Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have loads of eggs out tomorrow

Options
  • 05-10-2013 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I have 24 free range out of date tomorrow and A good few cadbury flakes to use up. Does anyone have any ideas how I could use them. I don't have to use the flakes if it limits the ideas for using the eggs.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

The eggs are probably fine for a few more weeks if they've been in the fridge.

Otherwise an omlette and a cappuccino... I'm not very good in the kitchen...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You could beat some and freeze them in portions that are handy for baking or glazing. Macarons or meringue would use a lot of egg whites too, and you can freeze the yolks or make custard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

fleet wrote: »
    The eggs are probably fine for a few more weeks if they've been in the fridge.

Otherwise an omlette and a cappuccino... I'm not very good in the kitchen...

Eggs are good for 28 days from laying, whether they are in a fridge or a pantry makes no odds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tree wrote: »
    You could beat some and freeze them in portions that are handy for baking or glazing. Macarons or meringue would use a lot of egg whites too, and you can freeze the yolks or make custard.

This, break them into batches of 3-4 eggs, beat them and then put them in ziploc bags and freeze them. Eggs freeze rather well.

Will be fine for baking/scrambled eggs/omelettes/etc when defrosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Eggs last for ages,

handy tip: eggs that are gone off float in a basin of water, good eggs sink to hte bottom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I love this chocolate brownie recipe - It uses 5 eggs and requires melted chocolate so could be a good way to use up some of what you have!

I use caramello chocolate when I make them and it really makes a difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Take a little picnic of egg mayonnaise sarnies to Merrion Park. Eat the flake for afters. Throw remaining eggs at politicians exiting the Dail. Lovely day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I love this chocolate brownie recipe - It uses 5 eggs and requires melted chocolate so could be a good way to use up some of what you have!

I use caramello chocolate when I make them and it really makes a difference :)

I think I love you.
    Off to buy some eggs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

ElleEm wrote: »
    I think I love you.
    Off to buy some eggs!!!

Enjoy! They are the easiest thing to make but they are also my "thing" - I make them for all gatherings with friends etc and they get wolfed down.

You can use rice flour instead of plain flour to make them gluten free (as long as you use gluten free cocoa) and they actually taste nicer. The texture is finer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could make frittatas with the eggs and freeze portions. There was a good thread about them recently http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83877573

Don't try to melt down the Flakes, it won't work. They're made with chocolate crumb and don't melt. They're only good for sprinkling over the top of things - or snacking on while you're baking ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Used most for this and made egg and onion mayo with the rest.

62KvEQ.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Your photo isn't showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Your photo isn't showing.

I can see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can see it.

I can't :confused:

I can see it.

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What is it?

Slice of chocolate cake.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Strange, I can see a link if I edit the post, but there's nothing showing. Maybe try a different image hosting site and see if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Angel Food Cake needs a lot of egg whites. I use Rachel Allen's recipe from her 'Cake' book. Really tasty and super light!! Instead of a lavender icing, I usually go with lemon. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/0129/3608-angel-food-cake/

You can always use the leftover yolks to make custard to go with it.

62KvEQ.jpg

Looks a bit dry but its not. Nothing spectacular but good for using up eggs..

It looks delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most found that is "out of date" is perfectly fine. Its just the EU are really restrictive on food use before dates. Most eggs are good for 3 months never mind 28 days. Like honey is perfectly good for tens of years, if sealed right. But it still has a best before date

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

62KvEQ.jpg

Good God that looks sublime. Is that ElleEm's recipe? How did you get the gooey goodness on top?

Merkin wrote: »
    Good God that looks sublime. Is that ElleEm's recipe? How did you get the gooey goodness on top?

I thought we were using ElleEms recipe! At least thats how it started off. I didn't realise my daughter decided to google another recipe until i asked her how much chocolate to break up. When she said what chocolate? I knew we had a problem:D.
    The plan was to use the eggs and chocolate:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Anyway we made this but it wasn't gooey as it should have been. We still had loads of flakes left so we melted then with some cream and thats the result. Dizzyblonde said the flake won't work because they are chocolate crumb and thats probably why it stayed runny, but its gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Do the test for eggs, drop them into glass of water. If they sink, they're fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vladicaris

what class of eggs ? :)

Advertisement