Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite cable through gas flue

Options
  • 05-10-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can answer, because i've never seen this done. But next door have done it. They've mounted a satellite dish on the garden wall and then run the cable through the flue that comes from the gas boiler on the other side!

Surely this can't be safe, can it?

Sorry if its in the wrong forum - wasnt sure where to put it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

no it's not, stupid move that, be interesting to see if it's there after their next service.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

peteb2 wrote: »
    They've mounted a satellite dish on the garden wall and then run the cable through the flue that comes from the gas boiler on the other side!

Surely this can't be safe, can it?

In my opinion this is an extremely dangerous situation.

The flue is designed to provide a route for gasses from the boiler to safely escape to atmosphere. The flue should not be punctured under any circumstances.

I would guess that to use the flue as a cable conduit would have meant drilling the flue somewhere on the inside of the house. IMHO this is extremely unwise as there would now be a risk of toxic gasses filling an area within the premises and poisoning the people within.

Remember part of exhaust from a boiler is carbon monoxide, an invisible, odourless, highly toxic gas!
    I would suggest that you warn your neighbour immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have another look, it's very unlikely someone used the flue to run a cable.

More than likely they used the room vent to pass the cable into the room, not ideal, but probably be ok...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Aside from being dangerous and at risk of CO poisoning, the exhaust gasses will probably melt the insulation on the coax so the reception isn't going to last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

Steve wrote: »
    Aside from being dangerous and at risk of CO poisoning, the exhaust gasses will probably melt the insulation on the coax so the reception isn't going to last too long.

Think the reception is the last thing I would be worried out ,, another cowboy install ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Have another look, it's very unlikely someone used the flue to run a cable.

More than likely they used the room vent to pass the cable into the room, not ideal, but probably be ok...

No I know its the flue. Big cylindrical thing - have a matching one on the side of my house where boiler is.

Walking the dog and looked at other apartments and houses in the estates. Some have them through vents. But no one has done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

No I know its the flue. Big cylindrical thing - have a matching one on the side of my house where boiler is.

Walking the dog and looked at other apartments and houses in the estates. Some have them through vents. But no one has done this.

See if you can post a pic because I can't believe that someone would do something like that

[IMG][/img]r9jrps.jpg

sorry its so big. never done this before.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That looks as though the cables shares the same route though the wall as the gas flue, but do not pass through the flue itself.

• Advertisement

But how does it exit internally? The hole would be enclosed by the pipe from the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

But how does it exit internally? The hole would be enclosed by the pipe from the boiler.

The flue is made up of two pipes one inside the other the larger outer one is for air intake the smaller internal one is the gases out.The hole the flue is going through us a larger size than the flue and was proberly never filled up and the cable is going in that gap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

pure laziness ........

isn't there a risk of gases getting drawn back, in even if it's adjacent to flue pipe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As 2011 said, it shares the hole in the brickwork as the flue - probably will last and be no problem, but, the installer definitely rode off into the sunset waving his cowboy hat in the air :/

Advertisement