointed rumours, but it's like there's some kind of Omerta about it!

Any links to articles about whatever contentious issues arose :confused:

I wasn't there myself so I'm going on heresay, there was also no rule breach found so I'm not going to post specifics.

The jist of it was there was a level of unhappiness (in what is supposed to an amateur event) about allowing / condoning the use of non cat 1 competitors.

Steve wrote: »
    I wasn't there myself so I'm going on heresay, there was also no rule breach found so I'm not going to post specifics.

The jist of it was there was a level of unhappiness (in what is supposed to an amateur event) about allowing / condoning the use of non cat 1 competitors.

Yes you are on the right track there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But if there was a protest, surely the details must be in the public domain???

Presumably someone protested someone else regarding having a pro (or two, or ten) on board, but the protest wasn't upheld?

I've never heard of such secrecy about a sailing event! Most bizarre :confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But if there was a protest, surely the details must be in the public domain???

Presumably someone protested someone else regarding having a pro (or two, or ten) on board, but the protest wasn't upheld?

Some info that is in the public domain here
    http://cruiserracing.ie/2013_nats/juryboard/hearingschedule/index.php

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This is the stuff SA thrives on, in this case it would be potentially libelous to discuss it in public here (as nobody did anything wrong according to ISA judges) and it would be unfair on the mods here to even try and discuss it. I've had to ban users for similar discussions on one of the forums I mod.

Steve wrote: »
    This is the stuff SAin this case it would be potentially libelous to discuss it in public here (as nobody did anything wrong according to ISA judges.

Correct...

I always like to remind people of this paragraph in the the rule book, p10.
    SPORTSMANSHIP AND THE RULES
    Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire.

The non icra boat is another interesting topic. Glad to see that one was resolved. Such a shame it even arose!

Kinda think that icra comitee left the club in Fenit down on several of these topics:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

One of the issues thats come up in bar talk that icra need to sort out is boats from the north travelling. Hopfully next year a few might travel down especially if they want a championships held up there. In general though its unfortunate that people just cant or wont travel to events outside their home club or area. Be a good turn out next year but that will be down to a large fleet in dublin bay & howth.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    One of the issues thats come up in bar talk that icra need to sort out is boats from the north travelling. Hopfully next year a few might travel down especially if they want a championships held up there. In general though its unfortunate that people just cant or wont travel to events outside their home club or area. Be a good turn out next year but that will be down to a large fleet in dublin bay & howth.

+1

That said times have changed.
    People are far less willing to travel. It is such a hassle to deliver boat etc.
    People have so many different things going on.
    I always help out with the deliveries but most crew just won't or expect the owner to pay someone to do it. As a crew I feel it is the least I can do to help out where I can. But I am the minority!

But let's face it... If the weather was reliably goodish it would be different!

Advertisement