Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing Full forward

• 05-10-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Recently got moved to playing full forward. Never played there before. First game I was poor enough. Anyone have any tips/tactics/advice they use for playing there..particularly high ball as not as good as id like to be even though I am tall enough bout 6 ft..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

jimjoe23 wrote: »
    Recently got moved to playing full forward. Never played there before. First game I was poor enough. Anyone have any tips/tactics/advice they use for playing there..particularly high ball as not as good as id like to be even though I am tall enough bout 6 ft..

You didn't say what sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimjoe23

The best one ..Sr hurling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

The out field players need to know what kind of ball you want played into you - along the ground, bouncing, into the hand. I played FF very occasionally and because Im 6'4 they would hit it 80 yards in the air and have it dropping on top of me, all the FB had to do was bat it out - it used to drive me mad. It took a few games for them to realise to hit it about 10 feet in the air and drop it into my hand.
    I hung around the big square as much as possible making my runs from there and always following points in in case they hit the post and dropped. Always keep moving and make little unpredictable runs. A FB loves a FF who will just stand in the one place and try and go toe to toe with them.
    Also NEVER pick a ball in the big square hit it (or kick it) on the ground and if your strike is good the keeper will need to pull off a save 9 times out of 10 and really you should be scoring 50 to 60% of them chances.

For the high balls I generally tried to bat it down for a CF to collect. I had a plan with the CF before the game i.e the first two ball ill bat to the left, the third ill bat to the front and the forth ill pull on and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ollie the Saint

move move move, fulll backs hate a guy who keeps runinng around and in they just want you to sit there and try get the 50/50 ball

Thanks lad I like that one about knocking it to left! Yeah move to where like to the corners r out the way .. I really must have a word with lads outfield about ball comin in they tend to feed the corner forward with great ball and I get the long high ones !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Practice short sprints and turning at speed as that is about 70% of what being full forward entails

Thanks guys for the great advice really helped.. just wondering if ye have any tips for catching the high ball..not just for full forward but in general..Im struggling with it with a while,,i catch with my left hand..can catch them all day pucking around but match situations i struggle ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

move move move, fulll backs hate a guy who keeps runinng around and in they just want you to sit there and try get the 50/50 ball

Move and make space but also realise that you must work with the two corner forwards. It's very easy to play against the predictable ball and the lads sending it in must use all the forward line. There will always be a lot of breaking ball and don't allow the goalkeeper to dominate. He must sense that there is danger from all three full forward line players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Where had you generally been playing up to now? And what would you consider a few key strengths and weaknesses of your general play?

Advertisement