Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the mental health service in ireland much good, been referred to a psychiatrist

Options
  • 05-10-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi, ive been referred to a psychiatrist for my anxiety problems, just wondering what the mental health service is like ? and what a meeting with a psychiatrist entails ? i first will have a psychiatric nurse call to my home to make an assessment, and been told a team will be involved ie, psychologists, nurse therapists.

has anybody any experience with the mental health service and had to visit a psychiatrist ? are they usually friendly ?
    also how old are psychiatrists usually ? im 31 would any be around my age or younger ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I've seen a psychologist for nearly 2years, and still have my regular hospital appointments as a check up, so i might be able to help you a bit with my expierences, ive had mixed experiences with psychologists/psychiatrists. Both bad and good, but mostly good. I'm not sure what the general age is, but some can be quite young maybe early 20's. but age wouldn't be an issue, they're all trained the same. I found the younger the nicer they were. The first guy I saw was in his 60's and a complete ass, but I made a complaint and never saw him again. The girl I saw afterwards was in her early 30's and I liked her a lot.

As for what to expect, you'll have an assessment first off by a nurse or even by a doctor. They'll just ask you some simple questions, they won't push for details if you don't want to speak about them. They just want to know whats going on. Once that's done, you'll also have an assessment with your psychologist/psychiatrist which usually lasts an hour. They'll once again ask you a few questions, but they mainly let you speak about what's troubling you. After that you'll have your regular appointments with your psychologist/psychiatrist which last an hour again. During those I can't say what will happen as such, as everyone is different. But know that you don't ever need to speak about something you don't want to. They're very friendly, and they are there to help. You'll never be rushed. Mine was so friendly and helpful I didn't want to stop having appointments with her!! :-) I hope that helped even a little.

Advertisement