Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling & Triathlon - Does Timmy Barry have a point?

Options
  • 05-10-2013 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

http://www.stickybottle.com/blogs/ti...-relationship/

Very interesting piece in SB from Timmy Barry.

I think that he does up to a point - what is the view here?

I cycle regulalrly with triathletes and am always amaed at the dedication at different levels. I have marshalled at triathalons and have found the festival athmosphere described in that article to be accurate - it is an all weekend event for some towns briing in businesss to B&Bs, restaurants and bars.

It is nut IMHO that in many small towns there is a separate cycling club and tri club - from helping organising races more so-operation is better surely???

Cycling be comparison seems like an illicit sport.
    What also hits yoou at a tri is that you get all sorts competing from the elite guys down to the noobs - (if you go to the tri forum on Boards one gets the distinct impression that this really annoys some of the athletes, but inclusion is better than exclusion as long as everyoone understands that it is actually a race and is meant to be tough.)

Anyhow, what do folks think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As I said on the Sister thread on the cycling forum

I think he makes a good point about some sort of licensing crossover, need to be done carefully though or people would just plump for the cheapest. Not into Tri really but I would consider the odd duathlon given there's a series in the phoenix park, but the additional cost of a one day license really drives the cost up. But people from Tri competing in bike races and people from CI competing in Tris would do no harm to attendances and support for both disciplines.

Advertisement