Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the mental health service in ireland much good, been referred to a psychiatrist

Options
  • 05-10-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi, ive been referred to a psychiatrist for my anxiety problems, just wondering what the mental health service is like ? and what a meeting with a psychiatrist entails ? i first will have a psychiatric nurse call to my home to make an assessment, and been told a team will be involved ie, psychologists, nurse therapists.

has anybody any experience with the mental health service and had to visit a psychiatrist ? are they usually friendly ?
    also how old are psychiatrists usually ? im 31 would any be around my age or younger ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Jason9090................................GO!!!
    If you have any issues relating to your mental health, get it sorted.
    Fuc* it if you have a broken car, you get a mechanic.
    I went through an issue with my mental health a few years ago and found everyone involved excellent.
    Part of the recovery for me was anger management and this was for me key to recovery.
    The feeling of isolation and going through a situation alone is very difficult, but to end up with a room full of people from all walks of life and from different back rounds and age groups all there for similar reasons and all trying to reach a common goal along with individual battles being won is amazing.

What have you to loose..........?
    Good luck and I hope all works out.
    X1R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

The short answer to your question is, like most services in this country, they are under funded & short staffed. You will find good & bad working in the service. That said, it's all we have so we have to work with it.

Regarding your other questions. The age of doctors, nurses & therapists is really irrelevant once they are professional, caring and competent.

If you are having problems with your mental health it is vital that you go talk with people that can help. It's a brave move on your part to confront the problem, so many don't and end up far worse off for not seeking help.

Follow up on your referral and take it from there. Anxiety is an terrible thing to have to deal with. It impacts on all aspects of you daily life. It is hard to find people that understand it. At least health professionals should.

If you find that you cannot relate to those that you have been referred to remember that are other options available. There are many mental health NGO's out there such as Pieata House, Aware & GROW, (and many more), that can help.

The important thing is that you are open to getting some help.

Again, it's a brave move by you, well done.

Wishing you all the best.

Advertisement