Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wasnt allowed vote

• 05-10-2013 10:53am

Had a strange one yesterday. I was told that i was not allowed vote yet received a polling card. They told me that i was taken off the register 3 years ago. Which is incorrect as i voted for the past 3 years.
    I asked why i was taken off the register and they had no excuse. I have told them that i have voted the past 3 years and they had nothing to tell me other then i cant vote. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Had a strange one yesterday. I was told that i was not allowed vote yet received a polling card. They told me that i was taken off the register 3 years ago. Which is incorrect as i voted for the past 3 years.
    I asked why i was taken off the register and they had no excuse. I have told them that i have voted the past 3 years and they had nothing to tell me other then i cant vote. :mad:

Who are 'they'? and how would they know why you were taken off the register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

They have a list of names on the register if you're not on it you can't vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Should have checked it out beforehand.

Based in Dublin , i went and checked, my family were all there on the list but i was removed despite receiving my polling card. We checked with all officers, and then called the head office who told me that i was removed in 2011.

This is clearly incorrect as i have been voting for the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

There's no record kept of who votes in an election, if you have a polling card there would of been a number on it that matches the number on the register, did it have a number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The guy ahead of me in the queue had a polling card, received the letter to go to the different polling station (Dublin South East), but wasn't on the list and wasn't allowed vote.
    Dymo wrote: »
    There's no record kept of who votes in an election
    Yes there is. The name of everyone who votes is crossed out from the copy of the register that the polling clerks have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

The electoral register should be as up to date as possible
    I thought it had improved in recent years but this ref. it seemed wanting
    it should be updated as part of the census forms - and updated regularly.
    I have heard more incidents of people getting cards for deceased relatives - and heard that some polling cards were sent using an old database in dublin.

when i was 18 i went to vote, after submitting to the council my voter reg form 6months earlier and was not on the list - and it quite annoyed me... to say the least.

My understanding was the forms with the lines through those who voted were kept and what the RO or their dept did i dont know.

Advertisement